2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

No clue where to put this put McGuire and Cannon were 1 & 2 for highest drop rates in the league amongst RB's with at least 20 targets.

McGuire has excellent hands so I wouldn't over think 1 season.  Not sure how Cannon's are though.

I think If we can land Bell then a trio of Bell, Crowell, and McGuire will do nicely with Cannon as the 4th back/PS/or stick as a special teams gunner type guy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I expect us to go hard for Humphries in FA to add that "Edelman" to our offense. And target a WR in the draft in the 1st few Rounds. Making our WR core... Q, Robby, Humphries and drafted WR

That’s the best we can hope for at WR during FA. At least that what I’m hoping for. Lol. There’s a few guys that can fill that slot role. Humphries would be a great option. But there’s also Crowder or if we are ok going with an older guy for a couple of years there’s Tate, Cobb and Beasley. We can even trade for Agholor. 

On 2/9/2019 at 7:46 AM, barnaby8787 said:

On another website, someone suggested signing both Leveon and Coleman. The reasoning was that Coleman is elite as a receiving back and would be half the price as a slot receiver. So you can basically use him as a weapon out of the backfield or plug him in the slot as well. And obviously, use him as a change of pace back. 

I like the concept of positionless offensive weapons. We already have one of those players in Enunwa. Bell would be that type of player as well because he can play the slot as well. Coleman might be overkill but I wouldn’t be against it. Jet Sweeps would be that much more dangerous when the guy coming around the corner is Coleman. You would really need to respect that motion.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

That’s the best we can hope for at WR during FA. At least that what I’m hoping for. Lol. There’s a few guys that can fill that slot role. Humphries would be a great option. But there’s also Crowder or if we are ok going with an older guy for a couple of years there’s Tate, Cobb and Beasley. We can even trade for Agholor. 

I like the idea of Humphries, Crowder or Agholor bc they’re still young and can grow with Darnold. Where a guy like Tate or Cobb can certainly help... but won’t be here long enough to have that long chemistry

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Beat reporters don’t think Trent resigns with the Pats. If Mac were smart, he’d add Brown and then swing Beachum for a mid-late round pick given the FA class for LT’s is weak. 

I hope we take this approach, but not sure we will. I agree that Beachum's relatively low salary is tradeable. That being said, the one thing you're not considering is how teams more desperate than the Jets will bid for Brown. Beachum is a solid player who is just turning 30 years old, and believe it or not he's one of the top 10 pass protectors in the league. The Jets value that despite his low totals as a run blocker, and I think they'll look at how poor the play of his guard-mate was to help explain that. If you're looking at Beachum's play from the front-office, you see a player who doesn't rely on size or athleticism to win his battles; he's fundamentally sound, has good footwork and technique, is very coachable, and is a leader. He has the makeup of a player who can remain at a solid level deep into his 30s without requiring a huge contract. With that in mind, its possible the Jets approach this year as another trial run for him to see if he's worth committing to next year and beyond while developing a tackle in the meantime. 

As far as Brown: I don't think he's an elite LT, but he's good enough. He has the age, size, the length, enough athleticism to remain an average-to-above average LT for the next few years. It's possible he'd have to eventually move back to the right side, but either way he's the type of player the Jets would be able to rely on long-term as they seek to rebuild their offensive line. But like I said, (1) the Jets aren't desperate. They need to improve in the interior more than they do at LT; and (2) the Jets may have the most money to spend, but they're not going to be able to outbid every team for everyone. If a team like HOU makes it their priority to sign one key player like Brown, chances are they will have a better offer than we will. 

I think improving the interior line is definitely the top priority offensively. Helps the run game and keeps the pocket clean for Darnold. 

Next year we can add either twin tackles if Shell doesn’t elevate his play or just an LT. 

I still want Brown but with holes at LG/C as clear as day i think they allocate resources there first.

I don't think the Jets would do this, but I certainly would if I were running the show... 

