2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

The biggest issue that no one is talking about is that we can't extend him until after the season.  There is absolutely no guarantee he will resign with us.  In essence, he is a one year rental on a rebuilding team that is a year or two off from contention.  We could franchise tag him at an extremely exorbitant cap hit, but he could very well do what he is doing now and not report.  This makes absolutely no sense for us. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

The biggest issue that no one is talking about is that we can't extend him until after the season.  There is absolutely no guarantee he will resign with us.  In essence, he is a one year rental on a rebuilding team that is a year or two off from contention.  We could franchise tag him at an extremely exorbitant cap hit, but he could very well do what he is doing now and not report.  This makes absolutely no sense for us. 

We are a franchise trending up. You're correct that we ant sign him long term. But I'd be very optimistic he would sign long term with us.

I expect we will add a CB on the waiver wire after this game as well. The Eagles are gonna have to release some CBs that are better than some of the guys we have.  Whats big is Trumaine Johnson is practicing 7 on 7, so hopefully he will be good for week 1 cause we definitely need him starting. He was having a big training camp, always read him getting INTs. 

3 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I have a feeling we're going to get Quincy Wilson and Tavon Young(if released) at CB. 

Are you expecting us to trade for Quincy Wilson? What como did you have in mind?

Probably less likely now that the colts traded Hairston. Just curious to hear what others would be willing to trade for a possible number 2 corner.

Edited by SDotNova

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Man I think I'd do it. But that's a valuable pick for a new GM to trade away in his 1st draft. But if it finally gets us our edge than it would be worth it. Clowney still has the (injury past) thing hovering over him. But he actually has played 14, 16 and 15 games the last 3 years and in that time has had 24.5 sacks in that time. Call me optimistic... but I think with the talent and depth we have on our DL it should be easy for him to get to 10 sacks yearly.... and he's still only 26.

You are optimistic.  He's been played with Watt and Mercilus so I doubt that is going to be the case.

If we could lock him up long term once we sign him I'd consider it but we can't.  He's gonna hit FA which is a major risk if he wants to test the market and sign elsewhere.  I'm shocked MIA would want to trade for him given that he might not want to stay because they are a terrible football team.

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You are optimistic.  He's been played with Watt and Mercilus so I doubt that is going to be the case.

If we could lock him up long term once we sign him I'd consider it but we can't.  He's gonna hit FA which is a major risk if he wants to test the market and sign elsewhere.  I'm shocked MIA would want to trade for him given that he might not want to stay because they are a terrible football team.

This just means the Dolphins will continue to be outside the range of the top QBs in the draft.

Edited by SDotNova

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Just trade a 6th for Nate Hairston from the Colts. Started 11 games in past two years. Former 5th round pick in 2017. Solid move. It help moves the depth needle in the very least even if just slightly. Douglas gets it.

I'm indifferent on the move.  Not a fan but also not mad because it's a late 6th.  He's really just a 4th CB type for depth so it just goes to show you how bad everyone after Tru, Roberts and Poole are that we have to waste a pick on a 4th CB.  Would rather have coughed up a 3rd for a true #2 but I guess it just wasn't available.

Just now, SDotNova said:

This just means the Dolphins will continue to be outside the range of the top QBs in the draft.

Clowney isn't moving the needle enough for that.  They are gonna be awful.

It just means they could swap Tunsil for Clowney and Clowney could walk if he wants.  I'd be all for signing Clowney next year if he hits the market but we can't risk a 2nd for a possible 1 year rental and MIA would be dumb to do that as well.

13 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm indifferent on the move.  Not a fan but also not mad because it's a late 6th.  He's really just a 4th CB type for depth so it just goes to show you how bad everyone after Tru, Roberts and Poole are that we have to waste a pick on a 4th CB.  Would rather have coughed up a 3rd for a true #2 but I guess it just wasn't available.

Thing is, no team is gonna want to trade a good cb. Best we can hope for is finding guys who play well in the scheme. We are gonna need to find depth guys cause after our top 3 we had trash

I read somewhere Clowney missed training camp due to knee surgery last year and it took him 4 weeks into the season to be productive again.   Amazing that, he has been MIA this summer.  I changed my mind about acquiring him unless it was a 3rd or later (haha!).

Also, many of NFL teams are pass first offense so there may be a snag for Jets when they want better CB via good trade.   We will see.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Man I think I'd do it. But that's a valuable pick for a new GM to trade away in his 1st draft. But if it finally gets us our edge than it would be worth it. Clowney still has the (injury past) thing hovering over him. But he actually has played 14, 16 and 15 games the last 3 years and in that time has had 24.5 sacks in that time. Call me optimistic... but I think with the talent and depth we have on our DL it should be easy for him to get to 10 sacks yearly.... and he's still only 26.

I'm thinking leave it. As great as it would be to see an imposing player at EDGE, I'd like to see the Jets do what Macc said he would (but didn't): build a pipeline at the position.  

I think we should resign Leo; I truly think he will break out in this defense and he's only 24. After that, we're going to have to be careful how we spend our money. We won't have nearly as much as last year and we have a few players who may land big contracts based on this years play; namely Robby and Beachum. It could be determined that the offense has been to blame rather than both of them, and with both being reletively young with plenty of starting experience they'll likely be in line for big extensions. Hopefully Edoga takes steps and we can consider using him at LT, but I'd love to go after guys like La'el Collins, Daryl Williams, JC Tretter, Brandon Scherff if possible. Build a dominant OL with Sam and Bell... woof. Then use the draft to address the defense (and add a WR).