The Offseason Thread (News and Notes)

.Buzz

11 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Fairly confident LF won’t be on the team next year. Seems like they are fed up with him.

The fact Coughlin called him out for Sunday and then it comes out his GTD money got voided, that should seal the deal. Maybe Mayock is still high on him?

As for QB, I feel like they will go after Foles/Flacco.

Moronic that the entire staff who drafted Fournette that high in the first place, could ostensibly jettison him before the end of his rookie contract and survive it.  Like...literally insane stupidity.

But it does look more and more like that might be something they're considering.

To take one of the best offensive players on this ghastly offense and trade or release them because of scapegoating, would be absolutely infuriating.  Fournette is one of the few actually competent players at a position on this terrible offense.  Don't replace him...fix the other **** plz.  The actual passing game, i'd like to see one actually.  Get an OLine in place who can sustain more than an injury or two before completely imploding.  etc.  Keep the good RB you overdrafted...he's one of the few actually standout players you might have there.

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Kinda surprised the Colts are somehow Top-10 in both metrics.  Makes me wonder how good the metric actually is...but the rest of it seems to pretty much check out.

Also kinda have to take that and look at just how badly our offense sabotaged our potential this year, and just weep.  I'm kinda iffy on how that's calculated on "age"...because a handful of key pieces to our good defense aren't actually that young.  But in any case, i think it highlights the idea that if we can somehow field an offense that isn't thoroughly embarrassing next year...we could see a bigtime turnaround again.  If the defense can hold up through what seem like bigger age-related concerns (and cap along with that obviously) than that infographic makes it look.

Alright, I've soured on Foles a decent bit. I thought he was older than he was.

If we sign him, it's going to be for 3-5 years at $20-$25M. He'd be our guy for the next several years barring him flopping and than wed be right back in the position we're in now but worse.

I like the guy and think he's solid, but I much prefer the idea of drafting and hoping we hit. If we sign Foles there's no high round rookie, and there probably isn't one next year either. So I guess it just depends which you prefer to do.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Alright, I've soured on Foles a decent bit. I thought he was older than he was.

If we sign him, it's going to be for 3-5 years at $20-$25M. He'd be our guy for the next several years barring him flopping and than wed be right back in the position we're in now but worse.

I like the guy and think he's solid, but I much prefer the idea of drafting and hoping we hit. If we sign Foles there's no high round rookie, and there probably isn't one next year either. So I guess it just depends which you prefer to do.

Committing to Foles feels like the sort of thing the Broncos did with Keenum.  ie.  Not great, and kinda handcuffing.

Not only is he older, and probably going to be looking for a deal to cash out on...I just don't see him as being all that different from some of the other less "hyped" game manager vet types.  You'll have to run a different sort of offense with him...but it's the same overall deal, in that you're basically building an offense to massively insulate him in particular ways.  If he's going to command the sort of contract you give a guy you more build an offense around...rather than the type of guy you build an offense to insulate which is what he actually is...i'd be out of that game altogether.

Just isn't the type of guy i think you tie your fortunes to for that kind of money, and that kind of term.  Go with a Tyrod or Teddy instead, and spend whatever spare money on more weapons.  IMO...better Weapons + Support > whatever marginal performance "ceiling" premium i see with Foles over those type of guys.  We've seen Foles without the right system, and without the weapons he needs.  It's not good.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2019 at 6:04 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea and Jack won't be cheap either

jacks the most replaceable of the 3 guys needing the extensions that are under contract. 

he didnt seem great at MLB so i think he plugs in at wlb but thats telvins spot so unless we are getting rid of telvin next year and gambling jack will be better then telvin i think we can let him go. 

1 hour ago, LinderFournette said:

jacks the most replaceable of the 3 guys needing the extensions that are under contract. 

he didnt seem great at MLB so i think he plugs in at wlb but thats telvins spot so unless we are getting rid of telvin next year and gambling jack will be better then telvin i think we can let him go. 

I think Telvin is going to have to have a hell of a season to be a Jag beyond next season.

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Yea I understand letting him walk is possible if it means we keep the other 2 but Telvin would have to improve after a poor 2018 season