2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

As I've said on the surface we are ok. But that's putting a lot of faith in Q's health and even Crowder for that matter.

Crowder is not injury prone not sure why you continue to push that narrative.  Guy had one season where he was injured which would make like 90% of the league injury prone.

Q is the only real question mark with the offensive weapons.

Yea. I’m not down on this roster either. Of course I would have done things differently. 

We’re one more good offseason and Darnold’s development away from being serious contenders. We also have a really young roster. No guys currently over 30 on offense. McLendon is the only guy over 30 on the entire team. 

I agree about the big WR though. Unless our TEs step, our options are limited in the red zone. We don’t have that guy that can run a fade route and go up and get it. Aside from that, CB, Edge, and C are the only weak spots. But one offseason can fix those as long as Macc attacks those areas. 

Edited by SDotNova

33 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Crowder is not injury prone not sure why you continue to push that narrative.  Guy had one season where he was injured which would make like 90% of the league injury prone.

Q is the only real question mark with the offensive weapons.

He missed 8 games I believe last year bc of injury and spent almost his whole career battling some hamstring issues. Normally plays with the injury but for sure not 100%. Q being relied on is my main issue. Not Crowder and I’ve said that tons of times. It for me is not if Q will get injured but a when.

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He missed 8 games I believe last year bc of injury and spent almost his whole career battling some hamstring issues. Normally plays with the injury but for sure not 100%. Q being relied on is my main issue. Not Crowder and I’ve said that tons of times. It for me is not if Q will get injured but a when.

Guys play hurt all the time.  What guy is ever 100% after a few weeks of football.  Again just another completely unnecessary/unavoidable concern that is not unique to the Jets but every team in the league.  

Q may miss a few games but we have enough to overcome that with added talent at TE and RB.

Lets relax on the sky is falling because we don't have a veteran #4 WR.  I'm sure if Burnett isn't playing well in camp we'll scoop up a vet camp cut or grab a guy like Inman or Crabtree if we need to but let give the kid a shot.  He looked good enough to belong last year and is only 21.  Why stunt his development with a vet unless he really sucks and we are desperate.  For now lets see if the kid can be a young developing WR.  We all ask for young talent and we finally have one and the first thing half of you complain about it signing a vet to stunt his growth.  Some people need to get back on their meds it's freakin bipolar in here. 

For what it's worth, I posted in the Bears forum to ask about Bellamys ability on special teams, and everyone had good things to say. Specifically about his looker room presence, and being a "spark plug" on game day, which I've always valued as a under appreciated characteristic. What surprised me though was how highly they viewed him as an "adequate" 3/4 WR. If we can avoid injuries, which I understand is a big "if", I would be more than comfortable with him or Burnett as our 4th WR.   

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fair point but the true rebuild started about 3 years ago so really it's in year 4 after tearing down an already bleak roster he has us where we are today.  Could be better sure but not terrible either.  We'll never know how much ownership forced his hand those first 2 years.

We have the best QB outlook since maybe a pre injury Pennington or a healthy Farve which seems like forever ago.  We have the best weapons since the Sanchez rookie days, and our defense is loaded with talent.  Could he have had us here sooner, maybe but he seems to have turned a corner as a GM with a few good and another potentially good offseason so maybe just maybe he is hitting his stride.

Gm's have good years and bad years even the best ones.  Mac just didn't have any good years to point to after his rough start.  If this class pans out I really think he might be able to especially if the Williams boys step up and Sam has a great season.   Eventually the excuses of rookie QB, poor roster you inherited, and poor coaching, etc will fall on the GM and this may be the first year Mac has no alibi.  If we under achieve he's done.  This team needs to show massive growth that we are on the right path and that means 9+ wins most likely and either a playoff berth or just miss playoff berth type season.

But he built that bleak roster. He tried to build a contender day 1 which was a huge mistake. The fact is that his teams have been consistently terrible over the past three years. While you can 100% point to Bowles, the lack of talent over the past few years is insane. You can contribute it to mediocre FA signings and well below-average draft classes. 

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

But he built that bleak roster. He tried to build a contender day 1 which was a huge mistake. The fact is that his teams have been consistently terrible over the past three years. While you can 100% point to Bowles, the lack of talent over the past few years is insane. You can contribute it to mediocre FA signings and well below-average draft classes. 

Did he try to build a contender year 1 or was that Woody pushing his own agenda? Also, if I remember correctly Mac was forced to inherit Bowles, who was flat out terrible. I don't want to continuously make excuses for Mac, whose drafting has been awful to this point. I have said countless times I wish we would have fired him last offseason, but we have no have no choice but to give him one last chance. If we don't drastically improve this year, we can all celebrate his departure. 

