2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

6 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Of teams trading back and doing well?  I am sure... It is obvious enough that it has happened more than once that i am not going to waste my time looking up a myriad of examples.  You get more young players on rookie deals, more swings at the plate.  Each round has it's own percentage of players that "hit".  That percentage goes down each round but not enough to warrant trading them all away to go up constantly.  Clearly i am not advocating just trading back constantly and owning the entire 6th round, but more picks just equals more swings at the plate.  

I'm not saying trade up, I'm saying I dont like moving from a spot to grab an Elite talent for a few guys with less upside and more holes in their game. 

30 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I'm not saying trade up, I'm saying I dont like moving from a spot to grab an Elite talent for a few guys with less upside and more holes in their game. 

I agree.  That is why you have to get a haul if you trade back from the 3 if not 5 or 10.  If the Jets trade back I hope it is not past 10. 

33 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Have you seen the list of recent #3 draft picks?  Darnold... obviously, Solomon Thomas has been so so, Bosa has been good when on the field, Fowler, Bortles, Dion Jordan, Trent Richardson, Marcel Dareus, Gerald McCoy good player not a super star but very good, Tyson Jackson, Matt Ryan good clearly, Joe Thomas HOFer, Vince Young, Braylon Edwards.... out of 13 guys there (not counting Darnold as his story really isn't written yet), i'd be happy with..... 4 of them?  

Random choice here lets say we trade back with the Giants and get #17  Derwin looks really good so far, Jonathon Allen playing really well, Keanu Neal really good before injury, Arik Armstead meh, CJ Mosley he better be good, Jarvis Jones rubbish, Dre Kirkpatrick meh, Nate Solder pretty good LT, Mike Iupati was really good till injuries ruined him, Josh Freeman arg, Gosder Cherilus good player, Jarvis Moss no idea who this is, Chad Greenway he was ok.... out of these 13 i'd be ok with maybe 5 or 6 of them.... 

Clearly the 3rd pick is better than the 17th objectively, just saying that just because you have the #3 pick doesn't mean you are getting elite talent.  

32 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Have you seen the list of recent #3 draft picks?  Darnold... obviously, Solomon Thomas has been so so, Bosa has been good when on the field, Fowler, Bortles, Dion Jordan, Trent Richardson, Marcel Dareus, Gerald McCoy good player not a super star but very good, Tyson Jackson, Matt Ryan good clearly, Joe Thomas HOFer, Vince Young, Braylon Edwards.... out of 13 guys there (not counting Darnold as his story really isn't written yet), i'd be happy with..... 4 of them?  

Random choice here lets say we trade back with the Giants and get #17  Derwin looks really good so far, Jonathon Allen playing really well, Keanu Neal really good before injury, Arik Armstead meh, CJ Mosley he better be good, Jarvis Jones rubbish, Dre Kirkpatrick meh, Nate Solder pretty good LT, Mike Iupati was really good till injuries ruined him, Josh Freeman arg, Gosder Cherilus good player, Jarvis Moss no idea who this is, Chad Greenway he was ok.... out of these 13 i'd be ok with maybe 5 or 6 of them.... 

Clearly the 3rd pick is better than the 17th objectively, just saying that just because you have the #3 pick doesn't mean you are getting elite talent.  

What about the guys who've been available at 3? Just because a team makes the wrong pick doesn't mean we should avoid picking there.

Macc has also shown an inability to pick good players outside the top 6. His strength is the obvious choices and a couple mid round guys. We chose Darron Lee, good player over Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack and Deion Jones.

Again all these things go both ways but we have a chance at an Elite defender and we're giving that up for depth?

I never thought this would be a hard sell that more picks are better.  There is a reason damn near every team is constantly looking to trade back.  If it were up to me i would trade back every year unless there was a specific player we needed and BPA lined up, like Sam.

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I feel like we’re trying to plug every hole in one shot as fans and it’s unrealistic. Every team has weaknesses and we need Elite talent on rookie deals. 

Obviously it’s not doable. No team is complete ever. So it’s very unrealistic. But there’s certainly positions that this team needs more than others, that’s are crucial for our team to develop. An edge rusher and OL are the two that stick out to me.

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I never thought this would be a hard sell that more picks are better.  There is a reason damn near every team is constantly looking to trade back.  If it were up to me i would trade back every year unless there was a specific player we needed and BPA lined up, like Sam.

It depends on compensation though and who is available when your on the clock and your rating/evaluation as to who you will pass up for the trade.  I would not agree with trading back just to trade back however.  

I will say this.... latest rumor of Arizona taking Bosa may significantly change our ability to get a haul for #3.  Say it goes Bosa then Q.  You'd have to think some team would like a shot at Kyler. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Obviously it’s not doable. No team is complete ever. So it’s very unrealistic. But there’s certainly positions that this team needs more than others, that’s are crucial for our team to develop. An edge rusher and OL are the two that stick out to me.

True but this is essentially year 1 of the regime. I know we want to compete right away but it's not entirely possible. Even if we draft an EDGE and Center doesn't 1. they'll play or 2. be any good. Same for staying at 3 and taking the Elite DT but its more plausible to believe they'll contribute as has been the case for our last 3 top 6 picks.

1 minute ago, JetsFan15 said:

It depends on compensation though and who is available when your on the clock and your rating/evaluation as to who you will pass up for the trade.  I would not agree with trading back just to trade back however.  

I will say this.... latest rumor of Arizona taking Bosa may significantly change our ability to get a haul for #3.  Say it goes Bosa then Q.  You'd have to think some team would like a shot at Kyler. 

That would be huge for us.

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

We want QUALITY not Quantity.  Mac has been shopping our #3 pick but no team in the NFL has made any kind of offer. I just don't trust Macc's drafting, once you get passed the first round. Any body could make first round picks, that doesn't take any talent, but the later rounds do.

13 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

We want QUALITY not Quantity.  Mac has been shopping our #3 pick but no team in the NFL has made any kind of offer. I just don't trust Macc's drafting, once you get passed the first round. Any body could make first round picks, that doesn't take any talent, but the later rounds do.

Not uncommon to not have a taker until you’re on the clock. Most the times teams are trading up for 1 player. So no sense of trading up and that player winds up not there. Our trade last year was rare. Clearly we liked 3 QBs and that’s why we were ok with it

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

Even more this year where there aren’t players who are clearly the top players. There’s a reason why Macc is probably finding it hard to trade back. Teams are likely content just sitting back and taking a player knowing the guy they get between 10-15 can be as productive as the guy picked 1-5.

15 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Even more this year where there aren’t players who are clearly the top players. There’s a reason why Macc is probably finding it hard to trade back. Teams are likely content just sitting back and taking a player knowing the guy they get between 10-15 can be as productive as the guy picked 1-5.

In most recent years the only teams who have moved up have gone up for QBs. 

Jets, Cardinals, Texans, Chiefs, Eagles, etc.. 

then once guys begin slipping teams in the late 20s have moved up for guys. 

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not uncommon to not have a taker until you’re on the clock. Most the times teams are trading up for 1 player. So no sense of trading up and that player winds up not there. Our trade last year was rare. Clearly we liked 3 QBs and that’s why we were ok with it

Normally that is very true, but this is a strange year, last year we had four QB's go in the first ten picks. I just can't see the Giants giving away the store to move up three spots. But after their move last month of trading OBJ. you never no what they are going to do. We all know this years draft was going to be very painful for us but that was the only way we were getting Darnold. After we pick at three 65 players will come off the board before we pick again. If we get a top pass rusher at three we all should be happy.

Archived