Just now, JetsandI said:

LB options for FA.  Under 30 years old.

OLB Jordan Hicks, Eagles

LB Anthony Barr, Vikings

MLB Kwon Alexander, Buccaneers

WLB Deone Bucannon, Cardinals.

LB Gerald Hodges?, Cardinals.

LB Mychal Kendricks?, Seahawks.

Barr is the best of the bunch. Kendricks could end up in prison. 

Is it just me or would Barr be better as a "LEO" in a 4-3 rather than stand him up as a LB.  I know he can do it which is great but the guy was a double digit sack guy in college for multiple years and was talked about as the next great pass rusher.  Now he's relegated to a 4-3 SAM LB?

If we want to make a splash and sign 2 pass rushers so we can use the 1st rounder on a OT like Jonah then why can't Barr put his hand in the dirt and be the pass rusher he's supposed to be?

Barr and Flowers would be awesome 

Nickel Defense

DL - Barr (Leo), WIlliams (3-Tech), Shep/Anderson/Pennel (1-Tech), Flowers (5-Tech)

LB - Adams (SS/WILL), Williamson (MIKE), Lee (SAM)

3 CB's and FS

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Is it just me or would Barr be better as a "LEO" in a 4-3 rather than stand him up as a LB.  I know he can do it which is great but the guy was a double digit sack guy in college for multiple years and was talked about as the next great pass rusher.  Now he's relegated to a 4-3 SAM LB?

If we want to make a splash and sign 2 pass rushers so we can use the 1st rounder on a OT like Jonah then why can't Barr put his hand in the dirt and be the pass rusher he's supposed to be?

Barr and Flowers would be awesome 

Nickel Defense

DL - Barr (Leo), WIlliams (3-Tech), Shep/Anderson/Pennel (1-Tech), Flowers (5-Tech)

LB - Adams (SS/WILL), Williamson (MIKE), Lee (SAM)

3 CB's and FS

Barr’s a Sam right now

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Barr’s a Sam right now

Why what happened to him that he can't rush the passer?  Guy has everything you want in a pas rusher (size, length, bend, speed).

I just feel like if put back in the pass rushing role he would excel.  The "Leo" in a 4-3 rushes from a 2 point stance most of the time anyway.

Edited by Rockice_8

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why what happened to him that he can't rush the passer?  Guy has everything you want in a pas rusher (size, length, bend, speed).

I just feel like if put back in the pass rushing role he would excel.  The "Leo" in a 4-3 rushes from a 2 point stance most of the time anyway.

I’m always in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality. He’s been great as a Sam. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I’m always in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality. He’s been great as a Sam. 

Fair enough.  I just think more speed is the way defenses should be and will be trending.

I wouldn't sign Barr to play SAM then with Williamson and Lee already on the roster.  The base defense is on the field what like 30-40% of the time only and one of them likely won't be on the field for large amount of snaps in that case.

If I'm building a defense in today's NFL it's going to be built around pressure with my front 4, two fast LB'ers, a moneybacker (we currently have the best one in the NFL), a guy to play centerfield, and good press CB's. 

We def need two new DE's to get pressure with the front 4.  I think we are solid at LB therefore don't see a SAM as a high priority and we need a slot CB to replace Skrine and one press CB on the outside (unless Jones steps up to be the guy). 

Defensive Need List for me
DE
DE
slot CB

SAM just really isn't a major need where we need to allocate $16-$20M on a guy like Barr.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fair enough.  I just think more speed is the way defenses should be and will be trending.

I wouldn't sign Barr to play SAM then with Williamson and Lee already on the roster.  The base defense is on the field what like 30-40% of the time only and one of them likely won't be on the field for large amount of snaps in that case.

If I'm building a defense in today's NFL it's going to be built around pressure with my front 4, two fast LB'ers, a moneybacker (we currently have the best one in the NFL), a guy to play centerfield, and good press CB's. 

We def need two new DE's to get pressure with the front 4.  I think we are solid at LB therefore don't see a SAM as a high priority and we need a slot CB to replace Skrine and one press CB on the outside (unless Jones steps up to be the guy). 

DE
DE
slot CB

SAM just really isn't a major need where we need to allocate $16-$20M on a guy like Barr.

The thing though is that Avery would come out in sub packages. Granted, you can prob utilize a guy like Luvu. Buccanon could make sense as an FA as well. 

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

He's a better fit for the 34 OLB position. In the 43, I would want to see him at the end or rotate. As he slows down with age, it's going to be tough for someone at his size to stay at the 4-3 OLB position. We follow each other on twitter and I made a highlight tape for him when he was in college. He's a challenge for OT's in open space.

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

DE
DE
slot CB

Bryce Callahan could be a good option at slot corner. I don’t think we have a good slot corner on the team either. Roberts and Nickerson are better on the outside. 

I agree about the Sam position. It’s gone by way of other positions like FB. Teams just don’t use them as much because of slot receivers.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

What do we think it will take to get AJ Green? I have a feeling AB is going to SF.

Why give up draft capital for an aging player when we are clearly in rebuild mode? We can’t repeat these mistakes. I’d rather stay the course and draft a guy. I also don’t think we’d be in the market for either. Jets need more picks.

• Like 2