2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

On 7/18/2019 at 10:50 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

So your opinion would change if he had 10 sacks in 2017 and 2018 instead of 9.5 and 9?

Also he was stout against the run last year, dude was a stud all around but double digit sacks seem to be the criteria for paying elite talent.

Or if actually had GREAT pass rushing numbers...I dont think he is a stud at all. I think you are completely over rating him and trading for him and then giving him top tier money is a monumental mistake. If you think hes an elite talent I think you need to watch more DE's or EDGE players...He is not elite.

9 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Or if actually had GREAT pass rushing numbers...I dont think he is a stud at all. I think you are completely over rating him and trading for him and then giving him top tier money is a monumental mistake. If you think hes an elite talent I think you need to watch more DE's or EDGE players...He is not elite.

Again his metrics say he was ELITE last year, his athleticism is something we have not had on this team possibly ever. 

Even if I’m overrating him(which I’m not) he’s still a better player than Jenkins even at an inflated salary. 

You’re simply wrong about him and preferring Jenkins is almost hilarious. 

Looking at that roster, damn with Q. Williams in at NT they could blow some people up, he and Leonard Williams.  Then you have CJ Mosley a stud ILB and Gregg Williams a blitz master defensive coordinator.  They could be a great front, I was never a huge fan of Polite coming out of college as a high 1st round pick but where they got him he is a steal and if only asked to rush the passer he could do some damage.  And I think Blake Cashman could see some OLB time if Jenkins or Copeland do not perform as well, or Cashman could be a great ILB.  CB spot is a little question but Adams is a stud safety, they could route out to be a pretty good defense.  But yeah that front with Q. Williams in the middle could do some damage especially if they find edge rushers to push in.

I've always felt that Clowney was being misused in Huston, he's dominate against the run/pass IMO, but a change of scenery could propel him into that "elite" tier. Then again, he seems like the type of guy who might pack it in after securing the bag. Either way, doesn't seem like a logical fit for this team, we still aren't "One piece away" and IMO would be better off allocating resources elsewhere like OL. 

7 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I've always felt that Clowney was being misused in Huston, he's dominate against the run/pass IMO, but a change of scenery could propel him into that "elite" tier. Then again, he seems like the type of guy who might pack it in after securing the bag. Either way, doesn't seem like a logical fit for this team, we still aren't "One piece away" and IMO would be better off allocating resources elsewhere like OL. 

We’re not going to build the O-Line at this juncture of the offseason. Maybe a depth piece comes available but we’ll have to wait until the draft to add a top tier OL and maybe one through free agency comes available.

An Elite pass rusher will help everyone next season. 

Gets the defense off the field on 3rd down and gives Darnold more opportunities to score points.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

I’m not overly concerned about the sack total as much as I am about creating a dirty pocket and making QBs uncomfortable.

I’m sick of QBs sitting back picking us apart. 

If we can force QBs to move or to throw earlier than they want then we can make more things happen on defense. 

I think we will do that this year.  With two studs in the middle and Gregg getting creative I expect to see a lot more disruption this year.

I think if the CB's can hold up this year we'll have a top 10 defense. 

On 7/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, ekill08x said:

ESPN did that pass rush win rate last year and I remember seeing Clowney right near the top for pass rusher.

Makes me think he is very Leo-esque with his great metrics that don't lead to big sack numbers.

Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing considering the way people talk about Leo in here.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

ESPN did that pass rush win rate last year and I remember seeing Clowney right near the top for pass rusher.

Makes me think he is very Leo-esque with his great metrics that don't lead to big sack numbers.

Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing considering the way people talk about Leo in here.

I think as long as you’re creating pressure then it’s a good thing.

If you can force a QB to throw before a receiver breaks on his route or gains separation then you’re putting your backend in position to make plays on the ball. 

Edited by KingOfTheDot

18 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We’re not going to build the O-Line at this juncture of the offseason. Maybe a depth piece comes available but we’ll have to wait until the draft to add a top tier OL and maybe one through free agency comes available.

An Elite pass rusher will help everyone next season. 

Gets the defense off the field on 3rd down and gives Darnold more opportunities to score points.

Completely understand that, but paying Clowney 16M+ a year going forward could inhibit our ability to spend on other areas in the future. I like Clowney's talent so I wouldn't hate it, just think were better off taking the conservative approach. Again, just my preference, I'm sure I could easily talk myself into it if it happened. 

I wonder if Dallas will be looking to move La'el Collins? He's going to be a free agent at the end of this year, and I can't imagine they have the money to pay him. I'd expect Douglas to at least look into his situation, would immediately be an upgrade at RG/RT and is still just 25. Also, with Trent Williams not reporting to camp I'd imagine the trade speculation surrounding him begins to heat up, which we should be all over. 

Gut tells me Douglas will be hesitant to trade picks from what will be his first draft, but in the mean time I can keep dreaming of an improved OL lol. 

Edited by NJC33

18 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Completely understand that, but paying Clowney 16M+ a year going forward could inhibit our ability to spend on other areas in the future. I like Clowney's talent so I wouldn't hate it, just think were better off taking the conservative approach. Again, just my preference, I'm sure I could easily talk myself into it if it happened. 

Tru and AW won’t play for us at their salaries next year most likely so money opens up there. 

Leo’s deal likely won’t be huge either. 

The money has to get spent somewhere and Darnold is years away from his mega deal, Adams we still have 2 years left before paying him.

The one thing Macc did was he never put us in a bad cap situation.