International Football Thread

LeeEvans

BTW England are absolutely dreadful. 

Another undefeated qualifying campaign about to be followed up by an absolute disaster of a tournament. 

Feel sorry for the 50,000 or so who had to watch that dross live, I've made that mistake twice, never again. 

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

80% chance only? 

Apparently.  I thought the same when I saw it, but either way the thing I take out of it is that there is a reasonable chance that both teams that contested the last two Copa Americas (regular one in 2015 and the Copa Centenario in 2016) in Chile and Argentina both don't make the WC

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

The WC % assumes that whoever comes 5th has an 80% chance of beating New Zealand over the 2 legged inter-continental play-off

Interesting that Argentina has the least chance of making it according to their system

This is madness and I love it. Rooting for Colombia, Peru, and Paraguay to grab spots 3-5

12 hours ago, texans_uk said:

BTW England are absolutely dreadful. 

Another undefeated qualifying campaign about to be followed up by an absolute disaster of a tournament. 

Feel sorry for the 50,000 or so who had to watch that dross live, I've made that mistake twice, never again. 

Kane and Rashford are the only hope England has. 

11 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I just really don't understand how they can be so poor all the time. Southgate is a bang average manager, but no manager succeeds. 

I don't know if they will be bad in the WC tbh. At the Euro lots of young guys started their first big international competition so they may have lacked experience against Iceland. I think they'll be decent in Russia. That being said, if you look at the starting XI, aside from Kane, very few players would start for Brazil/Spain/Germany/France so fair expectations would probably be quarterfinals

2 hours ago, TedLavie said:

I don't know if they will be bad in the WC tbh. At the Euro lots of young guys started their first big international competition so they may have lacked experience against Iceland. I think they'll be decent in Russia. That being said, if you look at the starting XI, aside from Kane, very few players would start for Brazil/Spain/Germany/France so fair expectations would probably be quarterfinals

It's the same every 2/4 years. Unbeaten qualifying campaign. Beat Germany/Spain/Italy in friendly. Clueless at tournament.

2 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Kane is the only world class player England currently have. But, even when they had world class players littered across the team, they still failed miserably at tournaments. I don't know the solution, but playing as a team would probably be a good start.

Edited by kempus

34 minutes ago, kempus said:

Kane is the only world class player England currently have. But, even when they had world class players littered across the team, they still failed miserably at tournaments. I don't know the solution, but playing as a team would probably be a good start.

I've said it before but they really need to go all in on the younger players that they have at Spurs and Liverpool and try to play a bit like them. It might fail but at least it's something new and different and could maybe develop a bit of an actual style of play/system.

16 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

The 2018 WC participants is starting to take shape:

Germany, Spain, England & Belgium have all qualified. 

Interest turns to Group A, D & I where top spot is still wide open

Have to fancy France, Poland, Portugal, Iceland and Serbia to wrap up the automatic spaces.