The Offseason Thread (News and Notes)

.Buzz

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Missed this earlier somehow.

I wish we knew whether this was being played out because there's actually truth/legs to it or because we hired DeFlippo and are a team people think just need average QB play to go back to being a legit contender.

I'd be fine with Foles as I've stated, but I would very much prefer Haskins/Murray and possibly Lock as our route to take. 

I think most of it is probably driven by just looking at the QB needy market, and recognizing we're probably the best fit for Foles.  And then connecting the DeFilippo dots on top of that.

If you look at the QB needy market right now post-Flacco trade, it's basically: 

JAX: Dots connect nice.  We can realistically find the cap space to pay him decently.  A team on the cusp ready to compete right now only a year removed from AFC Championship game.

WAS: Similarly desperate for a QB in a win-now mode with literally nobody starter-capable on the roster, but there's no way they can afford to pay him with so much already tied up in Alex Smith.

NYG: Need a QB of the Future, but they've already got their own mediocre Vet in Eli.  Would be such a weird swap to ditch Eli only to pay another middling guy like Foles with a lot more risk.

MIA: Need a QB for the future, but also seem kinda content to just sign a filler guy and Tank for Tua or whatever.  Not to mention, if they're looking for a middling Vet guy to fill the gap...they've already got Tannehill.  So if they move on, that just puts another middling Vet out on the market.

Who else is even really in the market for a potential $20M gamble on a veteran starting QB right now?

OAK and ARI might be in the draft QB market if they don't like their respective guys in Carr and Rosen, but they're not really in the Foles market.  A few other teams probably take looks at guys in the draft.  But who else is even desperate for a serviceable veteran starter?  It's a weird year where it's almost a "buyers market" on QBs...especially when it comes to veterans.  There are just only so many spots that make sense.  And Jacksonville seems like a pretty mutual fit - need QB, have good team.

• Like 1

If the Giants are really set on not drafting QB in the 1st round and Haskins is there, we HAVE to go and take him even if we sign Foles.

Passing on a young future potential QB1 is never a good move unless you already have one. The rookie salary makes it easier to have him as a backup, which, oh yeah we have no backup should something happen with Foles (or he doesn't pan out).

I don't think this team can ring chase by going need vs bpa in this draft.

10 hours ago, Speedyg said:

If the Giants are really set on not drafting QB in the 1st round and Haskins is there, we HAVE to go and take him even if we sign Foles.

Passing on a young future potential QB1 is never a good move unless you already have one. The rookie salary makes it easier to have him as a backup, which, oh yeah we have no backup should something happen with Foles (or he doesn't pan out).

I don't think this team can ring chase by going need vs bpa in this draft.

I agree 100% but I just cant see it happening unless we get a very team-friendly deal with Foles and I bet he is gonna get Uber-paid 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I wouldn't say its dead. Any team that we think might be taking a QB ahead of us or want one at all in the draft still is a threat to us:

Redskins

Giants

Dolphins

Raiders

Gruden has already acknowledged on the podium at the combine that Carr is his guy now if thats just coach speak and he is planning on driving a stake through Carr's heart on draft day that remains to be seen. By signing Foles and drafting Murray. Raiders are potentially in ok shape with 3 first rounders I believe.. they want to get younger all the way around.

Redskins money is tight unless Alex Smith retires.

Dolphins are in tank mode.. looking towards 2020 for a QB.

Giants are not going to be suitor for Foles when they already have Eli. The Giants will more than likely take Haskin.. there would be no need for Foles.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Gruden has already acknowledged on the podium at the combine that Carr is his guy now if thats just coach speak and he is planning on driving a stake through Carr's heart on draft day that remains to be seen. By signing Foles and drafting Murray. Raiders are potentially in ok shape with 3 first rounders I believe.. they want to get younger all the way around.

Redskins money is tight unless Alex Smith retires.

Dolphins are in tank mode.. looking towards 2020 for a QB.

