2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

7 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

When you call an average GM "the worst" or "terrible" as you have then you force guys to defend him since your statement is so outlandish.

What are you defending? What has he done that even makes him an average GM by NFL standards. 

On a scale of Howie Roseman to John Idzik who’s he closer to?

He’s terrible at his job. 

Sure he’s hit in the top 6 and can overlay players everyone knows are already good. But what else has he done to warrant you guys celebrating him?

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

What are you defending? What has he done that even makes him an average GM by NFL standards. 

Sure he’s hit in the top 6 and can overlay players everyone knows are already good. But what else has he done to warrant you guys celebrating him?

I motion that we should postpone our spitballing at Mike Maccagnan's GM skill until November. Anyone seconds?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I motion that we should postpone our spitballing at Mike Maccagnan's GM skill until November. Anyone seconds?

I second that motion. lol. Let's see how these guys play this year. 

Edited by SDotNova

14 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

He is not terrible at his job.  He is closer to Roseman than Idzik to answer your question.  He really has not missed on a 1st round pick.  He had grabbed talent via FA.  He makes sure contracts are structured well to help manage that cap.  There is nothing that should make you say he is terrible.  Can you say you don't like certain picks.  Sure.  Can you say he needs to be hit more in mid to late rounds.  Sure.  He, like all GMs, does not hit every pick or FA move but he is well within percentages to be successful.  Just like a young coach or player, this is his first time being a GM.  I see him getting better and better each year. 

But saying he is terrible at this job, frankly, makes you sound like you no nothing about what his job is or football at all. 

1 hour ago, JetsFan15 said:

He is not terrible at his job.  He is closer to Roseman than Idzik to answer your question.  He really has not missed on a 1st round pick.  He had grabbed talent via FA.  He makes sure contracts are structured well to help manage that cap.  There is nothing that should make you say he is terrible.  Can you say you don't like certain picks.  Sure.  Can you say he needs to be hit more in mid to late rounds.  Sure.  He, like all GMs, does not hit every pick or FA move but he is well within percentages to be successful.  Just like a young coach or player, this is his first time being a GM.  I see him getting better and better each year. 

But saying he is terrible at this job, frankly, makes you sound like you no nothing about what his job is or football at all. 

Absolutely not.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Absolutely not.

Sure he is because Idzik was actually terrible.  Quincy was the only thing of value he did for our team and while I love Quincy he is good not close to great player.  He left the cupboard so bare that even with cap space there was no chance for sustained success.  Two zero drafts.  He set the organization back 5 years.

So yes - Macc is not even close to Idzik not many GMs are as he was that bad.  So therefore by default and logic he is closer to Roseman.  Note I did not put him in the same class as Roseman- just simply he is closer to Roseman than Idzik as the latter was all-time and epically bad.

Edited by JetsFan15

26 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Sure he is because Idzik was actually terrible.  Quincy was the only thing of value he did for our team and while I love Quincy he is good not close to great player.  He left the cupboard so bare that even with cap space there was no chance for sustained success.  Two zero drafts.  He set the organization back 5 years.

So yes - Macc is not even close to Idzik not many GMs are as he was that bad.  So therefore by default and logic he is closer to Roseman.  Note I did not put him in the same class as Roseman- just simply he is closer to Roseman than Idzik as the latter was all-time and epically bad.

Idzik was here for two years and had 19 draft picks.  In his 19 draft picks, he produced two long-term starters (guys who signed past their rookie deals) for us in Winters and Enunwa.  Sheldon could've/should've been one as well.  In Mac's first 19 picks, he produced three long-term starters in Leo, Adams, and Maye.  He also got Jenkins and Shell.  They may get extensions after this year, they may not.  In Idzik's first two FA's, his most impactful player long-term was Decker.  Mac's was either Carp or Skrine.  Mac was better in his first two years, but BARELY.  And no, he's not closer to Roseman.  Go find one analyst who think Mac is a top 20 GM.  You won't find one.

Edited by barnaby8787

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Idzik was here for two years and had 19 draft picks.  In his 19 draft picks, he produced two long-term starters (guys who signed past their rookie deals) for us in Winters and Enunwa.  Sheldon could've/should've been one as well.  In Mac's first 19 picks, he produced three long-term starters in Leo, Adams, and Maye.  He also got Jenkins and Shell.  They may get extensions after this year, they may not.  In Idzik's first two FA's, his most impactful player long-term was Decker.  Mac's was either Carp or Skrine.  Mac was better in hi sfirst two years, but BARELY.  And no, he's not closer to Roseman.  Go find one analyst who think Mac is a top 20 GM.  You won't find one.

LMAO

37 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Also, he set this org back five years, yet we almost made the playoffs the year after he left thanks to a ton of cap space gifted to Mac that Idzik was not gifted his first year.  We haven't been competitive since and that's not on Idzik.  Mac shot for the moon in his first FA.  I don't blame him for doing it, but it didn't work obviously and when you fail that badly in FA, your roster quickly gets depleted.

Edited by barnaby8787

25 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

What are you laughing at man?  Multiple websites do GM power rankings every year.  None have him in the top 20.  NFL.com has him at 23, NJ.com has him at 27, etc.  Roseman is at 2 in both.  

Laughing that you think taking 2 years of one guy and having to go 3 on another to compare drafts is a valid argument.  Laughing that you said top 20 GM and not me.  Laughing that you refuse to acknowledge the positives Macc has done but site "good" moves by Idzik.  Laughing that I did not say he was a top 5, 10, 20 or whatever GM but you seem to think I did.  Laughing that you are defending Idzik (really hard) .. a guy who was out after year 2 for a reason.  Laughing that you fail to mention he missed and missed badly on 2 of his 3 first round picks and the good one was caught driving over 100 mph, with a gun and child in his car.  Laughing that you think Idzik had anything to do with the 10-6 season .. that was purely on moves Macc made and Fitz being able to master Gailey's offense.  Laughing that you thinking I was putting Macc into Roseman's class when I simply answered a question that Macc is closer to a good GM than one of the worst GMs in NFL history. Probably a few more things I am laughing at but hard to type through the laughs .... ;-)

Edited by JetsFan15