2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

Cant wait to watch Harrison play in pre-season. I'm cautiously optimistic. He's been praised by Gase, Osemele and now Pollack. If he can become a solid player that will go a long for this year's team and the next few years. We can then just focus on upgrading LT and RG. Assuming Edoga or Shell can become solid at the RT spot. If we go into next off-season just needing to upgrading LT, RG, CB and possibly edge...man. 

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Cant wait to watch Harrison play in pre-season. I'm cautiously optimistic. He's been praised by Gase, Osemele and now Pollack. If he can become a solid player that will go a long for this year's team and the next few years. We can then just focus on upgrading LT and RG. Assuming Edoga or Shell can become solid at the RT spot. If we go into next off-season just needing to upgrading LT, RG, CB and possibly edge...man. 

Hopefully Polite can a big part of the edge solution. 

7 hours ago, SDotNova said:

It's going to be an interesting battle. Sounds like Boyer loves Cannon. I'm thinking Bell, Ty, and Cannon are locks. We can carry 4 RBs meaning that 4th spot is between McGuire and Powell. That's going to be a tough decision. Powell brings a veteran presence to the team. McGuire has potential on his side. It's going to be close. 

Cannon def gets the edge as he’s one of our Gunners. 

McGuire likely the odd man out. Is he practice squad eligible?

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Appears Houston and Clowney can’t come to a deal. Douglas should be looking into this situation.

I'd be worried about his contract killing us down the line. Great player, but we might lose some of our young guys if we're paying Clowney, Tru, Mosley, and Bell. Tru is getting $17M in 2021. Crowder is getting $10M+. I don't hate the idea of picking him up, but I do hate the idea of getting killed cap-wise, losing some of our young guys, and giving up a pick we really should keep. I love great defenses, but it gets really risky with some of these OLB's/DE's getting near $20M. 

14 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'd be worried about his contract killing us down the line. Great player, but we might lose some of our young guys if we're paying Clowney, Tru, Mosley, and Bell. Tru is getting $17M in 2021. Crowder is getting $10M+. I don't hate the idea of picking him up, but I do hate the idea of getting killed cap-wise, losing some of our young guys, and giving up a pick we really should keep. I love great defenses, but it gets really risky with some of these OLB's/DE's getting near $20M. 

Should be able to move some money around. 

Tru, AWill likely won’t play at their cap numbers next season but then Leo, Robby and others will see raises. 

Why would we spend that much on a DE/OLB that has yet to get double digit sacks?  He had 9 last year.  Jenkins had 7.  I do not put Clowney in the "great player" category.  Good, yes.  What am I missing here?

6 hours ago, xrade said:

Why would we spend that much on a DE/OLB that has yet to get double digit sacks?  He had 9 last year.  Jenkins had 7.  I do not put Clowney in the "great player" category.  Good, yes.  What am I missing here?

Is in your another word that Jets don't need to acquire Clowney because of Jenkins?   Clowney would be much an upgrade to Jenkins who will become FA after this season.

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Is in your another word that Jets don't need to acquire Clowney because of Jenkins?   Clowney would be much an upgrade to Jenkins who will become FA after this season.

I am not suggesting Jenkins is better than Clowney.  What I am suggesting is not to overpay for a DE/OLB that does not offer double digit sacks.  I can't help but feel that Clowney is still living off the highlight reel hit in college.  Would he be an upgrade? Yes.  Is he worth more than $15 million per year?  No.  His own team is balking at his demands and they have the second most cap space.  That should be all we need to know.

34 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am not suggesting Jenkins is better than Clowney.  What I am suggesting is not to overpay for a DE/OLB that does not offer double digit sacks.  I can't help but feel that Clowney is still living off the highlight reel hit in college.  Would he be an upgrade? Yes.  Is he worth more than $15 million per year?  No.  His own team is balking at his demands and they have the second most cap space.  That should be all we need to know.

Bill O'Brien doesn't want to give him a new contract. That's it.    I am not big for trading top pick(s) for and paying hefty $ to Clowney at the same time, though.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

So you’d pay if he had 1 more sack? He had 9 and you want double digits which is 10.