Giants are not going to be suitor for Foles when they already have Eli. The Giants will more than likely take Haskin.. there would be no need for Foles.

i will hope they look at Jones cuz hes been coached by the dude eli was taught by :)

35 minutes ago, skaterbirdhouse said:

Hopefully we can deal one/both of them in the next few days. I really like Jackson but unless he were to do an extreme restructuring of his contract he’s as good as gone.

The Jags won’t be able to get rid of Jackson via trade at that cap number unless they restructure his deal and if that’s the case where he’ll accept a restructure you might as well keep him.

Edited by DuvalsKing

2 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

The Jags won’t be able to get rid of Jackson via trade at that cap number unless they restructure his deal and if that’s the case where he’ll accept a restructure you might as well keep him.

I'd be surprised if anyone trading for either at those numbers but I'll take anything for either considering they seem like a lock to be cut at those numbers

I could see there potentially being a market for Malik Jackson.  He had a bit of a down year statistically i guess, but he's still a good, starter caliber DT.  And anybody trading for him would have an opportunity to do a bit of restructuring on his contract anyway.  Probably not worth much, but if someone wants to throw us a pick to guarantee they land his services rather than having to get into a FA bidding war they may lose...that'd be fine.  More picks is better for where we're at, needing to fill out a lot of spots and add depth all over the place, with what is probably going to be a fairly tight cap situation still.

Carlos Hyde on the other hand...lol.  The only idiots that would pay a draft pick for him, are the people in charge of our team probably.  In season, out of kneejerk desperation.  Even though they didn't bother to use him or anything.

14 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I could see there potentially being a market for Malik Jackson.  He had a bit of a down year statistically i guess, but he's still a good, starter caliber DT.  And anybody trading for him would have an opportunity to do a bit of restructuring on his contract anyway.  Probably not worth much, but if someone wants to throw us a pick to guarantee they land his services rather than having to get into a FA bidding war they may lose...that'd be fine.  More picks is better for where we're at, needing to fill out a lot of spots and add depth all over the place, with what is probably going to be a fairly tight cap situation still.

Carlos Hyde on the other hand...lol.  The only idiots that would pay a draft pick for him, are the people in charge of our team probably.  In season, out of kneejerk desperation.  Even though they didn't bother to use him or anything.

Yea it sucks we were so panicked at RB we traded for Hyde. I hope we can get something for Malik Jackson. I feel like several teams have loads of cap space, I wonder if we'd trade him to Indy?

if the cards do take murray i wonder what they will want for rosen if we cant land our savior Haskins.  saw something along the lines of maybe they get a 3rd for him.  i wouldnt mind giving up a 3rd for him.  surely cant be worse then bortles and while rosen was bad his OL was beyond bad and really has 2 guys at the skill positions to count on and 1 of them was in the doghouse for unknown reasons(david Johnson)

46 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

if the cards do take murray i wonder what they will want for rosen if we cant land our savior Haskins.  saw something along the lines of maybe they get a 3rd for him.  i wouldnt mind giving up a 3rd for him.  surely cant be worse then bortles and while rosen was bad his OL was beyond bad and really has 2 guys at the skill positions to count on and 1 of them was in the doghouse for unknown reasons(david Johnson)

I'm really torn on Rosen.  I liked him a fair bit in the draft.  But he really did just inflame all the concerns about him coming out, with his play as a rookie.  He looked every bit the guy who can completely fall apart when things get off schedule and don't go exactly as drawn up on the board.

It was an absolutely awful situation for someone with those sort of weaknesses to play as a rookie.  But man, it was bad.  I just really don't know.  If he really does come available at that sort of 3rd round price...it's potentially great value with "low risk" and a huge potential payoff.  But it's so much risk...i don't know that i'd want that to be the final shot i shoot if i'm the guy in Tom and Dave's shoes, needing to get this team back to the playoffs this year.