2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Successful teams factor in need. When we don't. That's why other teams win and we don't.

Factoring in need when your picking as high as we've been is a recipe for disaster IMO. I can understand emphasizing need in later rounds (which we don't) or even in the mid to late first, but not top 6. 

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

There is no way you can make such a claim like that.  Actually you could argue the opposite that successful team take BPA and secure good talent which is why they are successful.  Typically when you reach for need is when you get burned.  Teams reached for worse players and is the exact reason why guys like Dante Fowler were drafted over Leo and Corey Davis over Adams.

I never said reach for a player. Their is a common ground you know. A guy can be ranked 5th on your board at a position of need when you draft at 3 and isn't a reach at 3. Just an example. Grabbing a guy ranked 20 on your board when drafting 3 is a reach.

12 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

There is no way you can make such a claim like that.  Actually you could argue the opposite that successful team take BPA and secure good talent which is why they are successful.  Typically when you reach for need is when you get burned.  Teams reached for worse players and is the exact reason why guys like Dante Fowler were drafted over Leo and Corey Davis over Adams.

This. "Successful" teams are adept to prioritizing need because of two reasons: They are consistently picking at the end of the draft where the discrepancy in talent is far less, and they have fewer needs,  justifying the risk associated with the pick.    

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I never said reach for a player. Their is a common ground you know. A guy can be ranked 5th on your board at a position of need when you draft at 3 and isn't a reach at 3. Just an example. Grabbing a guy ranked 20 on your board when drafting 3 is a reach.

You didn't have to say reach it's assumed.  It's not noticeable in the mid rounds when things get jumbled but picking a top 3 player compared to a top 8 player is a massive reach.  

Drafting for need in rounds 2-4 are probably why Mac has done so poorly by forcing WR's and OLB's on us because they were huge needs.  I understand there is a point where you just can't keep drafting the same position over and over and have it be smart because you need to build a balanced roster but when you have conviction that a great player is there and you pass because of need you should be fired immediately.

When it's that high on the board passing on a guy ranked 3 compared to 5-7 range may not seem like a big reach but it's is a pretty big reach actually.  It's how guys like Leo and Adams fall to us when they should have been top 3 picks without question. 

Only QB is when you can reach to secure your guy because of the importance of the position. 

People who bash Leonard Williams and say hes not 6th overall worthy, go relook the 2015 1st round. I say we did great considering the amount of busts. Leonard Williams is 24 made a probowl,  is a team leader and is getting better. Coach Gase seemed to say how Leo was a guy you had to gameplan against and put 4 hands on. 

57 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

It's how guys like Leo and Adams fall to us when they should have been top 3 picks without question. 

This is my point. You're a GM of a talent-less team and you're sitting at 6 when guys like Leo and Adams fall to you - those are some super safe picks. I'm not gonna praise him for not being a bone-head and taking the easy choice.

Hell, I could even argue that going Gurley and Watson would've been better for our franchise because Leo wasn't a need at the time and a safety is hardly going to turn a franchise around.

7 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Agreed 100%.  That should be your bread and butter for finding solid roll players to build around and having good depth.  It's been his biggest weakness thus far.

He's largely been solid in round 1 and has a few late round solid and UDFA finds who contribute but if he can't figure out rounds 2-3 he's going to continue to be average to below average.

Stats show 2nd and 3rd picks don't have a high hit average though.  So I am not sure where you say this should be your bread and butter comes from.

I agree that I would like to see some more hits on these picks and hoping we look back a Polite and Edgoa as hits.  Maye as well.  But expecting hit rate to be at a high level or even at level 1 just goes against the overall number of the NFL>

7 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Why should he be praised for a pick any person in his seat would be making? We don't knock him for it because he could have flubbed it all up and reached, but those guys were always going to be top contributors. It wasn't like he used his super GM abilities to land those guys or find undiscovered talent. He made the obvious decision. Big whoop. 

That's not true. 5 teams passed on Leo and Adams.  2 teams passed on Sam and Q Will.  Clearly all those GMs did not make those picks.  Think Jax would rather have taken Leo then Fowler now?

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Agree 100%.  Successful teams fill their roster with the best talent and the coaching staff needs to figure out how to mesh that talent.  Also it is not a bad thing to be strong in certain areas - - example DL.  I did not have a problem with Leo pick even though we already had a strong DL as (call me old school) the game is won in the trenches.  So more depth better talent helps keep that area strong when injuries happen.

6 hours ago, NJC33 said:

This. "Successful" teams are adept to prioritizing need because of two reasons: They are consistently picking at the end of the draft where the discrepancy in talent is far less, and they have fewer needs,  justifying the risk associated with the pick.    

But that is not always the case.  Best example is GB.  Did they need Aaron Rodgers?  Nope.  Favre just had a great year.  They knew he would sit.  But they took him because he was the BPA.   They don't make that pick they may never find Favre's replacement. 

Let us not forget that Bruce Arians has been quoted as saying you draft the best player. Always. If you have multiple good players that occupy a similar position, you find a way to use them. Period. I respect Arians. He is a winner.

26 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

That's not true. 5 teams passed on Leo and Adams.  2 teams passed on Sam and Q Will.  Clearly all those GMs did not make those picks.  Think Jax would rather have taken Leo then Fowler now?

In his seat - not 3 picks before him or 1 pick after. At #6 taking Leo and taking Adams was an easy win. If Jax had a bad GM doesn't make Macc a good one. It only makes him a better one.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Let us not forget that Bruce Arians has been quoted as saying you draft the best player. Always. If you have multiple good players that occupy a similar position, you find a way to use them. Period. I respect Arians. He is a winner.

That worked great for us when we were playing Sheldon as a OLB as well as Coples. And who will that be this year? Anderson maybe?

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That worked great for us when we were playing Sheldon as a OLB as well as Coples. And who will that be this year? Anderson maybe?

That was bad coaching more than anything. And Coples was a garbage pick, i hated that we took him.  Ingram was the better player. 

I can’t be persuaded at the moment that MACC is a good GM. He still here so he can change my mind over time. I said last year getting Darnold save day his job. Now Darnold has to develop to save his job. In a QB/offense driven league... just getting that 1 guy can save a guys job. When he realizes other spots on the offense are important as well, that’s when my mind might get changed in him. Next offseason should be to get a couple more OLineman and a WR. If we attack defense again. I really wash my hands with him.