2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I like how you take just a few examples of mine and use them. And completely disregard the guys who have been great who I wanted. I was incredibly high on Kamara. Cooks, AR15, Davante Adams, David Johnson, Michael Thomas just to name a few. And it's very clear you half way read my posts. You are still saying I wanted Metcalf. Yet I've repeatedly have said I had him mocked to us bc I had every hole filled in FA except WR in that mock. So not sure why you point that out. I never once was saying we should take Metcalf post FA. Not once. Fact is Macc has not drafted a good player for us on offense. The guys who we can say are good are going into their 2nd year, so lets not anoint them great players (Darnold and Herndon). Yet we go with defense and still have a below average defense every year. All this while the rules cater to offenses.

I'm just going from memory on who you wanted on offense specifically in the past few years.  You wanted White, Fournette, and said on numerous occasions that Metcalf was worthy of #3.  You might not have taken him after how FA went but that's not the point.  Point was you said he was #3 worthy.

I'm not here to debate every prospect you ever wanted in the later rounds that you were right about.  Truth was if you had the final say many of those guys I mentioned would have been passed on for offensive players who busted which would have been crippling for this franchise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

It’s one of those things that’s hard to explain. Leo is right up there with guys like Cox and Calais when looking at pressures and QB hits. The difference is those guys are converting those into  roughly 10 sacks a year. 

Leo has the same athletic profile as Campbell. I guess those 3 inches make a difference. Or Leo is due a big year. I’m betting on a big year.

So am I.  

I'm saying 7-8 sacks this year which would put him in the 2nd team all pro range.  Cox isn't really a 10+ sack guy.  He averages around 6.5 for his career.  He did have two big sack years with 9.5 (2015) and 10.5 (last year).  Mostly though he's in the 5-6 range.  If Leo does that he'll be considered among the likes of some of the best IDL in the NFL and in the 2nd team all pro running. 

Edited by Rockice_8

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

You acting like late round picks should be starters. Look at most teams drafts

Mac's day 2 picks are the one's that really bother me personally.  Mac's day 2 picks (before this year) had produced Devin Smith, Mauldin, Hackenberg, Jenkins, Maye, A. Stewart, and Shepherd.  Not something to be proud of.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Mac's day 2 picks are the one's that really bother me personally.  Mac's day 2 picks (before this year) had produced Devin Smith, Mauldin, Hackenberg, Jenkins, Maye, A. Stewart, and Shepherd.  Not something to be proud of.  

Ya 4 of those picks were just awful.

Fletcher Cox doesn't consistently get 20+ qb hits a year. Leonard Williams is a good player, he's still only 24. His best season probably is ahead of him.

Darron Lee will go somewhere and be a productive player,  hes been getting better. 

Nathan shepherd isnt gonna have a chance here since we got Williams but year 1 was a let down.

But you don't see any team constantly adding 4 starters every draft. Most drafted players bust, round 1 is the most likely impact round. It drops each round. It would have been nice to have a high 2nd round pick the last 2 years, but we got a franchise qb hopefully. 

I mean lets see how this year goes, if we end up surprising the league then i mean maccagnan deserves some credit. But hes done mostly what we needed this offseason besides land the edge and center, but barr turned us down last minute.  So i mean its not like he didnt try.

18 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Agreed 100%.  That should be your bread and butter for finding solid roll players to build around and having good depth.  It's been his biggest weakness thus far.

He's largely been solid in round 1 and has a few late round solid and UDFA finds who contribute but if he can't figure out rounds 2-3 he's going to continue to be average to below average.

40 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Agreed 100%.  That should be your bread and butter for finding solid roll players to build around and having good depth.  It's been his biggest weakness thus far.

He's largely been solid in round 1 and has a few late round solid and UDFA finds who contribute but if he can't figure out rounds 2-3 he's going to continue to be average to below average.

Hard to miss when you keep picking top 5 and the best players keep falling to you. I'll give him the UDFAs though.

Just now, NJerseypaint said:

Hard to miss when you keep picking top 5 and the best players keep falling to you. I'll give him the UDFAs though.

Well we only picked top 5 once and that was a trade up for Sam.  Why is that a knock on Mac that good players are there when he picks?  

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Well we only picked top 5 once and that was a trade up for Sam.  Why is that a knock on Mac that good players are there when he picks?  

I agree it shouldn’t be a knock against him... but he shouldn’t be praised for it either.

• Like 1

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Top 6* if you are going to nitpick. So Leo, Adams, Sam, Q. 3/4 were considered no brainers.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

It's consistently a knock on Mac around here though.

Why shouldn't he be praised for making a good pick I don't get it at all.  Because it was logical pick?   

Why should he be praised for a pick any person in his seat would be making? We don't knock him for it because he could have flubbed it all up and reached, but those guys were always going to be top contributors. It wasn't like he used his super GM abilities to land those guys or find undiscovered talent. He made the obvious decision. Big whoop. 

31 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Why should he be praised for a pick any person in his seat would be making? We don't knock him for it because he could have flubbed it all up and reached, but those guys were always going to be top contributors. It wasn't like he used his super GM abilities to land those guys or find undiscovered talent. He made the obvious decision. Big whoop. 

Mac got plenty of criticism around here for picks like Leo and Adams when they were made.  "We didn't need another IDL" and "Adams is a box safety".  Lets not pretend it's been consensus around here when they were made that they were no brainers.  Plus if they were clearly the best players in each draft they wouldn't have been there at 6.  There were 5 other GM's who didn't take them so clearly they weren't no the easy choice when guys like worse picks like Corey Davis and Leonard Fournette were taken ahead of Adams.

I'll admit I was concerned with the Adams pick because I wasn't sure he could cover.  He obviously has proven me wrong in that regard and has become a superstar.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Mac got plenty of criticism around here for picks like Leo and Adams when they were made.  "We didn't need another IDL" and "Adams is a box safety".  Lets not pretend it's been consensus around here when they were made that they were no brainers.  Plus if they were clearly the best players in each draft they wouldn't have been there at 6.  There were 5 other GM's who didn't take them so clearly they weren't no the easy choice when guys like worse picks like Corey Davis and Leonard Fournette were taken ahead of Adams.

Successful teams factor in need. When we don't. That's why other teams win and we don't.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Successful teams factor in need. When we don't. That's why other teams win and we don't.

There is no way you can make such a claim like that.  Actually you could argue the opposite that successful team take BPA and secure good talent which is why they are successful.  Typically when you reach for need is when you get burned.  Teams reached for worse players and is the exact reason why guys like Dante Fowler were drafted over Leo and Corey Davis over Adams.

• Like 2