2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

19 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I wonder if Dallas will be looking to move La'el Collins? He's going to be a free agent at the end of this year, and I can't imagine they have the money to pay him. I'd expect Douglas to at least look into his situation, would immediately be an upgrade at RG/RT and is still just 25. Also, with Trent Williams not reporting to camp I'd imagine the trade speculation surrounding him begins to heat up, which we should be all over. 

Gut tells me Douglas will be hesitant to trade picks from what will be his first draft, but in the mean time I can keep dreaming of an improved OL lol. 

Yes please to Collins.

I would love to make that move.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

It matters if ownership is sticking their nose in negotiations.

Is this just two GM's with a similar approach or is it ownership?

Ownership signs off on almost everything money related. If CJ signed off on paying Darnold his bonus within 15 days instead of splitting it between two years then Quinnen who was picked in the same slot will want the same.

And even if CJ didn’t then Quinnen’s agent will still try and get the same. 

Just like in court cases they find cases from years ago in different places with different lawyers and defendants, they find a reason to get the same results. That’s what a precedent is. 

On 7/20/2019 at 11:05 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

Again his metrics say he was ELITE last year, his athleticism is something we have not had on this team possibly ever. 

Even if I’m overrating him(which I’m not) he’s still a better player than Jenkins even at an inflated salary. 

You’re simply wrong about him and preferring Jenkins is almost hilarious. 

Where did Jenkins come into this discussion lol? Bro if you're going to try and get condescending, like you seem to do with EVERYONE, at least stick to the topic. 

12 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Where did Jenkins come into this discussion lol? Bro if you're going to try and get condescending, like you seem to do with EVERYONE, at least stick to the topic. 

The discussion was Jenkins at 3M vs Clowney at 16M, check about 2-3 pages back. 

As for your other remark...well whatever 

Edited by KingOfTheDot

I have reservations about trading for a 31yr old player with injury concerns.   I understand Trent Williams is a top player when healthy and will a be an upgrade at LT.  The most I will offer will be a 3rd round.  I am content to wait for Collins in free agency next offseason than to offer more draft picks.   The best time to make a move is now before the games start.   If the OL struggles in pre-season games the price will go up.

14 hours ago, famousj said:

I have reservations about trading for a 31yr old player with injury concerns.   I understand Trent Williams is a top player when healthy and will a be an upgrade at LT.  The most I will offer will be a 3rd round.  I am content to wait for Collins in free agency next offseason than to offer more draft picks.   The best time to make a move is now before the games start.   If the OL struggles in pre-season games the price will go up.

I think based off of the fact that he is holding out and that he’s always hurt will only net them a 3 at most otherwise you are over paying. I would send the 6 we got from KC too and maybe even Shell in some sort of combination of a deal. Moving Beachum to the right would make this Oline at worst top 15...likely top 10. 

For sure a guy I’d look into. The thing is is Beachum isn’t bad. So we don’t see LT as an issue for this season. Long term we need a guy. The issue is for me is if we trade for him and give a 3rd let’s say. Where we playing these guys. For this season ya we could do. Williams, Osemele, Harrison, Winters, Beachum. But that slows down Shells progress as well as Edoga. And we need to get younger on the OL. Just creates a lot of moving pieces. I’d rather save the draft pick. Over pay for Collins in FA and draft a guy in the 1st 2 rounds next year on the OL.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

For sure a guy I’d look into. The thing is is Beachum isn’t bad. So we don’t see LT as an issue for this season. Long term we need a guy. The issue is for me is if we trade for him and give a 3rd let’s say. Where we playing these guys. For this season ya we could do. Williams, Osemele, Harrison, Winters, Beachum. But that slows down Shells progress as well as Edoga. And we need to get younger on the OL. Just creates a lot of moving pieces. I’d rather save the draft pick. Over pay for Collins in FA and draft a guy in the 1st 2 rounds next year on the OL.

I think at this point Shell is easily replaceable.  He's not a developmental piece anymore at 27 and he just isn't that good.  We could do worse at RT but he's not good enough to not upgrade if the chance presents itself.  

Edgoa yes is a developmental piece but unless injury hits he's probably red shirting this season and will compete for an OT spot next season which is exactly what he should be doing.  Not sure adding Williams is the right move for the Jets.  I think I'd prefer to keep that pick and use it in the draft for a C.  I feel like someone else will offer a 3rd plus to get him and we should rebuild the line through the draft.

I'm looking at a 1st round LT and a 3rd round C next year.

16 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think at this point Shell is easily replaceable.  He's not a developmental piece anymore at 27 and he just isn't that good.  We could do worse at RT but he's not good enough to not upgrade if the chance presents itself.  

Edgoa yes is a developmental piece but unless injury hits he's probably red shirting this season and will compete for an OT spot next season which is exactly what he should be doing.  Not sure adding Williams is the right move for the Jets.  I think I'd prefer to keep that pick and use it in the draft for a C.  I feel like someone else will offer a 3rd plus to get him and we should rebuild the line through the draft.

I'm looking at a 1st round LT and a 3rd round C next year.

I agree in theory. But fact is after this season Shell and Edoga are our only OTs under contract. And he is the starting RT as of now. I’d like atleast to start him this year and have him hopefully get better. And if we somehow can land 2 OTs (or Edoga progresses) in the offseason move Shell to RG if he showed well. Adding Williams now with Beachum, Shell and Edoga on the roster really complicated things long term more so than helps. I’d rather see us trade a 3rd for a good C. Or offer Beachum in a trade for Williams with a lower draft pick. But I do like that Beachum knows Bells’s Running style and is there to help the other OLineman understand it. Osemele and Winters are maulers and Harrison and Shell need coaching to be better.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree in theory. But fact is after this season Shell and Edoga are our only OTs under contract. And he is the starting RT as of now. I’d like atleast to start him this year and have him hopefully get better. And if we somehow can land 2 OTs (or Edoga progresses) in the offseason move Shell to RG if he showed well. Adding Williams now with Beachum, Shell and Edoga on the roster really complicated things long term more so than helps. I’d rather see us trade a 3rd for a good C. Or offer Beachum in a trade for Williams with a lower draft pick. But I do like that Beachum knows Bells’s Running style and is there to help the other OLineman understand it. Osemele and Winters are maulers and Harrison and Shell need coaching to be better.

Shell will never be a better guard then Winters and they are basically the same age.  Shell is a terrible run blocker too which is no suitable for guard.  He's a RT only.

Edoga is a red shirt so having Williams and Beachum as your tackles with Shell as a backup is a good thing, not a complicated one.  Williams is injury prone so having a starting capable backup is smart.  Edoga playing this year is not a good thing unless he's further along then we expect.  Right now is Beachum or Shell goes down Edoga is playing I would guess.