Just now, NJC33 said:

Did he try to build a contender year 1 or was that Woody pushing his own agenda? Also, if I remember correctly Mac was forced to inherit Bowles, who was flat out terrible. I don't want to continuously make excuses for Mac, whose drafting has been awful to this point. I have said countless times I wish we would have fired him last offseason, but we have no have no choice but to give him one last chance. If we don't drastically improve this year, we can all celebrate his departure. 

Maccagnan and Bowles were hired at the same time. Also, HC and GM have been answering separately to the ownership. Bowles could be the reason why Jets can't win right. Maccagnan could be the reason why Jets lacked legit talents.  Could be both.    Most important is that many of Maccagnan's draftees are out of football practice right now. Hence he blows.     Last two drafts/FAs looked good on the paper so Maccagnan has a chance to continue gming Jets. Whether or not we like it.

49 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

No the roster he inherited was easily the worst in the NFL in his first season.  We basically were set up to clear cap that first year by Idzik which Mac did which left us with nothing to build around.  Trying to build a winner from nothing was a huge mistake (again not sure how much ownership pushed for that being we were already in a bit of a playoff drought).  

He actually had some success year 1 with nearly pulling it together with vets but that was a fluke and not sustainable due to age of the players.  After that second year when Fitz bombed he tore it down again and started over with the young QB approach which was the right way.  We would have been 2 years ahead of where we are now if he just did that year 1 which would put this true rebuild at year 4 even though he is in year 6.  He still get blame for his full tenure which is why he's on thin ice going into year 6.  If we are not a 9 win team with a shot at the playoffs this year then you can truly say it's been 4 years of roster building which mean if it's a huge failure then he's done.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

I know Mac was hired first, but don't remember.  Either way, he went out, spent big, and it failed.

29 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

No the roster he inherited was easily the worst in the NFL in his first season.  We basically were set up to clear cap that first year by Idzik which Mac did which left us with nothing to build around.  Trying to build a winner from nothing was a huge mistake (again not sure how much ownership pushed for that being we were already in a bit of a playoff drought).  

He actually had some success year 1 with nearly pulling it together with vets but that was a fluke and not sustainable due to age of the players.  After that second year when Fitz bombed he tore it down again and started over with the young QB approach which was the right way.  We would have been 2 years ahead of where we are now if he just did that year 1 which would put this true rebuild at year 4 even though he is in year 6.  He still get blame for his full tenure which is why he's on thin ice going into year 6.  If we are not a 9 win team with a shot at the playoffs this year then you can truly say it's been 4 years of roster building which mean if it's a huge failure then he's done.

Right, that's my point on trying to build a contender year one bud.  Having top 6 picks, three years in a row in not a good look.  His FA signings have truly been boom or bust and his inconsistencies in the draft led us to this point.

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Right, that's my point on trying to build a contender year one bud.  Having top 6 picks, three years in a row in not a good look.  His FA signings have truly been boom or bust and his inconsistencies in the draft led us to this point.

Right but how much was him and how much was ownership was my point.  My response was more about you saying "he built that bleak roster."  No he inherited a terrible roster.  He built a facade on top of that likely by ownership direction which was a huge mistake, that we 100% agree on.

It looks like once the Fitz years ended CJ stepped in and let Mac be Mac for sure.  From that point on he was able to be himself.  Yeah having top 6 picks 3 years running is bad and now is the time to put up or shut up.  Let's see what Mac has built because this is the year where he's pretty much run out of excuses.

Edited by Rockice_8

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Right but how much was him and how much was ownership was my point.  My response was more about you saying "he built that bleak roster."  No he inherited a terrible roster.  He built a facade on top of that likely by ownership direction which was a huge mistake, that we 100% agree on.

It looks like once the Fitz years ended CJ stepped in and let Mac be Mac for sure.  From that point on he was able to be himself.  Yeah having top 6 picks 3 years running is bad and now is the time to put up or shut up.  Let's see what Mac has built because this is the year where he's pretty much run out of excuses.

But how can you defend his draft picks or his signings up to this year man?  What GOOD FA signings has he made since he's been here?  You can count them on one hand.  How about failing to upgrade our o-line?  How about failing to address edge rusher up until Polite?  How about failing to draft a competent WR?  How about lucking out on numerous top draft picks?  There's no more excuses.  IMO this is his best off-season so far, but he shouldn't have been here to make those decisions.  He should've been given the boot with Bowles.

33 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I know Mac was hired first, but don't remember.  Either way, he went out, spent big, and it failed.

My gut tells me that both the Revis and Cromartie signing were directly from Woody. His other moves that offseason (Carpenter, Skrine, Marshal) all proved to be worth the cost. It obviously wasn't a formula for building a sustained winner, but again, I think Woody cared more about filling seats. 

30 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Sound about right.   Maccagnan overspent on DB to bolster Jets' weakest position when Rex Ryan was fired.   CJ's tenure may save Maccagnan.  Let's see if it is actually happening.