2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

47 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Another thought, Gase is familiar with a free agent that a lot of you guys are mocking to us, Matt Paradis. They were on the Broncos together in 2014. I think the likelihood of us signing him is pretty high.

Beachum-Long-Paradis-Winters-Shell isn't bad. We have to start thinking about our LT of the future and gotta monitor Shell this offseason.

I’d love for us to sign Paradis but I think LG needs upgraded in FA as well

• Like 1

The Pats have $22 million in cap space next year. I'm sure they can move things around but Trey Flowers is a real possibility. They have 3 big time free agents this year with little cap space. Jason McCourty is a free agent and Gostkowski. The Dolphins don't have much cap space either. So, I don't think he would follow his DC to Miami. He'll likely cost something like 5 years at $15M per year. He would be my number 1 target at edge if we close on Gregg Williams. 

The Buccs are another team that is cash strapped with just $17M in cap space. They don't have any meaningful free agents leaving except Humphries. So, they will likely focus on him and that's it. Based on Sportac, his market value is is 4 years at $10.5M per year. But he could be a realistic option if the Buccs decide not to pony up. 

Edited by SDotNova

4 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Another thought, Gase is familiar with a free agent that a lot of you guys are mocking to us, Matt Paradis. They were on the Broncos together in 2014. I think the likelihood of us signing him is pretty high.

Beachum-Long-Paradis-Winters-Shell isn't bad. We have to start thinking about our LT of the future and gotta monitor Shell this offseason.

This is probably what will happen with the draft acting as an avenue to upgrade at LG. I can easily see a scenario where we draft Jonah Williams (hopefully after moving down), play him at LG with the intention of moving him to LT in the future. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

This is probably what will happen with the draft acting as an avenue to upgrade at LG. I can easily see a scenario where we draft Jonah Williams (hopefully after moving down), play him at LG with the intention of moving him to LT in the future. 

Im sorry but not with our first pick. You draft the elite LGs in the first, Jonah is not elite IMO.

33 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Im sorry but not with our first pick. You draft the elite LGs in the first, Jonah is not elite IMO.

I’m for waiting to see how he does at the combine but I’m pretty sure he’s getting drafted in the top 10 picks unless he’s totally outplayed by one or two other OL. 

9 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I’m for waiting to see how he does at the combine but I’m pretty sure he’s getting drafted in the top 10 picks unless he’s totally outplayed by one or two other OL. 

I don't know that the combine will be his best friend - I kind of expect he'll test somewhere in between Jake Matthews and Taylor Decker in that setting. 

I do think Williams will be an adequate starting tackle in the NFL, but you should be aiming for much higher when drafting #3 overall. Ideally, you trade down and land him between picks 6-10. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

That's why I added that the intention would be to move him to LT in the future. 

For the record I agree with you, I prefer the Jets to draft an elite talent regardless of position, but if they address the draft as they did the coaching search, they'll be selecting the player they feel can help Sam Darnold the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

That's why I added that the intention would be to move him to LT in the future. 

For the record I agree with you, I prefer the Jets to draft an elite talent regardless of position, but if they address the draft as they did the coaching search, they'll be selecting the player they feel can help Sam Darnold the most.

Welcome to the Jets N’Keal Harry then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SDotNova said:

The Buccs are another team that is cash strapped with just $17M in cap space. They don't have any meaningful free agents leaving except Humphries. So, they will likely focus on him and that's it. Based on Sportac, his market value is is 4 years at $10.5M per year. But he could be a realistic option if the Buccs decide not to pony up. 

I suppose that's why there's Mike Evans trade rumors.

56 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I personally wouldn't even mind a reach for the right player this year. 

What I will say is that I see big time skill in Harry, Metcalf and Butler. Harry reminding me of a Julio Jones type guy. Metcalf reminds me of Alshon Jeffrey and Butler AJ Green. And I think we’d take any one of those guys to groom with Darnold. Especially if OL is addressed in FA at C and G

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What I will say is that I see big time skill in Harry, Metcalf and Butler. Harry reminding me of a Julio Jones type guy. Metcalf reminds me of Alshon Jeffrey and Butler AJ Green. And I think we’d take any one of those guys to groom with Darnold. Especially if OL is addressed in FA at C and G

I would love this. Having Q and Anderson creates the perfect situation for a WR like Harry, Metcalf, or Butler to develop in. I would be happy with either if we're going WR in the first. 

11 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't know that the combine will be his best friend - I kind of expect he'll test somewhere in between Jake Matthews and Taylor Decker in that setting. 

I do think Williams will be an adequate starting tackle in the NFL, but you should be aiming for much higher when drafting #3 overall. Ideally, you trade down and land him between picks 6-10. 

I’m not concerned that much with the testing (Orlando Brown had a decent, not great, rookie year, as an example of someone that tested poorly) but more with the drills 

i do hope we trade down picking him at say 7 and greeting the 39th pick would be nice.

Edited by Rich51