International Football Thread

LeeEvans

Also, I think I'm going to be pulling for Mexico for most of the tournament. I know they're rivals but I usually root for them in the World Cup as another CONCACAF nation and frankly they're pretty fun to watch. 

That being said, as soon as we play them again I hope we smack the hell out of them. 

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Also, I think I'm going to be pulling for Mexico for most of the tournament. I know they're rivals but I usually root for them in the World Cup as another CONCACAF nation and frankly they're pretty fun to watch. 

That being said, as soon as we play them again I hope we smack the hell out of them. 

Eh, can’t do it. I get the feeling, and I wish I felt it, but I don’t. 

11 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

That would be great I just hope it isn’t stagnant and we go 0-3 with 0 Goals on home soil which as of right now is certainly in play but we got a couple of young-ish players I’ve read about even a player on Vancouver that was apparently being scouted by Man U so hopefully some of them pan out and we can get a few more my expectations wouldn’t be high but to win a game and finish 3rd in the group would be great. 

I think Canadians should definitely be optimistic for 2026. First off, if you haven't heard, Canada is starting it's own soccer league, the Canadian Premier League. It is backed by a lot of CFL owners and people who on the surface seem dedicated to creating a soccer league to help foster Canadian talent. An issue that hindered the development of a lot of Canadians in the past is a lack of playing time so hopefully the CPL gives the players who aren't MLS quality a chance to play and develop. Secondly, I think we have shown in the past that if we put funding and passion behind a project that Canadians can succeed. In Salt Lake City, we bombed and finished 19th in the medal count but then we had the Own the Podium initiative, ramped up funding for 2010 and we ended up first in golds and third in total medals. I have no doubt that with the World Cup coming to Canada, that there will be more money behind to program to help with development and coaching. This is an exciting time for Canada. It's like USA back in 94 and then having the MLS come up. We have 8 years to build the CPL and develop young players.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dotmotion said:

I think Canadians should definitely be optimistic for 2026. First off, if you haven't heard, Canada is starting it's own soccer league, the Canadian Premier League. It is backed by a lot of CFL owners and people who on the surface seem dedicated to creating a soccer league to help foster Canadian talent. An issue that hindered the development of a lot of Canadians in the past is a lack of playing time so hopefully the CPL gives the players who aren't MLS quality a chance to play and develop. Secondly, I think we have shown in the past that if we put funding and passion behind a project that Canadians can succeed. In Salt Lake City, we bombed and finished 19th in the medal count but then we had the Own the Podium initiative, ramped up funding for 2010 and we ended up first in golds and third in total medals. I have no doubt that with the World Cup coming to Canada, that there will be more money behind to program to help with development and coaching. This is an exciting time for Canada. It's like USA back in 94 and then having the MLS come up. We have 8 years to build the CPL and develop young players.

That’s pretty cool. Thanks for the updates I had no idea. My win a match and finish third prediction is off to a good start haha. 

2 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

That’s pretty cool. Thanks for the updates I had no idea. My win a match and finish third prediction is off to a good start haha. 

Our youth pipeline although promising, there isn’t many top level European quality players. Alphonse Davies is the player from the Whitecaps with a lot of promise and has shown up internationally like at the Gold Cup. Not sure if moving to Europe would be the best move right now. On one hand, getting better coaching would be important but he still isn’t a consistent talent at the MLS yet. Another exciting talent is Liam Millar who plays at the youth level for Liverpool. Got called up to a friendly in the Spring and was one of our best players. Our U21-18 programs are doing well, but it is always hard to tell at that stage if they can make it at a professional level. The best hope is that kids at the 18-22 get additionally support and funding so in 8 years they can be at least MLS quality players.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveDX said:

Ok, we’ve discussed our predictions for who wins it. Who do you think completely blows it?  Either in the group stage or crashing out early in the knockout?

I'll give two. I could potentially see Mexico failing to get out of the group. The other is France, I'm not sure what it is but I just don't buy into the French team. I think they're a bit like Belgium for me, they're good but they're not as good as they should be and they just dont feel like much of a team to me. 

13 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Terrible decision. He's not complaining though.

Did you see him flip off the entire world? At what point did he think "I know, I'll put my middle finger up to nearly 1 billion people...". The guy is an utter cretin. How old is he now?! People are like "Yup, the English have arrived" :(

1 hour ago, kempus said:

Hopefully they fail miserably. I hate watching Spain play. Bore me to sleep.

Whaaa? It's beautiful. Watching an opposition have their morale sucked out of them because they realise how inferior they are, and cannot do anything about what they're witnessing is great.  :D 

13 hours ago, DaveDX said:

Ok, we’ve discussed our predictions for who wins it. Who do you think completely blows it?  Either in the group stage or crashing out early in the knockout?

One of Spain and France. Tempted to say Spain now that they're a bit unsettled, but they blew the last one.

Argentina, I'll go with. They are the best in the group, but I could easily see them upset. 

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Whaaa? It's beautiful. Watching an opposition have their morale sucked out of them because they realise how inferior they are, and cannot do anything about what they're witnessing is great.  :D 

I find it mind numbingly boring.