2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

I’m taking the Edge over the DT, simply because it’s a bigger need and we haven’t had much luck. Leonard Williams was the elite can’t miss best player in that draft and while a good player that’s obviously not what he is.

i do prefer Oliver over Q though 

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

I’m taking the Edge over the DT, simply because it’s a bigger need and we haven’t had much luck. Leonard Williams was the elite can’t miss best player in that draft and while a good player that’s obviously not what he is.

I will never get liking Oliver over Q.  Oliver is a stud but Q is next level.  I think he is twice the prospect Leo was coming out.

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

What is the massive difference between Allen and Burns?  Allen is bigger, better in coverage, potentially better first step off the line.  Burns had slightly better athleticism numbers, is a much more polished pass rusher, is a bit longer...  I think Allen might have the slight edge in ceiling but i think Burns has a big edge in floor.  

I mean you outlined the difference. But I’m not even talking about the difference between those two. There are Elite interior DL who by far better prospects than Burns. And we’ll pass on them? I hate it. 

22 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I’ll take Burns, a guy the 2nd,  whatever else gets thrown in, and a 2020 top 10 pick over anything we could find this draft. Next years OT class is STACKED. 

If it’s stacked we can add an OT at some point in Round 1. The Center class also looks good. Sounds like a Ferguson/Mangold draft for me. 

I think we as fans fall in love with having a plethora of picks. I just want the best talents available on the team and I wanna give our coaches guys they can work with. I don’t even see the fit for Burns in Williams Defense.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I mean you outlined the difference. But I’m not even talking about the difference between those two. There are Elite interior DL who by far better prospects than Burns. And we’ll pass on them? I hate it. 

Oh for sure i love Q and i also do like Oliver, but If we get a 2nd rounder and a 1st next year i have no problem passing.  Accruing future early picks is how you get the ball rolling to being a good drafting team.

5 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

We can do this with every one. 

Burns is Mingo

Allen is Leonard Floyd

Leo has been good for us, I’d love to pair him with Oliver. 

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

If it’s stacked we can add an OT at some point in Round 1. The Center class also looks good. Sounds like a Ferguson/Mangold draft for me. 

I think we as fans fall in love with having a plethora of picks. I just want the best talents available on the team and I wanna give our coaches guys they can work with. I don’t even see the fit for Burns in Williams Defense.

Just because someone seems like the best talent right now picks miss.  No one takes a player early thinking they are crappy.  Having multiple early picks is massive... it is a big part of the reason we haven't had a team with deep talent..... ever.  And it is a big reason that the Pats are good.  

5 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Oh for sure i love Q and i also do like Oliver, but If we get a 2nd rounder and a 1st next year i have no problem passing.  Accruing future early picks is how you get the ball rolling to being a good drafting team.

I think the reason I don’t feel bad about not having a 2 is the reason why we don’t which is Darnold. 

Lets put it this way would you rather have 

Darnold 

or 

Josh Allen(QB), Braden Smith(OG), Dallas Goedert(TE) and this years 34th overall. 

Those are the guys picked with our 2nd rounders last year plus the QB we probably take at 6 and this years 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Just because someone seems like the best talent right now picks miss.  No one takes a player early thinking they are crappy.  Having multiple early picks is massive... it is a big part of the reason we haven't had a team with deep talent..... ever.  And it is a big reason that the Pats are good.  

We had multiple early picks before and got Milliner, Richardson and Geno. Looking back I would have packaged those picks for Lane Johnson if possible. 

Giants wanted a 1, 2 and 4 for us to go grab Tunsil and we said no. Those picks turned to Lee, Hack and Burris. 

It works both ways honestly. 

I think the reason I don’t feel bad about not having a 2 is the reason why we don’t which is Darnold. 

Lets put it this way would you rather have 

Darnold 

or 

Josh Allen(QB), Braden Smith(OG), Dallas Goedert(TE) and this years 34th overall. 

Those are the guys picked with our 2nd rounders last year plus the QB we probably take at 6 and this years 2nd. 

I mean i am fine with trading the pick for Darnold 100%, but it doesn't mean i don't want to recoup it.

We had multiple early picks before and got Milliner, Richardson and Geno. Looking back I would have packaged those picks for Lane Johnson if possible. 

Giants wanted a 1, 2 and 4 for us to go grab Tunsil and we said no. Those picks turned to Lee, Hack and Burris. 

It works both ways honestly. 

I think it is easy to find examples of both sides, but i think it is going to be tough to convince me that accruing picks isn't the overall best way to proceed as an NFL team.  And by a wide margin.  

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

I think it is easy to find examples of both sides, but i think it is going to be tough to convince me that accruing picks isn't the overall best way to proceed as an NFL team.  And by a wide margin.  

I mean can you provide multiple examples?

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I mean can you provide multiple examples?

Of teams trading back and doing well?  I am sure... It is obvious enough that it has happened more than once that i am not going to waste my time looking up a myriad of examples.  You get more young players on rookie deals, more swings at the plate.  Each round has it's own percentage of players that "hit".  That percentage goes down each round but not enough to warrant trading them all away to go up constantly.  Clearly i am not advocating just trading back constantly and owning the entire 6th round, but more picks just equals more swings at the plate.  

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

Given my choice between the 2 I'd probably shade towards Allen, but i have no trouble conceiving of a world where Burns is the better player, and even less trouble conceiving of him ending up being a far far better value relative to draft position.  For a guy that basically ran a 4.53 at 250 and did well at everything else, AND has potentially the larges arsenal of pass rush moves he is sure being slept on a bit by some.

Your last sentence is part of the reason I’m a big fan. The guy can beat tackles in so many ways. I don’t recall many prospects being this advanced from a skill perspective. Allen and Burns are close. I feel like Allen is the safer pick. I would be shocked if Allen is a bust because he can contribute in different ways. In terms of pass rushing though, Burns has the higher upside. He’s the better athlete and already has a more advanced skill set. But he has a lower floor for sure. 

Archived