Antonio Brown missed wk. 17 game due to dispute w/ teammate

Apparition

On 1/7/2019 at 11:37 AM, Forge said:

what he pulled absolutely deserved a benching in the game. It still goes back around to him. I don't think that you let him off the hook for showing up to play.

If it was such an important game, is it really the time to bench a player who is otherwise ready to play (and will probably be the best football player in the game that day) just to send a message?

Did Tomlin have to bench him?

If you can't say that the answer to both of those questions is unequivocally "yes", then you can't say that it's truly AB's fault for missing the game. 

Yes he put himself in the position to possibly be benched, but he didn't put himself in the position to be unable to have a positive impact on game day. He wasn't in jail or drunk or otherwise PUP, and he hadn't committed such an egregious act that the team was forced to bench/cut him for PR reasons.

Mike Tomlin took AB out for the game because he thought it was either the best way to help AB be a better player for the team going forward, or because he wanted to send a message to help fix the culture of the team, or both. And it was probably best for him to do so, but don't act like AB forced anybodies hand here.

We've seen other players do more and not be benched before because the coach decided that their impact on that game had more value than sending a message.

Just now, TXsteeler said:

If it was such an important game, is it really the time to bench a player who is otherwise ready to play (and will probably be the best football player in the game that day) just to send a message?

Did Tomlin have to bench him?

If you can't say that the answer to both of those questions is unequivocally "yes", then you can't say that it's truly AB's fault for missing the game. 

Yes he put himself in the position to possibly be benched, but he didn't put himself in the position to be unable to have a positive impact on game day. He wasn't in jail or drunk or otherwise PUP, and he hadn't committed such an egregious act that the team was forced to bench/cut him for PR reasons.

Mike Tomlin took AB out for the game because he thought it was either the best way to help AB be a better player for the team going forward, or because he wanted to send a message to help fix the culture of the team, or both. And it was probably best for him to do so, but don't act like AB forced anybodies hand here.

We've seen other players do more and not be benched before because the coach decided that their impact on that game had more value than sending a message.

Yes. 

Yes. 

Unequivocally. 

But that's me. 

Just now, Forge said:

Yes. 

Yes. 

Unequivocally. 

But that's me. 

What would have happened had Tomlin not benched AB?

Is benching him worth the chance of having such a good player possibly be the difference between winning and going to the playoffs (and possibly winning a SB given how the team had played against the chargers, saints, patriots, and chiefs) and losing and missing the playoffs in one of the last years of your window to win a SB while you still have a good QB?

6 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Is benching him worth the chance of having such a good player possibly be the difference between winning and going to the playoffs (and possibly winning a SB given how the team had played against the chargers, saints, patriots, and chiefs) and losing and missing the playoffs in one of the last years of your window to win a SB while you still have a good QB?

I have no problems with benching him. I won't argue with people who say it wasn't worth it, but I certainly have no issues myself with doing it. Ultimately, Brown is the most responsible for not playing in that game. 

7 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Yes. No player is bigger than the team. No player gets to not abide by the team rules to ABs extent and show up on game day like nothing happened. It's that kind of negligence and special treatment that creates a egotistical monster like AB and shakes the foundation of the organization.

Steelers owner says it's 'hard to envision' Antonio Brown still on team for camp

PITTSBURGH -- Antonio Brown won't be released but "all other options are on the table" regarding his future with the Pittsburgh Steelers, team president Art Rooney II told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Brown's absence from Week 17 practices resulted in a benching for the season finale against the Cincinnati Bengals, and during that week Brown had a flare-up in a team setting.

Rooney said in the Post-Gazette interview that it would be "hard to envision" Brown as part of the team when it reports to training camp in late July.

A trade can't be executed until the start of the new league year March 13, and, perhaps more important, Brown's $2.5 million roster bonus due March 17 would incentivize the Steelers to deal him.

The Steelers would absorb $21.12 million in 2019 dead money on the salary cap by trading Brown, but taking his $22.165 million cap charge off the books would offset that cost. Brown enters the third year of a five-year, $72.7 million extension signed before the 2017 season.

