2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

The thing with Macc is what he’s getting credited for for doing good recently isn’t even worthy yet. Is Darnold a franchise QB? Are Leo and Q great? These are things that haven’t been proven yet. The only thing I think we can say with confidence about Macc is that Adams was a great pick. Which can still be argued that Mahomes should have been the pick over Adams.

Maccagnan used our money and brought in 2 all pros that are still prime years. Ilb might not be worth that money, but Mosely was too good to pass up when we had all that money.  He also brings that leadership.  

He landed the biggest fa prize since curtis martin. I think osemele is gonna be a great trade, i think he goes back to being a stud. Im optimistic 

Maccagnan is average,  not terrible. 

Edited by NYJets4716
  • Like 1

Gonna be a lengthy write up but here's a break down and my thoughts on each Macc pick since he's been here...

1. Leo Williams: good player, but is he really 6th pick in the draft good? In 4 seasons he has 17 sacks, so that's averaging 4.25 sacks a year.

2. Devin Smith: I actually liked this pick at the time, but injuries tore his career up and he's no longer with the team.

3. Lozo: No longer with the team.

4. Petty: no longer with the team.

5. Harrison: no longer with the team.

7. Simon: no longer with the team.

1. Darron Lee: a risk pick and hasn't lived up to his draft spot in Round 1. In essence is done as a Jet with 2 good LBs ahead of him. We've already declined his 5th year option.

2. Hack: arguably his worst pick. No longer with the team.

3. Jenkins: one of the few picks I also liked. But we knew he was an edge setter, not a sack guy really. So didn't answer what we needed at edge.

4. Burris: no longer with the team.

5. Shell: I liked this pick too. But he still has to prove himself to even start really. And he will have Edoga breathing down his neck this year.

7. Edwards: if we have came to praising punter picks, that tells you everything you need to know about Macc's drafting.

7. Peake: I liked this pick at the time. But he hasn't amounted to anything at WR. Has been a decent special teams player.

1. Adams: really the only pick I can look at and say he got a difference maker at in his whole time here. And the argument can be made we should have drafted Mahomes or traded back and taken Mahomes. But I do like Adams A LOT!!! I give Macc credit here.

2. Marcus Maye: this pick I'm torn on. There were guys starring him in the face on offense that we could have drafted and he decided to go Maye. When healthy he's been good. But like I said... when healthy. I hope he can stay healthy and we have a good safety duo. But it cant be ignored the god players that were on the board on offense for us here.

3. Stewart: no longer on the team.

4. Hanson: no longer on the team.

5. Leggett: Liked this pick at the time, but now will find himself battling for snaps with Herndon and Wesco on the roster.

5. Donahue: no longer on the team.

6. McGuire: nothing special about this kid. And one of my biggest knocls on Maacc is how he avoids offense big time early in drafts. You keep spending 4th rounders and later on guys you get that production. You can draft a McGuire as an UDFA almost every year.

6. Clark: I'd surprised if he makes the team.

6. Jones: a pick with still some potential. This one we cant judge quite yet.

1. Sam Darnold: this was a must for Macc to get a QB this year. He gave up a lot and it worked out. He got lucky that Darnold fell to us, but none the less he made the move to put us in that spot. Time will tell if Darnold is our franchise QB. 1 season isn't enough to judge.

3. Shepard: didn't like this pick and now this pick looks even worse. Guy is now far down on the depth chart and in essence was a wasted pick after having Leo here and trading and resigning Anderson and then drafting Williams.

4. Herndon: this has the potential to be one of Macc's best picks. Like Darnold the sample size is still too small to say he's great. I hope he becomes a great TE for us.

6. Nickerson: I liked this pick. I was high on Nickerson last draft and was happy we took him. I think he can be a good CB in this league.

6. Fatukasi: another wasted pick pretty much. Ill be surprised if he makes the team.

7. Cannon: see my write up on McGuire. I'll be surprised if he makes the team.

1. Q Williams: Like Leo this guy has to sack the QB to be worthy of avoiding need and choosing him at 3rd overall. If he has Leo production, this pick was a fail IMO. I hope he can be a 10 sack guy. Great personality and skill set. I'll never argue that. But he needs to produce, not eat up space.

