2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

30 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Again Mac wanted Siemian well before Gase was even a fired from MIA.  I'm not really sure Gase cares about Siemian when he knows he has Sam as his starter and that was clearly all Mac bringing him in.  Having Gase say ok to that move does not switch credit to Gase.

You can let your hate for Mac cloud logic and give Gase credit all you want but facts are facts Mac got us Sam and was clearly the driving force behind getting 3 of the 4 QB's in the QB room.  

One of the most annoying things going right now on this board is bashing the GM for getting lucky with picks like that is even a real thing.  He traded to #3 because he knew Sam or Baker was going to be there.  Giving him no credit when BUF was pissed INDY traded with us is about as dumb as it gets.  Mac gets all the credit for securing that pick because if not Sam could easily be in BUF right now and we could have a running back "Josh Allen" as our QB.  There are a million things to criticize Mac for but having good players fall to him or bashing him because another GM is dumb makes no sense at all.

I don’t hate Macc he just sucks 

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

It is sad but it is true he does suck. I just don't understand his drafting philosophy. 

Its very easy to understand... take the best DLineman available, bc they're often BPA. I mean we can line up with like 7 of them guys.

Q is so athletic he can be a press corner and I don’t see why Leo can’t be a FS in sets. And Anderson blazing speed off the edge. Come on. We’re good 😉 

• Like 3

Say what you want about him but we are quietly building one of the better rosters around the league and have one of the brightest young QB's to build around.

We could be further along if he was better but I mean with one more offseason and some additions to the OL and CB we should be ready to compete.

They say misery loves company but you guys are insufferable at times.  It's so depressing here and it's only May.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Say what you want about him but we are quietly building one of the better rosters around the league and have one of the brightest young QB's to build around.

We could be further along if he was better but I mean with one more offseason and some additions to the OL and CB we should be ready to compete.

They say misery loves company but you guys are insufferable at times.  It's so depressing here and it's only May.

You are correct.  I can't believe on how negative some are and we have not a training camp session.

Macc does not suck.  He is not the best GM in the league but he is not the worst either.  He seems to be getting better as he gains more experience as well.    He arguably has had the best two off seasons of any team the past two years. 

On 07/05/2019 at 11:50 PM, JetsFan15 said:

You are correct.  I can't believe on how negative some are and we have not a training camp session.

Macc does not suck.  He is not the best GM in the league but he is not the worst either.  He seems to be getting better as he gains more experience as well.    He arguably has had the best two off seasons of any team the past two years. 

Again though you have to look at both sides to the coin. This is not a case of one side being a big time homer fan and the other a pessimistic Debbie Downer.

There is a middle ground to this discussion.

I really like some of the moves Mac has made over his time here. He’s finally delivered us a franchise qb (regardless if Sam fell in his lap or not) and he’s built a strong nucleus of defensive talent that includes some real young studs. We’ve also finally got weapons that teams have to plan to defend unlike many years over the last decade. 

However I can also understand the view about Mac (and the organisation in general) in that we’ve heard the same thing year in and year out since basically 2011 and yet we’ve never reached the playoffs and only posted 1 winning season. 

Weve also seen a barren run of results over the last three years which quite frankly has not been good enough.

Only time will tell but I see us having a real bounce back year this year. I don’t know about playoffs etc but I can see us at least hitting .500 and hopefully those close games (which we seem to always lose) can be turned into wins. 

Without sounding like a prick; Iv played sport at a professional level and I can’t stress enough how much a coach/manager has on the mindset of players. Having Gase and Williams (who are both the Alpha personality) who to quote Herm “Play to win the game” will set the tone for us. Having a mild mannered coach can make the weaker minded players complacent and lazy. 

Iv played for both types of coaches and believe me I know which type could get that extra 10% out of me. I was threatened (not literally I hope!) that my coach would shoot me with his shotgun at half time in a crucial game...,needless to say I performed better in the second half! 

On 5/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, Rockice_8 said:

It shouldn’t take a competent GM 6 years to build a football team. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:50 PM, JetsFan15 said:

I cant get behind this. We as fans have every right to be frustrated. This organization has been laughable for an extremely long time. We as a fan base have every right to demand more and criticize moves made bc when we are pumping out 4 and 5 win seasons repeatedly… things should change. And until we see what's been done translate to wins... We have every reason to criticize the man orchestrating this roster for 5 years. We all want the same thing in the end. We all just have different philosophies on how to get their. And that will happen on every issue with this team. People have different ways they like building a team and will get in discussions about it. But to criticize us fans for being frustrated with a GM that has given us the roster and seasons we have is 100% wrong. What's wrong is for us to be OK with our GM giving us 5 win seasons year after year and think he has a plan. No we should be demanding more.

