A Brown or L Bell?

bspice

22 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Brown for #3 overall? Lol

Look at the other trades in that article. Patrick Peterson and #33 for Brown. Brown for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th overall pick. Brown for Howard and #13.

The Peterson one might be the most aggregiois.

If this is what the Steelers FO is thinking, than I don’t see Brown getting traded. They might as well ride out the last 3 years of his contract and go for it while Ben still has it. 

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s not incredibly off. And we’re starving for talent. So we can afford to sacrifice a tad value wise.

We are close enough to the draft that we can almost plug in players to see if it makes sense for us. Who would you draft with the 20th pick? I know it largely depends on FA, but just wondering what you all think about dropping that far down.

With the 3rd pick, I would go either Jonah Williams, Greedy Williams, Nick Bosa, or Josh Allen. I would rather anyone of those guys than A Brown because of the 10 year age difference. Plus we would be losing the opportunity to trade back. So, I definitely wouldn't trade the 3rd straight up.

If we were to do a trade back, at 20th I would either go WR (even with Brown, we are still an Enunwa injury away from being short WRs and we would need an eventual replacement for Brown since he likely only has 3 years left of high end play), or maybe Fant TE or Cajuste LT or an edge player. 

I feel like an outlier, but I would do #3 for Brown and #20. To me, Brown + a receiver like Harmon is better for us than let's say Josh Allen, Greedy Williams or Jonah Williams. 

We have to be aggressive in FA with OL. Otherwise, we are going to handcuff ourselves come draft day. 

No thanks. AB and 20 for 3 doesn’t work for me. I just think that’s way too much to give up for a 31 year old Diva WR. Think it be much more likely to see us do a deal similar to Denver or Miami’s trades of Brandon Marshall. Prolly send a 3rd this year and either a 2nd or 3rd the following year for him and that should get it done.

18 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

We are close enough to the draft that we can almost plug in players to see if it makes sense for us. Who would you draft with the 20th pick? I know it largely depends on FA, but just wondering what you all think about dropping that far down.

With the 3rd pick, I would go either Jonah Williams, Greedy Williams, Nick Bosa, or Josh Allen. I would rather anyone of those guys than A Brown because of the 10 year age difference. Plus we would be losing the opportunity to trade back. So, I definitely wouldn't trade the 3rd straight up.

If we were to do a trade back, at 20th I would either go WR (even with Brown, we are still an Enunwa injury away from being short WRs and we would need an eventual replacement for Brown since he likely only has 3 years left of high end play), or maybe Fant TE or Cajuste LT or an edge player. 

I feel like an outlier, but I would do #3 for Brown and #20. To me, Brown + a receiver like Harmon is better for us than let's say Josh Allen, Greedy Williams or Jonah Williams. 

We have to be aggressive in FA with OL. Otherwise, we are going to handcuff ourselves come draft day. 

I really like the trade for multiple reasons.

1. Antonio Brown is a star WR that big time helps the odds of Darnold becoming a franchise QB, which that should be this franchises 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority.

2. Pick 3 is an awkward draft spot for us with this draft class. Trading back is easier said than done. Bosa and Allen go 1 and 2 and we are in a bad situation then. Meaning the difference between who we’d get at 3 or 20 wouldn’t be much.

3. Adding a 2nd Rounder would be great for us since we have so many holes and we need young talent. Doing a trade like this would be great to give us 4 picks in the top 100.

3 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Yeah and lately in trades, people have been getting way above the TVC. It’s a huge drop in the 1st for a 31 year old receiver with drama on a big contract. I don’t care if he’s elite. 

That's when you're trading up for a QB which is a premium asset. Not the case here.

The draft is a crapshoot, and like jetskid said, a lot more parity this year compared to last. Regaining the 2nd round pick and getting arguably the second best receiver of all time behind Jerry Rice, when you have a chance to develop Darnold into an elite QB, HAS to be pursued. Who cares about the contract? It's honestly not that crazy and we have a surplus of cap space that we need to spend. And like I said, Brown being 31 doesn't matter. He keeps his body fresh with his workout regimen and diet, he'll be elite for the next 4-5 years. Keep in mind, getting AB here may sway Bell to sign with us too. This is an extremely high reward situation.

36 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

That's when you're trading up for a QB which is a premium asset. Not the case here.

The draft is a crapshoot, and like jetskid said, a lot more parity this year compared to last. Regaining the 2nd round pick and getting arguably the second best receiver of all time behind Jerry Rice, when you have a chance to develop Darnold into an elite QB, HAS to be pursued. Who cares about the contract? It's honestly not that crazy and we have a surplus of cap space that we need to spend. And like I said, Brown being 31 doesn't matter. He keeps his body fresh with his workout regimen and diet, he'll be elite for the next 4-5 years. Keep in mind, getting AB here may sway Bell to sign with us too. This is an extremely high reward situation.

Few things of note.  One, you're telling me their isn't a huge talent disparity between Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams vs. a Montez Sweat or Christian Wilkens?  Being 31 100% matters.  Also, I don't know how you possibly think he's the 2nd best WR of all time.  I'm not even sure he's top 10.  

