2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

Sucks to know that there is finally a good list of options for 34 OLB and we could be switching to 43. Jenkins, Lee, Williamson, and one of the top OLB's from the draft/FA would be great next season. Add a run stuffing NT to that group and we'll have a great front 7 next year. Williamson proved himself, Lee gets better every year, and Jenkins can top his 7 sacks especially with a threat on the other side. 

22 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

I don't think the pats can pay both flowers and brown. I'd like to grab both, but at least one would be nice. 

I don't think Brown will be a target for us, as much as he should be. 

I do expect the Jets to be ultra-aggressive in their pursuit of Flowers. He's one of those rare 25 year old free agents that has produced and will be a terrific fit now that we're moving forward with Gregg Williams. That being said, Jets fans should keep expectations in check; Flowers isn't going to fit in every defense and has some athletic limitations. He's a strength and technique guy who excels at rushing from the interior. For those reasons, I don't expect the Pats to resign him - much like their other productive defenders, I think they'll deem him replaceable.

As I've stated a few times now, I expect the Jets to sign multiple pass rushers in this free agency. Even with Lawrence/Clowney/Ford likely getting tagged, the class is better than usual. Personally, I expect they'll go for a Flowers-Dante Fowler duo. He's long been a player Maccagnan has seen talent in, is 24 years old, and would slide right into RE with Flowers acting as a LE in the base and LDT in the nickel. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't think Brown will be a target for us, as much as he should be. 

I do expect the Jets to be ultra-aggressive in their pursuit of Flowers. He's one of those rare 25 year old free agents that has produced and will be a terrific fit now that we're moving forward with Gregg Williams. That being said, Jets fans should keep expectations in check; Flowers isn't going to fit in every defense and has some athletic limitations. He's a strength and technique guy who excels at rushing from the interior. For those reasons, I don't expect the Pats to resign him - much like their other productive defenders, I think they'll deem him replaceable.

As I've stated a few times now, I expect the Jets to sign multiple pass rushers in this free agency. Even with Lawrence/Clowney/Ford likely getting tagged, the class is better than usual. Personally, I expect they'll go for a Flowers-Dante Fowler duo. He's long been a player Maccagnan has seen talent in, is 24 years old, and would slide right into RE with Flowers acting as a LE in the base and LDT in the nickel. 

If they go that route (which I'm ok with) what do we do at 3 if we cant trade back?

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I definitely can see Patriots retain Trey Flowers.  Patriots had no problem to bring Dont'a Hightower, another misfit, back.  Flowers is a quiet man who doesn't seek any special attention. Patriots and Flowers are perfectly complementary.

Possibly, but they will be tight against the cap if they resign him. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

If they go that route (which I'm ok with) what do we do at 3 if we cant trade back?

IMO you still take the BPA at Edge Rusher. You can never have enough guys pressuring the QB. Pro Football Focus did a study where they watched 10 years worth of QB snaps and determined that just applying pressure to the QB drops their rating by 32 points. That's the difference in going from Big Ben at QB to Blaine Gabbert.

9 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

IMO you still take the BPA at Edge Rusher. You can never have enough guys pressuring the QB. Pro Football Focus did a study where they watched 10 years worth of QB snaps and determined that just applying pressure to the QB drops their rating by 32 points. That's the difference in going from Big Ben at QB to Blaine Gabbert.

Welcome back, you have been gone a while. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Possibly, but they will be tight against the cap if they resign him. 

We the fans think he will get big contract but Patriots could have a good bargain.  22m cap space and Flowers is only FA that makes sense for Patriots to re-sign.

Rob Gronkowski hints that he will be retiring after this season so that will save Patriots over 9m. Easy coverage for Flowers' first year salary.

Patriots can use draft pick to acquire a veteran with low base salary like they have known for doing that way.

Fowler sucks, he is a rotational pass rusher at best.  He was overhyped after his semi productive backup role and people expect him to be a 10 sack guy which he likely isn't

Flowers is a versatile hustle guy not a pure pass rusher either.  He's very solid and plays both run and pass very well.  He'd make a very good SDE for our new 43 if we actually hire Williams.