Rooney said in the interview that salary-cap implications would not "box us into anything." The team president added he and coach Mike Tomlin have not spoken to Brown.

Brown has not formally requested a trade. Sources close to Brown said the All-Pro has been frustrated with team dynamics for a while but has not mentioned the desire for a trade since the season ended.

Shortly after Rooney's comments became public, Brown sent out a tweet with a photo of him shaking Rooney's hand in front of Steelers logos. The photo was taken at the team news conference in February 2017 to announce Brown's new four-year, $68 million contract extension. It's not clear what Brown meant by the caption.

Rooney said he will talk to some key players to see how they feel about Brown, 30, returning next season.

"That's one of the questions we have to answer -- whether we can get to a point where we all feel good about him being on the roster next year," Rooney said. "We have a way to go before we feel good about that."

Steelers linebacker Bud Dupree told ESPN that the Steelers have "family issues" that appear to revolve around Brown and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who have combined to produce six consecutive 100-catch seasons for Brown. Roethlisberger said during his end-of-season radio appearance with KDKA-FM 93.7 the Fan Pittsburgh that he wants Brown to stay and that he had a good conversation with the receiver in Week 17.

"We don't really know what's going on, we just know [Brown and Roethlisberger] are heated at each other," Dupree said. "It's not Coach Tomlin, it's two grown men, two free players butting heads. ... We have to learn how to be together [as a team]. We have to put it in the open and stop hiding."

A source said Brown "went off" on a teammate and skipped multiple meetings and practices before and after the season finale against the Bengals.

Rooney said he believes the issues are bigger than one practice, which is why he'd like to speak with Brown. Brown missed a workday in Week 3 for what he called a personal matter and also left training camp for a few days for what Tomlin called a lower-body injury.

"There's no sense making the decision now. We'll see how things play out," Rooney said. "Maybe he decides to come talk to us someday and we learn more about where he is. We'll see."

On 1/5/2019 at 4:17 PM, Jakuvious said:

It isn't a no brainer at all. His stats are arguably all-pro this year. He was 9th in catches. 11th in yards. Most of the guys ahead of him in yards had better yards per reception, as well. He had the TD lead, but other than that, nothing statistically about his season should put him in that territory. So it's arguable, not clear or a no brainer. Hell, the guy who had the most similar season to him statistically was probably Davante Adams, and he didn't make it either.

Tell me the last time the clearcut TD leader in the league didn't make 1st or 2nd Team All-Pro? 

I'm sorry but I see no way Tyreek Hill had a better season than Antonio Brown. 

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

I'm sorry but I see no way Tyreek Hill had a better season than Antonio Brown. 

Take away receiving TDs and Tyreek had a better season in EVERY way.

Yards, yards per, catch rate, rushing, returning, scaring the crap out of every defensive coordinator in the league. Tyreek was the ultimate weapon in the league this year.

Brown had 1 more total TD and 31 more targets. About it. One less game and a couple less practices I guess.

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Tell me the last time the clearcut TD leader in the league didn't make 1st or 2nd Team All-Pro? 

Well if you're talking overall touchdown leaders, it wouldn't be applicable since he didn't lead in touchdowns.

If you are talking receiving touchdowns, it was two years ago... Jordy led the NFL in receiving touchdowns and was not first or second team

In 2015, Baldwin and Robinson tied for the lead, neither was an all pro. Brandon Marshall made the second team and he was the other guy who led the league

In 2012, James Jones was neither a first or second team selection

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well if you're talking overall touchdown leaders, it wouldn't be applicable since he didn't lead in touchdowns.

If you are talking receiving touchdowns, it was two years ago... Jordy led the NFL in receiving touchdowns and was not first or second team

In 2015, Baldwin and Robinson tied for the lead, neither was an all pro. Brandon Marshall made the second team and he was the other guy who led the league

In 2012, James Jones was neither a first or second team selection

Yeah, it happens.

Gates was tied with Gronk for most touchdowns among TEs in 2014 and he not only did not make an all-pro team, but also wasn't selected for the pro bowl. 

Archived