A Brown or L Bell?

bspice

On 1/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, Bobby816 said:

Heres a rundown of who we've drafted at skill positions and where...

4th: Herndon (TE): probably the most optimistic pick on this list. But I'll hardly announce him as a success after just 1 season (same as you cant say a guy's a failure after 1 season(.

6th: Cannon (RB): Don't even see him on the team maybe this year or in the next couple seasons.

3rd: Stewart (WR): already cut from the team.

3rd: Hanson (WR): already cut from the team.

5th: Leggett (TE): already down on the depth chart and hasn't done much.

6th: McGuire (RB): nothing special at all. Pretty much had the starting RB role the last 4 weeks and didn't impress me at all. Depth RB at best.

7th: Peake (WR): cant even play WR for us when we lack talent there and is always injured. Luckily he holds ST value.

UDFA: Anderson (WR): I don't want to keep him out bc he's a crucial player for us. But he is a 1 trick pony that there's for a spot for on our roster, but he's never going to be this well rounded great WR. Also carried a ton of off the field issues that can get him kicked out of the NFL at anytime (hence why he was an UDFA who runs a 4.3)

2nd: Smith (WR): the highest pick we had used on a WR since 2001. Obviously he was a failed pick due to injuries. Not even on the team.

2nd: Amaro (TE): I'm a TTU fan and didn't like this pick. Not bc I didn't like Amaro, but bc of the WRs that were still on the board (Adams, AR15, Landry). Amaro is a reason I'm also not ready to anoint Herndon as a success yet... bc he had similar stats as Herndon as a rookie and was cut shortly after.

4th: Saunders (WR): was a bad pick and wasn't good for us and cut quickly.

4th: Evans (WR): was a bad pick and wasn't good for us and cut quickly.

6th: Enunwa (WR): one of our biggest success picks at skill. But I for 1 think he is highly overrated on this forum. His last 2 seasons were him missing a whole season and playing 11/16 games this season. And in this last season didn't even reach 500yds and only had 1 TD.

7th: Bohanon (FB): was a late round FB/RB that never amounted to much for us.

2012:

2nd: Hill (WR): never liked this pick bc of a guy named Alshon Jeffrey that was still on the board. Hill couldn't stay healthy and we over drafted him bc he was a combine warrior and we thought we were getting the next good GT WR. Which never happened.

6th Ganaway (RB): Who? Exactly.

7th: White (WR): Who? Exactly again.

This list shows that in the last 7 drafts (so what should be the foundation of this roster) we've never chose a skill position player in Round 1. We drafted 3 guys in Round 2 (Smith, Amaro, Hill) who were all cut within 2-3 seasons of being with the team. In Round 3 we've never drafted a good player. In Round 4 our only shot at calling that a success is Herndon (which is tbd). Round 5 we've never got anyone good. Round 6 we've added decent guys in Enunwa and McGuire but far from guys needing to make an impact. And Round 7 we've added nothing of value. Robby I'll throw in as a UDFA... and he has a skill set that I like, just wont ever be more than a deep threat.

Why did you leave off Darnold?

3 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

Why did you leave off Darnold?

Bc I’m not including QBs. I left agent and Petty out as well. I’m talking about RBs, WRs and TEs. I thought about adding OL as well... bc we’ve been awful drafting there as well. 

10 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Our drafting has been pretty awful in general.  I miss the Mangini days minus Gholston but he had to be the pick.

Macagnan has been the absolute worst drafter we have ever had. He has to knock this draft out of the park or he needs to be sent packing.

19 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Macagnan has been the absolute worst drafter we have ever had. He has to knock this draft out of the park or he needs to be sent packing.

Here is the crazy part, if he fails and gets fired next offseason. The next GM will have to deal with Gase and could fire him or put him on the hot seat early. Macc has to put talent around Darnold and add players that fit the 43 now. We still don't know what Gase really need for his team to work. We put up more yards and PPG than the Dolphins did last year. 

With Macc feeling this pressure, he's going to make the big splash moves. We just have to see if he pulls in the right people and if Gase is a good coach.  So much is on the line. 

11 hours ago, ekill08x said:

But he drafted Maye!!! The most overrated Jets player to back track his bad mid round picks.

As much as I want Bell, I really wonder what his agenda his? For a guy to sit out a full year in his prime & lose all that money, he must feel the sky in the limit for him. Is he after a five year guaranteed contract for X amount of $$$. His wants are going to turn most teams off, that why I feel the Jets have a 75% chance of signing him. No matter even is we get him the  negotiation will linger all thru the summer.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

But he drafted Maye!!! The most overrated Jets player to back track his bad mid round picks.

lol not that I don’t like the guy but we prioritize the easiest positions to replace and don’t to the ones that’s are different to obtain. Mac is a really bad GM. No other way around it. Jamal Adams was a terrific pick, but double dipping at safety was absolutely ridiculous was safeties are extremely easy to replace. 

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

As much as I want Bell, I really wonder what his agenda his? For a guy to sit out a full year in his prime & lose all that money, he must feel the sky in the limit for him. Is he after a five year guaranteed contract for X amount of $$$. His wants are going to turn most teams off, that why I feel the Jets have a 75% chance of signing him. No matter even is we get him the  negotiation will linger all thru the summer.

At his age whether it’s 27 or 28, he only has 1 big contract left. Whether it was last year or this year, he’s probably getting a 4 year $60-65 million contract or there about. 

Had he played and gotten injured, that would have been brutal for his next contract. Best case money wise for him was if he would have played and not gotten injured. But the Steelers were ready to run that guy to the floor.

He took the less risky route to secure a good long term contract. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s a slightly above average safety. When healthy.

I mean he was PFF’s 9th rated Saftey, when he’s on the fields he’s great but there in lies his only problem, he struggles to stay healthy 

17 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I mean he was PFF’s 9th rated Saftey, when he’s on the fields he’s great but there in lies his only problem, he struggles to stay healthy 

I feel he was used differently then he actual should be used his rookie year. Adams had to do all the dirty work and Maye got the rewards of that. Adams since he's been healthy has stepped his game up even more, which since he's shown his versatility for twice as long as Maye he has more freedom than Maye. I like Maye (hated drafting him bc of the position addressed not the player), but think he's overrated. I think he's a slightly above average FS. And you could say he's young and will only get better (which I hope is true). But one of the biggest things I didn't like about drafting him was his age. He already to start next season will be 26 with pretty much just 1 season of NFL experience. For comparison Adams will start the season at 23yrs old and twice the games nearly played.

Went on the Pitt forum the end of last week to see what they think they'll get for Brown. And I think they're off. They seem to think they'll get a mid to late Round 1st rounder for him. I think they get a 2nd at best. We shall see. My stance is that I don't see any 31yr old that's not a QB getting a 1st round return. Golden Tate who's a similar player (not nearly as good as Brown obviously) but still a very good player... went for a mid late 3rd rounder and he carries no attitude issues, is slightly younger and less of a cap hit then Brown. So that's where I get my value of Brown.

Archived