1st Round Mock

goldfishwars

On 12/31/2018 at 2:03 PM, goldfishwars said:

12. Green Bay Packers - Brian Burns [ EDGE ] FSU

WAY too small to play in Pettine's scheme.  I believe the smallest LB that was drafted under Pettine was Jerry Hughes, and he was a shade under 6'2", 255.  He's listed at 6'5", 235.  He's going to get absolutely swallowed up in the run game.  Pretty bad situation to be in right here.  IF Polite fits the physical threshold, he's probably a better bet.  Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, or one of the corners probably gets the pick here.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:03 PM, goldfishwars said:

32. Green Bay Packers (From New Orleans) - Noah Fant [ TE ] Iowa

Don't see them investing in a TE this early. Probably go DL here if they don't have an EDGE of value.

15 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not high on Ferrell, although admittedly I haven't watched him much. I'd rather have Oliver.

Im not sure what to think on him i like what i see when i watch the film and he shows alot of what you want from a high end defensive end pick.  But what im worried about is how much of his production is from those monster DT's Clemson has forcing them to him from the middle and not allowing them to step up in the pocket.  I would take him probably but would for the 1st few years worry that he's not gonna take it to the next level and hope he proves me wrong.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:31 PM, CWood21 said:

WAY too small to play in Pettine's scheme.  I believe the smallest LB that was drafted under Pettine was Jerry Hughes, and he was a shade under 6'2", 255.  He's listed at 6'5", 235.  He's going to get absolutely swallowed up in the run game.  Pretty bad situation to be in right here.  IF Polite fits the physical threshold, he's probably a better bet.  Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, or one of the corners probably gets the pick here.

Don't see them investing in a TE this early. Probably go DL here if they don't have an EDGE of value.

I know you know this but Pettine doesn't do the drafting for the Packers. That sounds more harsh than what I mean it to be but my aim is to say that while Pettine may have a voice in his preference for the physical profile of his rush linebackers, he won't be the one making the final call on it. And to leave a player off your draft list based on that doesn't make for a sound draft strategy imo. I think everyone knows that the Packers need help rushing the passer and if you draft a player like Burns, who is on the slender side for a 4-3 or 3-4 edge player, you are betting on him developing and being able to add weight in a pro strength and conditioning program. I think Burns has some elite athletic traits though for the position and can be used situationally until he is ready to take over full time. 

Archived