2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

6 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Maybe but not before June 1st

Not necessarily true. Waiting until June 1 is only beneficial for teams who want to reallocate/spread out the cap hit over 2 years, but it's not like they're saving actual money... they already paid him. 

From a cash prospective, it makes more sense to trade him immediately. Why? He's owed a $2.5 million roster bonus on the 5th day of the league year, meaning the Rooney's can save a $2.5m check. Maybe they decide that $2.5 million isn't a lot of money (Jets did this with Revis), but at the same time, if you trade him now and get it over with he's totally off the books next year (leaving the team in a very flush cap situation likely over $80 million), while if you wait until post-June 1 you have a $7 million cap hit this year and $14 million in 2020. 

In the past you'd absolutely opt to go Post-June, but with the way the cap has boomed a move like this won't tremendously effect them. They can easily trade him, sign players to big contracts while kicking the "cap-can" until next year, when AB is off the books. 

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

This I'd be a lot more ok with. He may be a thug but he's way more skilled than Fournette. If we were to trade for Fournette, we might as well just sign Mark Ingram and not give up any draft capital.

I think hes better all around, and the incident I feel wasn't near as bad as they made it out to be. Not even comparable with Ray Rice.

37 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Not necessarily true. Waiting until June 1 is only beneficial for teams who want to reallocate/spread out the cap hit over 2 years, but it's not like they're saving actual money... they already paid him. 

From a cash prospective, it makes more sense to trade him immediately. Why? He's owed a $2.5 million roster bonus on the 5th day of the league year, meaning the Rooney's can save a $2.5m check. Maybe they decide that $2.5 million isn't a lot of money (Jets did this with Revis), but at the same time, if you trade him now and get it over with he's totally off the books next year (leaving the team in a very flush cap situation likely over $80 million), while if you wait until post-June 1 you have a $7 million cap hit this year and $14 million in 2020. 

In the past you'd absolutely opt to go Post-June, but with the way the cap has boomed a move like this won't tremendously effect them. They can easily trade him, sign players to big contracts while kicking the "cap-can" until next year, when AB is off the books. 

Problem is Steelers want a strong return for him. Can they gamble on 2.5m for better return?

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Problem is Steelers want a strong return for him. Can they gamble on 2.5m for better return?

Agreed. But lets be real, they'll know what they can get for him and from whom by the end of the combine, and the ball will be in their court whether or not to make a move. In a year where the free agency WR market is this thin, a few teams will pay a high price for him. I don't think it will be us. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Agreed. But lets be real, they'll know what they can get for him and from whom by the end of the combine, and the ball will be in their court whether or not to make a move. In a year where the free agency WR market is this thin, a few teams will pay a high price for him. I don't think it will be us. 

Unfortunate for Jets, indeed.   I think 49ers and Colts have best shot to land him.

17 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Are the steelers really willing to franchise again? They already alienated their entire team with the franchise tag with Bell. Last thing they should want is to continue the same thread where noone would want to go there since players hate the franchise tag and the steelers are very liberal with it and stingy on long term deals. 

From a fan-service perspective,  tagging AB can backfire on them as steelers fans may be tired of the steelers trying to not pay their guys long term deals. 

11 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Unfortunate for Jets, indeed.   I think 49ers and Colts have best shot to land him.

Colts are definitely a team to watch. Keep an eye on the Raiders... that would be such a Gruden move to flip the 1 they got from DAL to PIT for AB.

I think 49ers can get creative (send a 2nd and a 2020 1st?). They're going to be aggressive, but don't think they're stupid enough to give up #2. 

9 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

Are the steelers really willing to franchise again? They already alienated their entire team with the franchise tag with Bell. Last thing they should want is to continue the same thread where noone would want to go there since players hate the franchise tag and the steelers are very liberal with it and stingy on long term deals. 

From a fan-service perspective,  tagging AB can backfire on them as steelers fans may be tired of the steelers trying to not pay their guys long term deals. 

Not sure if I follow you right.   Le'Veon Bell being tagged for third time? Zero chance.    Antonio Brown has 3 years left on contract.

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Colts are definitely a team to watch. Keep an eye on the Raiders... that would be such a Gruden move to flip the 1 they got from DAL to PIT for AB.

I think 49ers can get creative (send a 2nd and a 2020 1st?). They're going to be aggressive, but don't think they're stupid enough to give up #2. 

After the combine. Yep.

11 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Not sure if I follow you right.   Le'Veon Bell being tagged for third time? Zero chance.    Antonio Brown has 3 years left on contract.

No. The way the franchise tag works, the player's salary is on the books even if he doesn't sign his agreement. So while the Steelers never paid him, the $14.5 million he would have received was on their books all of 2018 (they operated with $14.5 million less space then they could have if they rescinded the tag). 

What this means is they will GAIN an additional $14.5 million credit this year because Le'Veon never signed. So they will be operating with a surplus of $14.5 million. Meaning if they adhere the net-loss theory, trading Antionio Brown would be a net-loss of $6.5 million in cap space as opposed to $21 million. 

2 hours ago, jetfan8178 said:

I think hes better all around, and the incident I feel wasn't near as bad as they made it out to be. Not even comparable with Ray Rice.

If this is about Hunt, agreed on all accounts.

Edited by jetjuice
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

No. The way the franchise tag works, the player's salary is on the books even if he doesn't sign his agreement. So while the Steelers never paid him, the $14.5 million he would have received was on their books all of 2018 (they operated with $14.5 million less space then they could have if they rescinded the tag). 

What this means is they will GAIN an additional $14.5 million credit this year because Le'Veon never signed. So they will be operating with a surplus of $14.5 million. Meaning if they adhere the net-loss theory, trading Antionio Brown would be a net-loss of $6.5 million in cap space as opposed to $21 million. 

I was under the impression that Steelers' carryover from 2018 already included Bell's unspent 14.5m. As for between Bell and Brown, the net of yours is logically correct but as for Steelers' 2019 salary cap, they won't get extra 14.5m in relief after the projected 2018 carryover being included in the math. 

I tried to find information about November 13 deadline that affected Steelers' 2018 cap space.  I only saw one information that claimed 14.5m was already included in carryover for 2019.