Just to add to this you have to wonder how his Diva personality would affect the locker room. Something im hard pressed to think about when considering Sams development. Give me Bell over AB tbh, no draft compensation needed and his issue is that he wants to get paid. Nothing else.

Just now, Dr.O said:

Just to add to this you have to wonder how his Diva personality would affect the locker room. Something im hard pressed to think about when considering Sams development. Give me Bell over AB tbh, no draft compensation needed and his issue is that he wants to get paid. Nothing else.

I'm not a huge Bell fan given the price, but i'll 100% take Bell over AB.  

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

I'm not a huge Bell fan given the price, but i'll 100% take Bell over AB.  

This is my thinking to I don’t want him at the 16-18mill that he’s most likely to get but I’d much rather that then the headache that AB has become

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Two things of note.  One, you're telling me their isn't a huge talent disparity between Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams vs. a Montez Sweat or Christian Wilkens?  Being 31 100% matters.  Also, I don't know how you possibly think he's the 2nd best WR of all time.  I'm not even sure he's top 10.  

I don't think there's a huge difference between Jachai Polite and Josh Allen. DT has a bigger gap this year but you're talking about the best player in the draft in Q. He's likely going in the top 2 and DT isn't even our most pressing need. You're being way too literal here and I see you'd be a need-drafting GM. 20 gives us good options at positions we may not normally consider at 3 (WR, CB just to name a few). N'Keal Harry, D.K. Metcalf, Byron Murphy, and DeAndre Baker are just a couple of guys that are good value at 20 and fill a need. Best possible outcome is to get the best blend of need & value. You gotta keep in mind this obviously has to come at a price and that price is AB.

As for AB, I don't know how else I can say it, this mans work ethic is second to none and he will have a long career for that exact reason. He's also barely been injured in his career so it's not like the wheels are gonna fall off and doesn't use raw athleticism to win 1-on-1. I'm mainly concerned with him being present for Darnold's development, so unless you think he's gonna drastically drop off next year or the year after, then this makes sense for us and don't be surprised when you hear reports about our interest in him. He's gonna be doing this for a long time the same way Rice and Fitz have in their careers, who were also technicians at their craft and had long HOF careers. It's coming for Brown, and I said he's arguably  top 2 behind Rice, although I personally wouldn't back that argument (yet, let's see how his career plays out). I'd have to give that to Randy Moss.

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I don't think there's a huge difference between Jachai Polite and Josh Allen. DT has a bigger gap this year but you're talking about the best player in the draft in Q. He's likely going in the top 2 and DT isn't even our most pressing need. You're being way too literal here and I see you'd be a need-drafting GM. 20 gives us good options at positions we may not normally consider at 3 (WR, CB just to name a few). N'Keal Harry, D.K. Metcalf, Byron Murphy, and DeAndre Baker are just a couple of guys that are good value at 20 and fill a need. Best possible outcome is to get the best blend of need & value. You gotta keep in mind this obviously has to come at a price and that price is AB.

As for AB, I don't know how else I can say it, this mans work ethic is second to none and he will have a long career for that exact reason. He's also barely been injured in his career so it's not like the wheels are gonna fall off and doesn't use raw athleticism to win 1-on-1. I'm mainly concerned with him being present for Darnold's development, so unless you think he's gonna drastically drop off next year or the year after, then this makes sense for us and don't be surprised when you hear reports about our interest in him. He's gonna be doing this for a long time the same way Rice and Fitz have in their careers, who were also technicians at their craft and had long HOF careers. It's coming for Brown, and I said he's arguably  top 2 behind Rice, although I personally wouldn't back that argument (yet, let's see how his career plays out). I'd have to give that to Randy Moss.

I don't think Potite is going to make it that far.  If he does, sure, but I think he's going top 15 personally.  I'm not being literal man.  I'm looking at who our GM is.  We picked 20th in 2016 and got Darron Lee.  Joey Bosa went #3.  Would you rather have Joey Bosa or Brown and Lee?  I'd take Bosa man.  

In terms of AB, I don't question his ability or his work ethic.  I question him becoming a cancer or a diva, which we don't need.  At the right price, sure, i'd be down, but I don't think that's the right price.  Also, I don't know anyone who really would argue top 2.  He's not better than Moss, Megatron, TO, etc.  You can argue Harrison, Fitz, and some other guys who dominated in non-passing era's like Largent.  

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't think Potite is going to make it that far.  If he does, sure, but I think he's going top 15 personally.  I'm not being literal man.  I'm looking at who our GM is.  We picked 20th in 2016 and got Darron Lee.  Joey Bosa went #3.  Would you rather have Joey Bosa or Brown and Lee?  I'd take Bosa man.  

In terms of AB, I don't question his ability or his work ethic.  I question him becoming a cancer or a diva, which we don't need.  At the right price, sure, i'd be down, but I don't think that's the right price.  Also, I don't know anyone who really would argue top 2.  He's not better than Moss, Megatron, TO, etc.  You can argue Harrison, Fitz, and some other guys who dominated in non-passing era's like Largent.  

T.O. is arguable, compared to Megatron he's obviously physically inferior but he cut his career short whereas Brown is still racking up stats. It'll be debatable when it's all said and done.

Archived