The Offseason Thread (News and Notes)

.Buzz

To me Foles just seems like another temporary bandaid that the Jags have continued to give us.. this team has never had a legit franchise QB that they’ve drafted ever. This team continues to place mediocrity at the helm year after year and Foles is more of the same. Paying Foles 20 mill a year to play with Cole, Westbrook, Lee and Chark 🤨. Smells like disaster to me and I don’t want any parts of it. 

6 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

To me Foles just seems like another temporary bandaid that the Jags have continued to give us.. this team has never had a legit franchise QB that they’ve drafted ever. This team continues to place mediocrity at the helm year after year and Foles is more of the same. Paying Foles 20 mill a year to play with Cole, Westbrook, Lee and Chark 🤨. Smells like disaster to me and I don’t want any parts of it. 

We'd probably be drafting Metcalf/Hock in a scenario that we didn't go QB.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

We'd probably be drafting Metcalf/Hock in a scenario that we didn't go QB.

Who was the last WR/TE to have a standout rookie season? Thats still not fixing the issue you're basically depending on a rookie skill player to come in and take pressure off Foles? How confident can you be in a possible outcome of that particular scenario? I'm not too confident in a rookie skill player coming into the league with this WR/TE room and say Foles is going to make this offense look any better than its looked over the past 5 seasons. I don't care if you have Foles and Hock I don't see the Jags winning more than 7 games next year.  

Edited by DuvalsKing

2 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Who was the last WR/TE to have a standout rookie season? Thats still not fixing the issue you're basically depending on a rookie skill player to come in and take pressure off Foles? How confident can you be in a possible outcome of that particular scenario? I'm not too confident in a rookie skill player coming into the league with this WR/TE room and say Foles is going to make this offense look any better than its looked over the past 5 seasons. I don't care if you have Foles and Hock I don't see the Jags winning more than 7 games next year.  

I mean just to name a couple off the top of my head are Michael Thomas and Juju the past couple years.

I'm not saying they'd turn everything around, but Dede flashed massive potential. Not his fault he had a bottom 5-8 QB throwing him the ball. Chark also has potential, and although I'm not a huge Lee fan he's a solid WR.

Add a guy like Hock/Metcalf to go with solid QB play and who knows.

10 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

I mean, that's kind of the suboptimal situation we're in.  Whichever route we take...we need a rookie to come in and kickstart this offense.

A premium skill position rookie might not be enough to help a guy like Foles take us anywhere.  But our WR/TE group isn't the sort that a rookie QB is going to have much fun with either.  Who is the last rookie QB to come in and set the world on fire, leading a team to the playoffs with such lackluster weapons?  I think that's just as much a likely stumbling block as expecting a rookie skill player to come in and contribute as a top target, if not more so.

The way i see it...at least with a decent veteran QB and top skill position added, you have a shot at something if the skill guy adapts quickly.  And if it does still suck, worst case...you do still have that shiny new skill player to reload for 2020 where they won't be a rookie anymore.  Which means you're at least parachuting a 2020 rookie QB into a better situation with a premium weapon in place and that "learning year" already under their belt.

But realistically, we are probably screwed for 2019 either way...unless a rookie steps in and adds a ton of value to our offense.  I just lean toward thinking a skill position guy is more likely to do that than a rookie QB who has so much more to get a handle on than any other position.  Especially a 1-year starter in college type QB.

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Glad we have picked up Calais Campbells option

Honestly kinda seemed like a foregone conclusion that we would.  But nice nonetheless.  He's getting older, but he's still a critical part of our defense and one of our best players.

The question now i think, is going to be whether any sort of restructuring goes on there to massage the cap number a bit.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Honestly kinda seemed like a foregone conclusion that we would.  But nice nonetheless.  He's getting older, but he's still a critical part of our defense and one of our best players.

The question now i think, is going to be whether any sort of restructuring goes on there to massage the cap number a bit.

It seemed that way but i feel like nothing is a guarantee anymore

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, that's kind of the suboptimal situation we're in.  Whichever route we take...we need a rookie to come in and kickstart this offense.

A premium skill position rookie might not be enough to help a guy like Foles take us anywhere.  But our WR/TE group isn't the sort that a rookie QB is going to have much fun with either.  Who is the last rookie QB to come in and set the world on fire, leading a team to the playoffs with such lackluster weapons?  I think that's just as much a likely stumbling block as expecting a rookie skill player to come in and contribute as a top target, if not more so.

The way i see it...at least with a decent veteran QB and top skill position added, you have a shot at something if the skill guy adapts quickly.  And if it does still suck, worst case...you do still have that shiny new skill player to reload for 2020 where they won't be a rookie anymore.  Which means you're at least parachuting a 2020 rookie QB into a better situation with a premium weapon in place and that "learning year" already under their belt.

But realistically, we are probably screwed for 2019 either way...unless a rookie steps in and adds a ton of value to our offense.  I just lean toward thinking a skill position guy is more likely to do that than a rookie QB who has so much more to get a handle on than any other position.  Especially a 1-year starter in college type QB.

Honestly i'm not expecting the Jags to make the playoffs next year so i'm cool with sucking next year with the hopes of a new regime taking over in 2020 and a rookie QB stinking it up his first yr. I just want to get the ball rolling with a new face of the franchise and we'll see what happens in 2020. But what I don't want is to become the John Elway ran Broncos picking up scrap heap QBs every 1-2 yrs. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

8 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I’d rather spend a 1st+2nd on Haskins than 20m to Foles

There has been a little rumbling about how the collective bargaining agreement discourages franchising a player with the purpose of trading them and as the Eagles are currently constructed cap wise it doesn't seem logical its similar to how the redskins were tap dancing in relations to possibly franchising Cousin's. People are saying that the Jags would probably come out benefitting with paying Foles 20 mill a year for a 1 year deal and see what he does for the year and than you'd retain his rights but I'm like you i'm just not with it.

Bills gave up 3 picks last year to move from like 12 to 7 for Allen they gave up picks (12,53,56) ,, so to move from 7 into the top 4 is going to cost more than a 1st and 2nd more than likely. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Honestly i'm not expecting the Jags to make the playoffs next year so i'm cool with sucking next year with the hopes of a new regime taking over in 2020 and a rookie QB stinking it up his first yr. I just want to get the ball rolling with a new face of the franchise and we'll see what happens in 2020. But what I don't want is to become the John Elway ran Broncos picking up scrap heap QBs every 1-2 yrs. 

I don't think trying out a "stopgap" veteran this one time automatically means sliding into a perpetual recycling of old vets like Elway.  You can do the veteran QB thing for a year or two and see how it goes, and then go into a different mode where you draft your guy and start to rebuild around them after that.  Heck, you can even draft a guy a bit later and let them develop and hope you strike gold.  You don't have to get locked into one vet after the other unless you want to.

I just think it'd be a darn shame to throw in the towel on 2019 season already.  We've still got this potentially awesome defense, and imo it'd be stupid to let it go to waste by not at least trying to see if we can replicate a bit of that successful 2017 formula with some decent Quarterbacking (from somewhere), lots of running, and a stout defense.

Like, we've probably only got a year left, two at most before this defense completely implodes/gets blown up and needs to be pretty much completely rebuilt around a couple very expensive core guys.  Between key players aging out and the salary cap implications of guys coming off rookie deals, it's going to be a pretty substantial rebuilding project on defense in the not too distant future.

They already squandered the opportunity of 2018 with an outrageously failed QB plan.  Why not try to at least take a last shot with it for 2019 before giving up on it and accepting awfulness again?  There'll still be plenty of time to suck later.