2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

IMO, the main focus for Douglas the rest of this off season should be to improve the OL so that Darnold and Bell can flourish. If Q is the disruptive force we think he can be and Polite at least shows he can make an impact as a situational pass rusher, I think our secondary can at least be decent. 

I'm sure we will be in on the Center market when cuts happen as well as CB and maybe even a 4th WR.

I still think we sign a few vets to fill the camp. Guys I want to see on the team.

John Sullivan  C

Morris Claiborne  CB

Micheal Crabtree WR

Nick Perry Edge

Eric Berry S 

I think by adding a few vets like this to a very young team would be huge for us. Berry and Maye can swap in and out because both struggle to stay healthy. Claiborne and fight with Pool for the #2 CB spot. Perry can maybe come in as a pass rusher. Crabtree would be a nice get too with his hands and his nose for the end zone. Sullivan would be the best add in my opinion. I think he still has 1 or 2 years left in the tank to be average or above average center. He is very smart and can handle all the communication on the line. 

• Like 1

I'm happy we brought back Powell to compete. Personally, I'm getting rid of Cannon/trying to stash him on the PS and rolling out all four of Bell-Powell-Montgomery-McGuire on game days. Look at the Patriots offense last year and how they utilized their backs; that's what I want to see. I think it's very important we manage Bell's reps to get the most out of him not only this year, but next year as well. If I'm the Jets, I want to run him into the ground in 2020 with the intent of making a super bowl run. Need him to stay fresh and healthy this year, then use next offseason to bolster the OL and add some talent at receiver. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm happy we brought back Powell to compete. Personally, I'm getting rid of Cannon/trying to stash him on the PS and rolling out all four of Bell-Powell-Montgomery-McGuire on game days. Look at the Patriots offense last year and how they utilized their backs; that's what I want to see. I think it's very important we manage Bell's reps to get the most out of him not only this year, but next year as well. If I'm the Jets, I want to run him into the ground in 2020 with the intent of making a super bowl run. Need him to stay fresh and healthy this year, then use next offseason to bolster the OL and add some talent at receiver. 

What I like about it beyond these points is that it truly does give us a 4th WR (which I was worried about). Anyone of those 4 (mainly just Bell, Powell and Montgomery) can line up at WR too.

I think you guys over rate Powell and McGuire. Neither guy is anything special and are just average at best. Powell is coming off a neck injury so I don't expect much out him. I think Powell gets cut in camp. I also don't understand the save Bell situation. The guy had a whole year off with no carries. He is as fresh as can be. He can be a work horse for the next 3 years no problem. I would run him into the ground unless Darnold steps up and shows he can win with his arm taking some carries away from Bell. 

11 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't think Powell makes the cut. I look at it like this Bell, Ty Mont, Cannon, McGuire. 

It's going to be an interesting battle. Sounds like Boyer loves Cannon. I'm thinking Bell, Ty, and Cannon are locks. We can carry 4 RBs meaning that 4th spot is between McGuire and Powell. That's going to be a tough decision. Powell brings a veteran presence to the team. McGuire has potential on his side. It's going to be close.