Antonio Brown missed wk. 17 game due to dispute w/ teammate

Apparition

4 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Tell me the last time the clearcut TD leader in the league didn't make 1st or 2nd Team All-Pro? 

I'm sorry but I see no way Tyreek Hill had a better season than Antonio Brown. 

Luckily, several others already covered it. But it's happened a number of times in recent years. And Hill had a better year in basically everything but TDs. Even if you dig deep and go for things like PFF grade or AV or DVOA or DYAR you're not going to find a metric or stat or grading that says Brown had a better year. It's pretty clear cut in Hill's favor.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:54 PM, Forge said:

Well if you're talking overall touchdown leaders, it wouldn't be applicable since he didn't lead in touchdowns.

If you are talking receiving touchdowns, it was two years ago... Jordy led the NFL in receiving touchdowns and was not first or second team

In 2015, Baldwin and Robinson tied for the lead, neither was an all pro. Brandon Marshall made the second team and he was the other guy who led the league

In 2012, James Jones was neither a first or second team selection

Well then. Well played. Perhaps I am just soured by the fact that AB just had a better season than Dez's 2013 where he was First Team All-Pro over Jordy Nelson because "TOUCHDOWNZ!"

On 1/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Take away receiving TDs and Tyreek had a better season in EVERY way.

Yards, yards per, catch rate, rushing, returning, scaring the crap out of every defensive coordinator in the league. Tyreek was the ultimate weapon in the league this year.

Brown had 1 more total TD and 31 more targets. About it. One less game and a couple less practices I guess.

Hill also played in an additional game. Prior to that additional game he had less than 100 more yards and 4 less touchdowns. He also did so on an offense featuring immensely more playmakers where Hill wasn't even the #1 option, that would be Kelce, whereas Brown was the number one option in Pittsburgh. There's also the part where Hill was playing with an immensely better QB. You mentioned targets while ignoring that Ben Roethlisberger to Brown featured the most missed connections due to erroneous throws from the QB whereas Mahomes to Hill was on the other side of the spectrum. Plain an simple, I feel if you were to ask more Defensive Coaches who you have to gameplan for on every snap this season they would say Brown. Hill has the speed but he is still limited. Chiefs would still have Kelce putting up a 1,000 yard clip and Watkins capable of putting up an 800 yard clip. Juju, however, would not be a 1,400 yard clip guy without Brown. Vance Joseph admitted as much. Not going to say Cheetah wasn't deserving, but I think it's a little crazy to act like Hill was definitely better of the two.

17 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Hill also played in an additional game. Prior to that additional game he had less than 100 more yards and 4 less touchdowns. He also did so on an offense featuring immensely more playmakers where Hill wasn't even the #1 option, that would be Kelce, whereas Brown was the number one option in Pittsburgh. There's also the part where Hill was playing with an immensely better QB. You mentioned targets while ignoring that Ben Roethlisberger to Brown featured the most missed connections due to erroneous throws from the QB whereas Mahomes to Hill was on the other side of the spectrum. Plain an simple, I feel if you were to ask more Defensive Coaches who you have to gameplan for on every snap this season they would say Brown. Hill has the speed but he is still limited. Chiefs would still have Kelce putting up a 1,000 yard clip and Watkins capable of putting up an 800 yard clip. Juju, however, would not be a 1,400 yard clip guy without Brown. Vance Joseph admitted as much. Not going to say Cheetah wasn't deserving, but I think it's a little crazy to act like Hill was definitely better of the two.

Yeah, Watkins isn't nearly as good as JuJu. I'd be much more scared to face Hill than Brown. Hill is just the better physical specimen and he has become a great receiver on top of it. To be fair, I'd be more scared of Hill than any WR in the game, maybe than any player in the game. He makes NFL defenses look like high school defenses. It isn't fair. Brown's resume still has him as a better receiver just because but in 2018 (and going forward) Hill was superior.

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Hill playing an extra game is at least partially Brown's fault, so using that to pump up Brown's stats comparatively doesn't make sense, especially for something like all-pro. Even if it wasn't his fault, all-pro is an assessment of just that season's contributions, not necessarily quality of play, so missing the game still does and should hurt Brown's chances. No different from missed games due to injury hurting a player's chances at being all-pro. You take the stats and production as they are.

Hill was the #1 option on our offense. Most touches, most yards, most TDs, most central to the playbook.

Brown still had more catchable targets than Hill did.

Hill's not a limited player. He's about as versatile as it gets given that he's now running a full route tree well, in addition to the gadget plays he contributes on.

I would argue at this point Hill impacts gameplans more than Brown. Brown is just a great WR. You don't have to do anything drastically game plan altering to account for that, you just know that he'll get his. Hill has a drastic impact on gameplans due to his speed. They highlight every week how much attention he draws, how there's a constant deep safety presence on his side, etc. It's like Ezekiel Elliott might be a better RB than Alvin Kamara, but you have to gameplan for Kamara as he present more unique challenges, while Elliott is just a very high quality, but relatively traditional, RB. You have to prepare for the speed, the jet sweeps, the motion and misdirection with Hill. With Brown you just need to cover really really well. Hard to do, but more execution than gameplan.

Keep in mind, you're the one who was saying there's no way Hill had the better season. No one on the other side was saying anything definitively. I said Brown's numbers were arguably all-pro, just not clearly all-pro as another poster claimed. You said no way did Hill have a better season. You're the one saying that a guy definitely had the better year of the two.

Archived