International Football Thread

LeeEvans

They're just a way to make what would usually be a period of international friendlies matter somewhat.

IIRC the winner of each league gets direct entry to Euros - so for teams like Armenia or Georgia, who could win League D, it could be quite lucrative.

23 hours ago, drd23 said:

They're just a way to make what would usually be a period of international friendlies matter somewhat.

IIRC the winner of each league gets direct entry to Euros - so for teams like Armenia or Georgia, who could win League D, it could be quite lucrative.

Interesting. So it's not part of qualifying at all?

54 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Interesting. So it's not part of qualifying at all?

Technically it is, but not really.

Basically UEFA is divided up into 4 Leagues, with each League made up of groups of 3 nations who play each other twice.  The winners of those groups then go into a play-off against the other group winners in their league.

The winners of these play-offs have been guaranteed a spot at the Euro Championships, so for the winners of the lesser Leagues it kinda is part of qualifying

• 5 months later...
On 18/10/2018 at 2:51 PM, drd23 said:

The winners of these play-offs have been guaranteed a spot at the Euro Championships, so for the winners of the lesser Leagues it kinda is part of qualifying

This isn't true. Doing well in the Nations League just gives you a better seeding for the new Euro Championship Qualification Playoff format (and also better seeding for the Qualification groups).

"Unlike previous editions, the participants of the play-offs will not be decided based on results from the qualifying group stage. Instead, 16 teams will be selected based on their performance in the Nations League. These teams will be divided into four paths, each containing four teams, with one team from each path qualifying for the final tournament. Each league will have its own play-off path if at least four teams are available.

The Nations League group winners will automatically qualify for the play-off path of their league. If a group winner has already qualified through the conventional qualifying group stage, they will be replaced by the next best-ranked team in the same league. However, if there are not enough teams in the same league, then the spot will go to the next best team in the overall ranking. However, group winners cannot face teams from a higher league."

I feel for the Dutch because they did well in the Nations League but still drew Germany in the Euro 2020 qualification group stage. The Nations League will really matter to them because of the final 4 times, they are most likely to need the 2nd chance to qualify (Portugal too after drawing their first 2 games).

In all likelihood, winning the tournament won't benefit England because they have a cakewalk group anyway. That said, it's building momentum for the young team and getting results against good teams (Spain in Spain, unbeaten against Croatia) will do wonders for them.

I've never been this excited about an England group before, especially from an attacking perspective. You could make an argument to say that England has the best attacking options in World Football right now. And as for last night - Montenegro have had enough chances now. I am sick of their actual FA never coming out and apologising for their scummy racist fans, and I am sick of UEFA fining Bendtner more for showing advertising on his boxers than what FA's get fined for racism.

Ban them - simple.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2019 at 9:11 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

And as for last night - Montenegro have had enough chances now. I am sick of their actual FA never coming out and apologising for their scummy racist fans, and I am sick of UEFA fining Bendtner more for showing advertising on his boxers than what FA's get fined for racism.

Nothing announced yet but I guarantee it will be a pitiful fine and maybe a game with either a stand closed or one game behind closed doors.

UEFA/FIFA aren't interested in anything other than Benjamins.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Hope some of you root for us Incas on Sunday. 1st copa final since 1975. Vamos Peru

I am - and not just because one of my buddies is Peruvian (he's legitimately so excited about the final he offered to foot the whole bill for anyone who wanted to come watch it a bar with him).

Over/Under on how many the First XI regulars actually play in the 3rd place final?  This reeks of "game Alexis will sit out."

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

I am - and not just because one of my buddies is Peruvian (he's legitimately so excited about the final he offered to foot the whole bill for anyone who wanted to come watch it a bar with him).

Over/Under on how many the First XI regulars actually play in the 3rd place final?  This reeks of "game Alexis will sit out."

Not surprised, a lot of my buddies are having big parties for the weekend. Big soccer moment for us, take the under on that.

• 1 year later...
On 9/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Getting harder and harder to defend international football atm

😴

I agree - it just gets in the way of the club season now. I used to like international breaks but they are so boring now

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...