• Since Flacco is heading to DEN, they need to move Keenum by either trading him or cutting him. 
  • If cut they will eat $10 million; if trade they will eat $3 million 
  • Jets offer their 7th and ask for Keenum and DEN 3rd in return. 

Jets would have to pay $18 million to a backup QB, but they have the money to do it and they'd be adding draft capital. Can't look at it as if the "3rd round pick is worth $18 million" the way people twisted it when CLE traded for Brock - in a salary cap era where you need to spend a certain amount of money and not enough talent to spend all that money on, not the worst thing in the world. Jets can turn around and cut him if they so chose, eat the $7 million cap hit and be on their way. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I hope we take this approach, but not sure we will. I agree that Beachum's relatively low salary is tradeable. That being said, the one thing you're not considering is how teams more desperate than the Jets will bid for Brown. Beachum is a solid player who is just turning 30 years old, and believe it or not he's one of the top 10 pass protectors in the league. The Jets value that despite his low totals as a run blocker, and I think they'll look at how poor the play of his guard-mate was to help explain that. If you're looking at Beachum's play from the front-office, you see a player who doesn't rely on size or athleticism to win his battles; he's fundamentally sound, has good footwork and technique, is very coachable, and is a leader. He has the makeup of a player who can remain at a solid level deep into his 30s without requiring a huge contract. With that in mind, its possible the Jets approach this year as another trial run for him to see if he's worth committing to next year and beyond while developing a tackle in the meantime. 

As far as Brown: I don't think he's an elite LT, but he's good enough. He has the age, size, the length, enough athleticism to remain an average-to-above average LT for the next few years. It's possible he'd have to eventually move back to the right side, but either way he's the type of player the Jets would be able to rely on long-term as they seek to rebuild their offensive line. But like I said, (1) the Jets aren't desperate. They need to improve in the interior more than they do at LT; and (2) the Jets may have the most money to spend, but they're not going to be able to outbid every team for everyone. If a team like HOU makes it their priority to sign one key player like Brown, chances are they will have a better offer than we will. 

I agree that the interior is more important, but either way, Mac needs to find out future LT over the next two years or so.  Brown still has the upside to be just that.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think improving the interior line is definitely the top priority offensively. Helps the run game and keeps the pocket clean for Darnold. 

Next year we can add either twin tackles if Shell doesn’t elevate his play or just an LT. 

I still want Brown but with holes at LG/C as clear as day i think they allocate resources there first.

My gut says we find a stopgap at guard and go hard after Paradis/Morse.  Ramon Foster comes to mind.  We've had luck with Pitt lineman in the past and while he's older, he's still grading out as a top 20 guard.  Bring him in on a short-term deal and draft a guard.  That provides flexibility for a guy like Trent.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't think the Jets would do this, but I certainly would if I were running the show... 

• Since Flacco is heading to DEN, they need to move Keenum by either trading him or cutting him. 
  • If cut they will eat $10 million; if trade they will eat $3 million 
  • Jets offer their 7th and ask for Keenum and DEN 3rd in return. 

Jets would have to pay $18 million to a backup QB, but they have the money to do it and they'd be adding draft capital. Can't look at it as if the "3rd round pick is worth $18 million" the way people twisted it when CLE traded for Brock - in a salary cap era where you need to spend a certain amount of money and not enough talent to spend all that money on, not the worst thing in the world. Jets can turn around and cut him if they so chose, eat the $7 million cap hit and be on their way. 

Lol I was about to type 18M for a 3rd round pick. 

Anyway I like this. Could even get Keenum to restructure a bit to maybe have a long term home and we get a long term #2 QB. 

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

My gut says we find a stopgap at guard and go hard after Paradis/Morse.  Ramon Foster comes to mind.  We've had luck with Pitt lineman in the past and while he's older, he's still grading out as a top 20 guard.  Bring him in on a short-term deal and draft a guard.  That provides flexibility for a guy like Trent.

Couple fans have linked Leary to us with the hiring of Pollack.