2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

55 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

A few release/late round trade candidates on my radar... 

• Robert Quinn, DE, Miami (28) - played for both Gase and Williams and could be a nice addition at DE. 
  • Nelson Agholor, WR, Philadelphia (25) - owed nearly $10m, final year of deal, team is in cap trouble. 
  • Everson Griffen, DE, Minnesota (31) - need to dig into this given the mental troubles he faced earlier this year, but has always been a good player and could be a release candidate do to MIN cap troubles. Could be a really good additional if everything checks out. 
  • Mohamed Sanu, WR, Atlanta (29) - has always been a rock-solid #2/3, which is something the Jets can really use. 
  • Vic Beasley, EDGE, Atlanta (26) - bloated cap hit; not a great fit for the Jets but could see him as a SLB/DE hybrid. 
  • Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Denver (31) - yes coming off serious injury, but could be worth an incentive-laden contract. 
  • Jamie Collins, LB, Cleveland (29) - good fit as a hybrid SLB in this defense and has a good relationship with Gregg Williams. 

Really random, but I just posted a large article on the topic.  Quinn, Agholor, Sanu, and Collins are on it.  Beasley, Sanders, and Griffen are not.

In addition to the list above, I think we will be finalists for the following Unrestricted FAs...

• Dante Fowler, DE, Los Angeles Rams (24) - our front office has long had an affinity for Fowler so don’t be surprised to see us overpay for him. 
  • Le’Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh (27) - We’ve addressed this at length. 
  • Matt Paradis, C, Denver (29) - there are a lot of links between Paradis and the Jets organization. Maybe we entertain a younger option in Mitch Morse if he hits the market, but I feel like Paradis will be the guy we go hard for with Spencer Long possibly returning to compete at LG.

Other than these 3 guys, it’s kind of hard to know what approach the Jets will take without knowing how the coaching staff views some of our players/what scheme we’ll implement (i.e. maybe Gase intends to use Enunwa strictly in the slot, as he did Landry)

My expectations next year no matter who we bring in isn’t playoffs or bust, to me the goal for this upcoming season has to be making Offensive consistency and Pass Rush, if we improve these 2 factors then I’ll be happy in step 2 of the rebuild

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

This offseason should be the one that takes this team into the playoffs. 

Kinda crazy thats after all the "This is an offense driven league" crap the superbowl was all defense

I’ve always liked the Pats way of doing it offensively and defensively. 

Protect the QB

Two reliable targets(Gronk and Edelman)

Versatile Running backs(White/Michel)

Defense who doesn’t give up touchdowns. 

Good special teams. 

They’re also Scheme versatile and can change week to week, hell sometimes half to half. That’s what Gase said he tries to do based off the opponent. 

25 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I’ve always liked the Pats way of doing it offensively and defensively. 

Protect the QB

Two reliable targets(Gronk and Edelman)

Versatile Running backs(White/Michel)

Defense who doesn’t give up touchdowns. 

Good special teams. 

They’re also Scheme versatile and can change week to week, hell sometimes half to half. That’s what Gase said he tries to do based off the opponent. 

This very true, I agree. I don't understand why he let Cooks go after last season. There is no question he is a football Genius. To think he was our coach for one day.

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Belichick has always understood the true value of wide receivers and skill players in general. 

I think he's just amazing at coaching them. He takes in people willing to sit and listen and not make decisions on the field for themselves. Don't ask questions, just do it and you'll win. His receivers have always been small shifty guys who can sit in zones and make throwing widows "bigger". Brady is deadly accurate so hitting them is clockwork. Gronk is the guy in charge of keeping the defense honest. Just like Moss was, he's makes sure there's room for the underneath guys. For the halfbacks, you run to tire everyone out and then on passes you train them to snap their heads around on every blitz. If you don't have a guy to block you better be looking at Brady with your hands up. It's such a fine oiled machine, and because he has Brady, just about any other part will do.

Defense is a whole other monster. I don't think anyone is better at cover 2 than BB. I honestly don't know how he's able to clamp down on the best offenses in the league year after year.

6 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Belichick has always understood the true value of wide receivers and skill players in general. 

This to me is a very overrated comment. Gronk is a #1 WR. So this whole NE never has a stud WR argument to me has never made sense. Gronk is that. Let’s also not forget how much NE cheats with WR pick plays to make average WRs look good.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This to me is a very overrated comment. Gronk is a #1 WR. So this whole NE never has a stud WR argument to me has never made sense. Gronk is that. Let’s also not forget how much NE cheats with WR pick plays to make average WRs look good.

Deal with it. Gronk is a #1 yes but he’s placed guys around him that no one on this team would consider great or even good. 

Scheming guys open is extremely important. Gase does a good job of that. 

At the end of the day he just won a SB with a broken down Gronk, Edelman, Hogan, Dorsett, James White, Rex Burkhead, Sony Michel, etc...

The things an OL and QB allow you to often goes overlooked.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Deal with it. Gronk is a #1 yes but he’s placed guys around him that no one on this team would consider great or even good. 

Scheming guys open is extremely important. Gase does a good job of that. 

At the end of the day he just won a SB with a broken down Gronk, Edelman, Hogan, Dorsett, James White, Rex Burkhead, Sony Michel, etc...

The things an OL and QB allow you to often goes overlooked.

And every single one of those skill players are pretty much better than any of ours.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Ever since Brady was the starting QB, he has always had top receivers. In Brady's early years he had Randy Moss, Banch. then Amendola. Welker, Cooks, and  now Edelman.  And had a all pro TE in Gronk. Even this year he brought in Josh Gordon, but he ended up in a nut house. Belichick has had the same passing attack for years weather it is Edelman, Welker Or Amendola, they run from right to left just over the five yard limit where a defender can't hit them and are wide open all the time. No teams has ever been able to stop this attack, why I have no idea. I do agree with you on pick plays on this particular pass attack I am talking about, as slight as they are they are still illegal.