To go further on I like some of the moves Macc made. Adding Bell, Osemele and Crowder hopefully is incredible for us. He did fall short at C and outside WR though. So we have every right to point that out.

On defense he added talent in Mosely and Q. But we still lack and edge and CB has some question marks.

Obviously you cant 100% fix an awful roster in 1 off season. But to leave holes is an issue. A lot of what Macc does doesn't make sense. I still cant get behind drafting BPA on his board every pick. Need does have to be factored in. And regardless of what people say... whatever he's doing isn't working, so maybe a different philosophy needs to be used. Resources are wasted. We spent a good amount of money on Anderson and then draft Q. One of these 2 are either on the bench or out of position in most sets. That's a waste of resources either money wise on Anderson or a hugely valuable pick in Q. You choose which 1... but no matter what something was wasted. These things happen every year for us. Signing McCown for 12mill last year. Giving Fitz a huge contract, etc. He's just not smart at building a roster IMO. You can disagree... but our record shows my side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I cant get behind this. We as fans have every right to be frustrated. This organization has been laughable for an extremely long time. We as a fan base have every right to demand more and criticize moves made bc when we are pumping out 4 and 5 win seasons repeatedly… things should change. And until we see what's been done translate to wins... We have every reason to criticize the man orchestrating this roster for 5 years. We all want the same thing in the end. We all just have different philosophies on how to get their. And that will happen on every issue with this team. People have different ways they like building a team and will get in discussions about it. But to criticize us fans for being frustrated with a GM that has given us the roster and seasons we have is 100% wrong. What's wrong is for us to be OK with our GM giving us 5 win seasons year after year and think he has a plan. No we should be demanding more.

To go further on I like some of the moves Macc made. Adding Bell, Osemele and Crowder hopefully is incredible for us. He did fall short at C and outside WR though. So we have every right to point that out.

On defense he added talent in Mosely and Q. But we still lack and edge and CB has some question marks.

Obviously you cant 100% fix an awful roster in 1 off season. But to leave holes is an issue. A lot of what Macc does doesn't make sense. I still cant get behind drafting BPA on his board every pick. Need does have to be factored in. And regardless of what people say... whatever he's doing isn't working, so maybe a different philosophy needs to be used. Resources are wasted. We spent a good amount of money on Anderson and then draft Q. One of these 2 are either on the bench or out of position in most sets. That's a waste of resources either money wise on Anderson or a hugely valuable pick in Q. You choose which 1... but no matter what something was wasted. These things happen every year for us. Signing McCown for 12mill last year. Giving Fitz a huge contract, etc. He's just not smart at building a roster IMO. You can disagree... but our record shows my side.

Still disagree on outside WR and edge. Agree 100% otherwise. 

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Still disagree on outside WR and edge. Agree 100% otherwise. 

I hope Polite is the answer. I'd LOVE that to happen. Outside WR though I see no solution to on our roster. Actually Cimini had a write up yesterday about outside WR for us that I think some should read.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I hope Polite is the answer. I'd LOVE that to happen. Outside WR though I see no solution to on our roster. Actually Cimini had a write up yesterday about outside WR for us that I think some should read.

I don’t read too much into Cimini. He literally never has anything positive to say about the Jets. The whole “outside WR” concept is a very outdated one. Most slot receivers split their time between the slot and the outside and most outside receivers end up in the slot a decent amount of time as well. 

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

I don’t read too much into Cimini. He literally never has anything positive to say about the Jets. The whole “outside WR” concept is a very outdated one. Most slot receivers split their time between the slot and the outside and most outside receivers end up in the slot a decent amount of time as well. 

As I've said on the surface we are ok. But that's putting a lot of faith in Q's health and even Crowder for that matter.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

It shouldn’t take a competent GM 6 years to build a football team. 

Fair point but the true rebuild started about 3 years ago so really it's in year 4 after tearing down an already bleak roster he has us where we are today.  Could be better sure but not terrible either.  We'll never know how much ownership forced his hand those first 2 years.

We have the best QB outlook since maybe a pre injury Pennington or a healthy Farve which seems like forever ago.  We have the best weapons since the Sanchez rookie days, and our defense is loaded with talent.  Could he have had us here sooner, maybe but he seems to have turned a corner as a GM with a few good and another potentially good offseason so maybe just maybe he is hitting his stride.

Gm's have good years and bad years even the best ones.  Mac just didn't have any good years to point to after his rough start.  If this class pans out I really think he might be able to especially if the Williams boys step up and Sam has a great season.   Eventually the excuses of rookie QB, poor roster you inherited, and poor coaching, etc will fall on the GM and this may be the first year Mac has no alibi.  If we under achieve he's done.  This team needs to show massive growth that we are on the right path and that means 9+ wins most likely and either a playoff berth or just miss playoff berth type season.