Jump to content
bspice

A Brown or L Bell?

Recommended Posts

Just now, jetjuice said:

T.O. is arguable, compared to Megatron he's obviously physically inferior but he cut his career short whereas Brown is still racking up stats. It'll be debatable when it's all said and done.

Megatron retired with 5 more games under his belt had 9 more TD's, 419 more yards, averaged 2.5 YPR despite inferior QB play. TO played a lot longer obviously, so it'll be hindsight, but i'd take him in his prime over AB in his prime personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Megatron retired with 5 more games under his belt had 9 more TD's, 419 more yards, averaged 2.5 YPR despite inferior QB play. TO played a lot longer obviously, so it'll be hindsight, but i'd take him in his prime over AB in his prime personally.

Fair enough, I personally don't have Brown there yet either but it will be arguable by the end of his career. I'm not trying to say he is without a doubt #2 all time, just saying he'll be up there, and he's still top 3 in the league today which is factual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d take Rice, Moss, TO, Megatron, Julio, and Larry over him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I’d take Rice, Moss, TO, Megatron, Julio, and Larry over him.

Ok let's say AB averages 6 catches a game, 1200 yards per year and 10 TD's a year for the next 5 years, which is 96 catches per season, 75 yards a game and 0.625 TD's a game, all reasonable expectations for how good he is/has been. That'll have him at 1317 receptions, 17,204 career receiving yards and 124 TD's, which will have him at 3rd all time for receptions, 2nd all time for yards, and 6th all time in TD's. Definitely in the conversation if he stays healthy.

I'd personally take Rice and Moss for sure. TO, Julio, and Larry are toss-ups but I'll say he ends up outdoing Fitz, he'll keep jousting with Julio over the next few years. I think Julio falls off before him because he relies more on athleticism and gets hurt a lot more. Megatron simply didn't do it long enough to be in there, but had he continued playing I'd probably take him. Again, I said ARGUABLY top 2 simply to emphasize how big of an addition he'd be for us. Would you be happier if I said top 5 instead? Same difference, still a great player.

Edited by jetjuice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Fair enough, I personally don't have Brown there yet either but it will be arguable by the end of his career. I'm not trying to say he is without a doubt #2 all time, just saying he'll be up there, and he's still top 3 in the league today which is factual.

I'd put him at 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, barnaby8787 said:

I'd put him at 3.

I would too. Love me some Julio & Hopkins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I’d take Rice, Moss, TO, Megatron, Julio, and Larry over him.

Forgot to mention Julio, but i'd take Julio over him also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think you can’t fairly compare today’s receivers, who playing in a passing league where they can’t be touched,  with guys that played before. Give me Art Monk, Chris Collins, Paul Walfield, Tim Brown, Lionel Altworth, Charlie Taylor, as well as aforementioned Moss, TO, Rice, Fitz and Calvin Johnson. Geez Marshall  and Andre Johnson spent most of their careers  playing for average or subpar QBs and still put up five 100 receptions seasons each. Don Hutson (who retired 6 years before I was born) led the league in receptions 8 of the 11 years he played. In 38 and 40 he was 2nd.  Including  him in a top 10 list would certainly be justified

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

I don’t think you can’t fairly compare today’s receivers, who playing in a passing league where they can’t be touched,  with guys that played before. Give me Art Monk, Chris Collins, Paul Walfield, Tim Brown, Lionel Altworth, Charlie Taylor, as well as aforementioned Moss, TO, Rice, Fitz and Calvin Johnson. Geez Marshall  and Andre Johnson spent most of their careers  playing for average or subpar QBs and still put up five 100 receptions seasons each. Don Hutson (who retired 6 years before I was born) led the league in receptions 8 of the 11 years he played. In 38 and 40 he was 2nd.  Including  him in a top 10 list would certainly be justified

 

Great post Rich, I have been trying to say the same thing on this board for years. When the NFL did away with the BUMP & RUN ( FOR YOU YOUNG GUYS WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BUMP & RUN WAS, YOU COULD HIT A RECEICER ALL PLAY LONG AS LONG AS THE BALL WAS NOT IN THE AIR )  it was much harder to get open. Another thing a QB being able to throw a ball away if he is out of the tackle box, years ago that was a no no, if there was not a receiver in the area it was intentional grounding. Guys like Wes Welker & Julian Edelman, would not be the players they are now, if they ran across the field 8 yards down field, they would have had their head taken off. This is not a knock against the receivers today, I am just sayings it was much harder to get open years ago. We can thank TV for this they insisted on higher scoring games, they are paying the bills so the NFL  went along with the new rules.

Rich, you could of added Raymond Berry & Lenny Moore to your list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Great post Rich, I have been trying to say the same thing on this board for years. When the NFL did away with the BUMP & RUN ( FOR YOU YOUNG GUYS WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BUMP & RUN WAS, YOU COULD HIT A RECEICER ALL PLAY LONG AS LONG AS THE BALL WAS NOT IN THE AIR )  it was much harder to get open. Another thing a QB being able to throw a ball away if he is out of the tackle box, years ago that was a no no, if there was not a receiver in the area it was intentional grounding. Guys like Wes Welker & Julian Edelman, would not be the players they are now, if they ran across the field 8 yards down field, they would have had their head taken off. This is not a knock against the receivers today, I am just sayings it was much harder to get open years ago. We can thank TV for this they insisted on higher scoring games, they are paying the bills so the NFL  went along with the new rules.

Rich, you could of added Raymond Berry & Lenny Moore to your list.

You’re right and since I’m a Jet fan probably Maynard, Sauer and Toon (both he and Chrebet suffered from a bunch of concussions going over the middle) if we took Rice and SF took Toon, Toon probably would be in the HOF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown is self destructive. Fighting with teammates, coaches, the QB, other players on twitter. Hes 31, makes decent money, and we have to give up a decent pick for him. THis would be a HORRIBLE move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ekill08x said:

Brown is self destructive. Fighting with teammates, coaches, the QB, other players on twitter. Hes 31, makes decent money, and we have to give up a decent pick for him. THis would be a HORRIBLE move.

I don’t think he’ll require a decent pick. Pitt has 0 leverage in trade talks with him. He wants to leave, they need cap space, they want him out. Therefor his value goes down. Add his age and mouth... I don’t think he’ll fetch much more than a 4th or 3rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think he’ll require a decent pick. Pitt has 0 leverage in trade talks with him. He wants to leave, they need cap space, they want him out. Therefor his value goes down. Add his age and mouth... I don’t think he’ll fetch much more than a 4th or 3rd.

Yeah hard pass on a guy who could be a complainer with a young QB and HC who wants everyone buying in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×