The Offseason Thread (News and Notes)

.Buzz

15 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That's fine.  I'm sure Lee will be injured against before mid-season anyway.  Take 'er easy Qise.

I think people really overlook how much of our "great defense" was built via FA rather than the draft.  Campbell, Malik, Gipson, Bouye were all key pieces...all brought in via huge money overpay FA deals.  Sure, a lot of them have reasonably easy "outs" in terms of dead money...but you've still gotta replace a handful of your best players on your stout defense somehow.  For cheap.

I dont think that was ever overlooked. Everyone knew that defense had a window. But it was supposed to have a supplement of young guys in the core too: Jalen,Yann, Jack, Fowler. 

Bouye and Gipson aren't old either and SHOULD have lasted at least  2020 before we have to replace them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 8:56 PM, .Buzz said:

I watched probably a grand total of one total game (pieced together from 20 minutes here and there from different games) of AAF...but it's cool to see it's done what it was supposed to before folding.  Getting some of these guys a chance to put themselves in the spotlight and prove they can play.

I'll be really curious to see how many of these ~30 or so AAF signings actually manage to make it through camp and crack an NFL roster in the fall.  But all those guys were looking for was a chance, and it seems to have garnered a decent number of them that opportunity.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I watched probably a grand total of one total game (pieced together from 20 minutes here and there from different games) of AAF...but it's cool to see it's done what it was supposed to before folding.  Getting some of these guys a chance to put themselves in the spotlight and prove they can play.

I'll be really curious to see how many of these ~30 or so AAF signings actually manage to make it through camp and crack an NFL roster in the fall.  But all those guys were looking for was a chance, and it seems to have garnered a decent number of them that opportunity.

That is cool but the whole losing insurance thing sucks. Aren’t you supposed to keep that for a while? I guess if they fold there’s no money for it

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard a interview from Cedric Ogbuehi it sounds like he is pretty confident that he'll be the starting RT, he said they've told him the best 5 lineman will play and he feels like when the dust settles he'll be there. He seems to think his struggles with the Bengals came from playing out of position. Guess we'll find out he said he trains with Parnell and Cam in the offseason.

3 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Just heard a interview from Cedric Ogbuehi it sounds like he is pretty confident that he'll be the starting RT, he said they've told him the best 5 lineman will play and he feels like when the dust settles he'll be there. He seems to think his struggles with the Bengals came from playing out of position. Guess we'll find out he said he trains with Parnell and Cam in the offseason.

Awkward considering he basically took Parnells spot

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Awkward considering he basically took Parnells spot

Not really he said Parnell actually told him what to expect. He told him to be prepared to work your butt off if he wanted to succeed. He said he also gave him tips on where to go in the city.

Edited by DuvalsKing

12 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We signed three LB's today.

A lot of 3-4 looks?

Telvin?

Hmm...

i think its about getting our Lb depth in order. been far too long since weve had good depth at LBer not to mention the Telvin smith MIA thing. 

its also worth noting that all 3 are special team guys.  DJ alexander and Goode are career Special team guys and wilson is just a depth guy and can play some special teams. 

Edited by LinderFournette