Wild Card Round - Texans vs Colts

ET80

What opened my eyes the most - how far ahead the Colts are now in this division. We might be "2018 division champs" but this division runs through Indy for the foreseeable future:

- We have a ton of money in Free Agency, but so do the Colts; They have somewhere at $100mm available, and don't have as many key guys to re-sign like we do (Ryan Kelly and Eric Ebron come to mind, and extending Kelly/retaining Ebron would cost less than keeping Clowney). It the Colts wanted Kareem Jackson, they could offer him more money than we could. Le'Veon Ball has pretty up front that he would want to sign there, and they have the money for it (it'll depend on how they feel on Marlon Mack, and it's hard to not like Mack). If we did something foolish and NOT tag Clowney, the Colts have the money to pay him as much as Mack/Donald (and the coaching to get him to Mack/Donald status).

- We have a window; It's only three years before we have to consider a HUGE extension for Deshaun Watson. Colts already have Andrew Luck on his huge extension, so they don't have to press to get the lineup on point before they blow their cap. They can take a few risks. 

- We have two picks in the 2nd. So do the Colts, thanks to the Sam Darnold trade. Their "extra" 2nd is a top 5 pick in Rd 2, whereas ours is that Seattle pick.

I don't see where the Texans have any sort of advantage over the Colts right now. And, I don't see how we can close that gap - if anything, the Colts are in position to widen the gap.

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

What opened my eyes the most - how far ahead the Colts are now in this division. We might be "2018 division champs" but this division runs through Indy for the foreseeable future:

- We have a ton of money in Free Agency, but so do the Colts; They have somewhere at $100mm available, and don't have as many key guys to re-sign like we do (Ryan Kelly and Eric Ebron come to mind, and extending Kelly/retaining Ebron would cost less than keeping Clowney). It the Colts wanted Kareem Jackson, they could offer him more money than we could. Le'Veon Ball has pretty up front that he would want to sign there, and they have the money for it (it'll depend on how they feel on Marlon Mack, and it's hard to not like Mack). If we did something foolish and NOT tag Clowney, the Colts have the money to pay him as much as Mack/Donald (and the coaching to get him to Mack/Donald status).

- We have a window; It's only three years before we have to consider a HUGE extension for Deshaun Watson. Colts already have Andrew Luck on his huge extension, so they don't have to press to get the lineup on point before they blow their cap. They can take a few risks. 

- We have two picks in the 2nd. So do the Colts, thanks to the Sam Darnold trade. Their "extra" 2nd is a top 5 pick in Rd 2, whereas ours is that Seattle pick.

I don't see where the Texans have any sort of advantage over the Colts right now. And, I don't see how we can close that gap - if anything, the Colts are in position to widen the gap.

I think we are right there with them. Our trio of WR will be the best in the league, and that’s not counting possibly having DT on a super cheap deal about mid way through the season. 

Watson is the real deal. He can be just as good as Luck 

out defensive front 7 is better than the colts. 

Offensive line and secondary are our two weak spots. Fix them and we are gonna be legit. 

• 2 weeks later...

As long as BOB is the coach the Texans wont accomplish anything in the postseason. I'm a huge fan of Watson, but he's never reaching his full potential with BOB. But the Texans' ownership is perfectly content with making the playoffs, then going home. Perhaps with enough talent and improvement from Watson the Texans can be successful despite their coach, as we saw this year. Wont be easy.

Archived