3. Jachai Polite: I like this pick bc of the potential and at a position of need. Time will tell if he can be that edge rusher for us. With our interior the edge rushers should never be getting doubled, so no excuses for him to not produce.

3. Edoga: Another pick I liked. Great pass blocker, but lacks in the run game. Needs to be coached up on that. But can hopefully start either this year or next somewhere on the line.

4. Wesco: great blocking TE, but I still see that as his only role. He has to prove to me he can catch the ball before I love him like others have already. I hope he is a decent receiving option and we have 2 good TEs.

5. Cashman: as for his skill set I like him. But he's buried on the depth chart. Can be a nice ST guy and maybe work his way into a decent cover LB for us with his speed.

6. Austin: I'd be surprised if he makes the team.

On 5/12/2019 at 12:44 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

Idzik drafted 2 current starters for us in his 1st two years and also executed the trade that helped eventually execute the Darnold Trade. 

Macc’s first two years yielded again 2 current starters and nothing else. 

One was fired cause he was trash and the other was given more time because you can’t first two GMs in two years and Macc continue to be trash. 

I mean I can’t really understand how a man can be so bad at his job. 

So what now you are crediting Idzik with landing Darnold?

37 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

You acting like late round picks should be starters. Look at most teams drafts

Its more the blatant issue of avoiding making our offense any better. Never ever grabbing a WR, OL or RB early in a draft. And quite frankly it shows by how bad our offense has been for forever.

On 5/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, NYJets4716 said:

QLeonard Williams averages 20+ qb hits per year, he's closer to great than bad. He isn't Aaron Donald but who is?

Actually if he can boast his sacks to like 6 or 7 he'd basically be an 2nd team all pro DL like Fletcher Cox. 

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Its more the blatant issue of avoiding making our offense any better. Never ever grabbing a WR, OL or RB early in a draft. And quite frankly it shows by how bad our offense has been for forever.

It funny though because basically every one of your WR/RB that you have pounded the table the past few years for have busted, just saying.  White (huge bust), Fournette (underwhelming and injury prone), Metcalf (yet to be determined but fell hard in the draft when you wanted him at #3).  If you were GM we could of had those guys and missed on Leo, Adams and Quinnen.  

We have the best offensive talent we've had since probably 2010. 

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

It funny though because basically every one of your WR/RB that you have pounded the table the past few years for have busted, just saying.  White (huge bust), Fournette (underwhelming and injury prone), Metcalf (yet to be determined but fell hard in the draft when you wanted him at #3).  If you were GM we could of had those guys and missed on Leo, Adams and Quinnen.  

We have the best offensive talent we've had since probably 2010. 

I like how you take just a few examples of mine and use them. And completely disregard the guys who have been great who I wanted. I was incredibly high on Kamara. Cooks, AR15, Davante Adams, David Johnson, Michael Thomas just to name a few. And it's very clear you half way read my posts. You are still saying I wanted Metcalf. Yet I've repeatedly have said I had him mocked to us bc I had every hole filled in FA except WR in that mock. So not sure why you point that out. I never once was saying we should take Metcalf post FA. Not once. Fact is Macc has not drafted a good player for us on offense. The guys who we can say are good are going into their 2nd year, so lets not anoint them great players (Darnold and Herndon). Yet we go with defense and still have a below average defense every year. All this while the rules cater to offenses.

33 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Actually if he can boast his sacks to like 6 or 7 he'd basically be an 2nd team all pro DL like Fletcher Cox. 

It’s one of those things that’s hard to explain. Leo is right up there with guys like Cox and Calais when looking at pressures and QB hits. The difference is those guys are converting those into  roughly 10 sacks a year. 

Leo has the same athletic profile as Campbell. I guess those 3 inches make a difference. Or Leo is due a big year. I’m betting on a big year.