International Football Thread

LeeEvans

Didn't realize we didn't have one of these yet. 

Some pretty big news today, Wayne Rooney announces his international retirement. He leaves as record goal scorer for England.

I think this is best for both sides. Rooney can probably use the days off now that he is getting older and England really need to let their younger players taking a leading role at this point. Rooney would just be taking minutes away from the likes of Kane, Alli, Rashford, etc.

Best decision Rooney's ever made. 

Regardless of the media fawning over his 2 goals in 2 games, Wayne is not the same player he was 5 years ago.

This is good for England as it allows us to move on without his recall constantly lingering over. 

And it's good for Wayne as he can, for the first time in almost 2 decades, enjoy international breaks instead of spending weeks travelling to places like San Marino and Azerbaijan. It will help him stay fit and also allow him to spend more time with his family. 

20 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Best decision Rooney's ever made. 

Regardless of the media fawning over his 2 goals in 2 games, Wayne is not the same player he was 5 years ago.

This is good for England as it allows us to move on without his recall constantly lingering over. 

And it's good for Wayne as he can, for the first time in almost 2 decades, enjoy international breaks instead of spending weeks travelling to places like San Marino and Azerbaijan. It will help him stay fit and also allow him to spend more time with his family. 

Agreed. I really think that England need to embrace their young players and try and build a style that is similar to Spurs/Liverpool whose players make up a lot of the side. Rooney would just be an easy way to deter that. He had a great career for England but he offers nothing to the side that anyone else up front does. I think this will help him be appreciated by fans more as well, the longer he kept playing with worse and worse performances the more it would tarnish his accomplishments. 

2 hours ago, teamorange said:

Best English player of his generation? 

Depends on how you define generation? 

If you look back at his debut and evaluate his contemporaries, you would have to say unequivocally he was the best player of his generation. 

If you look at England's history from 2004-2016, nobody else really stands head and shoulders above the rest. 

Ashely Cole was probably our greatest ever LB. 

Steven Gerrard was much more effective for his club than country. 

Frank Lampard was much the same if not even worse than Gerrard. 

Rio & Terry were both stalwarts at the back, arguably our best ever CB pairing. 

Those are the only names really in the discussion and I think along with Rooney have all been guilty of failing to deliver at the top level. Only the defenders can argue England's profligacy wasn't down to them. 

I find it hard to rank Rooney highly amongst his contemporaries, which is probably unfair as I've been able to watch him far more than others. However, his record at major tournaments can't be overlooked and it isn't just the goals that let him down, he was consistently underpar in his performances. 

10 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Depends on how you define generation? 

If you look back at his debut and evaluate his contemporaries, you would have to say unequivocally he was the best player of his generation. 

If you look at England's history from 2004-2016, nobody else really stands head and shoulders above the rest. 

Ashely Cole was probably our greatest ever LB. 

Steven Gerrard was much more effective for his club than country. 

Frank Lampard was much the same if not even worse than Gerrard. 

Rio & Terry were both stalwarts at the back, arguably our best ever CB pairing. 

Those are the only names really in the discussion and I think along with Rooney have all been guilty of failing to deliver at the top level. Only the defenders can argue England's profligacy wasn't down to them. 

Yah those were the names I was thinking of, along with John Terry and Beckham. You can make a case for Owens as he probably had the strongest peak

3 hours ago, teamorange said:

Yah those were the names I was thinking of, along with John Terry and Beckham. You can make a case for Owens as he probably had the strongest peak

Owen and Beckham peaked late 90s - early 2000s really, too soon really for a comparison. 

The France vs. Netherlands is basically an contrast of two nations footballing strengths.

France has a generation that could potentially dominate in the international stage for a while. Like every position has a standout player. The absurd thing is, most of them are very young.

Netherlands on the other hand are somewhat mirroring their domestic league. Their world class talent is aging, and I'm not really impressed right now with their young players. Now to even qualify they need to win every game and overtake Sweden on goal differential.

Edited by Canadian Saint

It's a shame and stupid for someone who probably has a full time driver but I'll wait for details to come out before saying anything more. If he was completely plastered and got on the road it's completely inexcusable, especially being so close to home. Usually being pulled over at 2am is a sign you've been going at it for a while so he was probably pretty intoxicated but I won't speculate until more information is out. He certainly isn't the first footballer (or person) to be caught but if he was a danger to the public he should be punished accordingly.