The Offseason Thread (News and Notes)

.Buzz

7 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Without listening to the podcast, yeah...pretty much.  Just ditching ASJ today has us pretty much back in the black already, and whenever they get around to cutting Hyde, we'll be a few million under.  Firing Bortles into the sun (post June 1st probably) then clears up enough space to comfortably sign our projected rookie pool.  A mild restructure on Calais and probably cutting one of Malik/Dareus gives us like $10M of maneuvering room to not sweat things too bad.  It's not what we're used to as Jaguars fans having all the cap space in the world every year...but teams run tight to the cap every year and it's not a big deal.

Things get a little more complicated if they need to clear $20M+ for a QB, but it's still plenty achievable if they get a little more aggressive with cuts or other moves.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Depends on what a "decent-sized" contract is exactly, but i'd be down for Jesse James.  He's not the most amazing TE, but he's a good reliable option who would probably be a good fit for what we tend to use them for here.  Pair him up with someone out of the draft and some assorted depth, i think you're looking alright there.

If Buffalo are in on him though, it's gonna be tough to land him.  They probably need pieces on offense even more than we do, and they've got the cap space to comfortably outbid us wherever it goes.  Probably would have to come down to James specifically choosing to come to the Jaguars over the Bills, regardless of the money.  Which is possible, but a tougher sell if he doesn't even know who the QB tossing him the ball is going to be.

53 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I’m terrified of what that contract is. We gave ASJ too much and i bet James will want similar 

I don't know that ASJ's contract would've been that bad if he'd stayed healthy and actually played.  For 2018 at least.  $3M and change would've been very reasonable if he'd stayed healthy and had the kind of season he had in 2017.  The deal was always structured such that he'd have had to have a really big 2018 season to "earn" that 2019 cap number, which was pretty excessive imo.  But on balance, it wasn't a catastrophic contract or anything.  Just ended up being that the 2019 component wasn't worth it, but wasn't that bad to walk away from.

Jesse James is a bit more of a "known commodity" though.  You kinda know what you're gonna get there, more so than with ASJ who was a bit of a wildcard/gamble.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Spend money where  you dont think you can get it in the draft. TE is so strong, dont overpay for an average TE

What else are you gonna spend on though?  The FA WR group isn't even full of "average" guys.  It's just like...Golden Tate and a bunch of below average depth guys.

A very "average" TE would be a pretty big upgrade from what we've had the last few years tbh.  And you can always still grab a guy in the draft too...where it tends to take TEs at least a year to get their legs under them in the NFL anyway.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

What else are you gonna spend on though?  The FA WR group isn't even full of "average" guys.  It's just like...Golden Tate and a bunch of below average depth guys.

A very "average" TE would be a pretty big upgrade from what we've had the last few years tbh.  And you can always still grab a guy in the draft too...where it tends to take TEs at least a year to get their legs under them in the NFL anyway.

tyrell williams isnt an average wr.  

36 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

He's the pretty much the main thing that makes sense

Obv Giants got first dibs on a QB. Would you rather give us a 3rd and 6th according to value chart to swap 4 and 7 or give us Leonard Fournette straight up to swap? I really think Fournette could benefit from change of scenery.

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Obv Giants got first dibs on a QB. Would you rather give us a 3rd and 6th according to value chart to swap 4 and 7 or give us Leonard Fournette straight up to swap? I really think Fournette could benefit from change of scenery.

Personally, I would. But I'll be in the minority in that.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Really? Seems like the NFL hates Fournette, maybe not Jag fans I suppose.

I think there's a fear in losing that 4th pick value spent on Fournette. I think there's quite a lot who also think he's an elite runner.  There's also a number who will be on the extreme (check Twitter on those who thinks he's trash).

I don't think ff forums draft board was overly high on Fournette. But the outside draftniks were, and i think many are still going to hold to that evaluation and thus wouldn't give him up. 

I think he's replaceable in a more diverse offense, especially if we are no longer saddled by a Bortles or Kessler.

And with this team needing to cut guys to free some cap space (and eventually replace aging vets and resign our young guys), I rather continue stockpiling youth on this team.