A Brown or L Bell?

bspice

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I wont disagree about Brown's attitude not being ideal and I'd be ok if we didn't land him. But the value in the draft picks is what gets me. I'll in my next post give a rundown of when and who we've drafted that are skill position players and it will show you why trading a pick for a proven WR is worth it.

Listen I get what you are saying and respect your opinion but the history isn’t going to change, it is what it is. If it’s AJ Green then I wouldn’t be nearly as upset but AB would be an atrocious move. 

Heres a rundown of who we've drafted at skill positions and where...

4th: Herndon (TE): probably the most optimistic pick on this list. But I'll hardly announce him as a success after just 1 season (same as you cant say a guy's a failure after 1 season(.

6th: Cannon (RB): Don't even see him on the team maybe this year or in the next couple seasons.

3rd: Stewart (WR): already cut from the team.

3rd: Hanson (WR): already cut from the team.

5th: Leggett (TE): already down on the depth chart and hasn't done much.

6th: McGuire (RB): nothing special at all. Pretty much had the starting RB role the last 4 weeks and didn't impress me at all. Depth RB at best.

7th: Peake (WR): cant even play WR for us when we lack talent there and is always injured. Luckily he holds ST value.

UDFA: Anderson (WR): I don't want to keep him out bc he's a crucial player for us. But he is a 1 trick pony that there's for a spot for on our roster, but he's never going to be this well rounded great WR. Also carried a ton of off the field issues that can get him kicked out of the NFL at anytime (hence why he was an UDFA who runs a 4.3)

2nd: Smith (WR): the highest pick we had used on a WR since 2001. Obviously he was a failed pick due to injuries. Not even on the team.

2nd: Amaro (TE): I'm a TTU fan and didn't like this pick. Not bc I didn't like Amaro, but bc of the WRs that were still on the board (Adams, AR15, Landry). Amaro is a reason I'm also not ready to anoint Herndon as a success yet... bc he had similar stats as Herndon as a rookie and was cut shortly after.

4th: Saunders (WR): was a bad pick and wasn't good for us and cut quickly.

4th: Evans (WR): was a bad pick and wasn't good for us and cut quickly.

6th: Enunwa (WR): one of our biggest success picks at skill. But I for 1 think he is highly overrated on this forum. His last 2 seasons were him missing a whole season and playing 11/16 games this season. And in this last season didn't even reach 500yds and only had 1 TD.

7th: Bohanon (FB): was a late round FB/RB that never amounted to much for us.

2012:

2nd: Hill (WR): never liked this pick bc of a guy named Alshon Jeffrey that was still on the board. Hill couldn't stay healthy and we over drafted him bc he was a combine warrior and we thought we were getting the next good GT WR. Which never happened.

6th Ganaway (RB): Who? Exactly.

7th: White (WR): Who? Exactly again.

This list shows that in the last 7 drafts (so what should be the foundation of this roster) we've never chose a skill position player in Round 1. We drafted 3 guys in Round 2 (Smith, Amaro, Hill) who were all cut within 2-3 seasons of being with the team. In Round 3 we've never drafted a good player. In Round 4 our only shot at calling that a success is Herndon (which is tbd). Round 5 we've never got anyone good. Round 6 we've added decent guys in Enunwa and McGuire but far from guys needing to make an impact. And Round 7 we've added nothing of value. Robby I'll throw in as a UDFA... and he has a skill set that I like, just wont ever be more than a deep threat.

Going to jump in on this from a different angle. 

What group of skills position would y’all prefer?

Bears: ARob, Taylor Gabriel, Tarik Cohen, Trey Burton, and Howard

or the following which seems to be the preferred guys on this board

Jets: Robby, Enunwa, Jamison Crowder, Herndon and Bell

I think that’s fairly close one way or the other. Brown would give us the edge but we would still be solid if we get another second tier WR as long as we have a first tier RB.

We are pretty much the Bears of a year ago. They were aggressive in FA. 

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Going to jump in on this from a different angle. 

What group of skills position would y’all prefer?

Bears: ARob, Taylor Gabriel, Tarik Cohen, Trey Burton, and Howard

or the following which seems to be the preferred guys on this board

Jets: Robby, Enunwa, Jamison Crowder, Herndon and Bell

I think that’s fairly close one way or the other. Brown would give us the edge but we would still be solid if we get another second tier WR as long as we have a first tier RB.

We are pretty much the Bears of a year ago. They were aggressive in FA. 

Adding Bell surely would change a lot for this team (a lot bc of his receiving ability). But we cant rest the whole offense being a success on 1 FA RB. We miss out on him... and then we need a (Big time) RB and a WR in the draft (and that's assuming we add a Crowder, Humphries type FA WR).

56 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

4th: Herndon (TE): probably the most optimistic pick on this list. But I'll hardly announce him as a success after just 1 season (same as you cant say a guy's a failure after 1 season(.

6th: Cannon (RB): Don't even see him on the team maybe this year or in the next couple seasons.

6th: McGuire (RB): nothing special at all. Pretty much had the starting RB role the last 4 weeks and didn't impress me at all. Depth RB at best.

7th: Peake (WR): cant even play WR for us when we lack talent there and is always injured. Luckily he holds ST value.

UDFA: Anderson (WR): I don't want to keep him out bc he's a crucial player for us. But he is a 1 trick pony that there's for a spot for on our roster, but he's never going to be this well rounded great WR. Also carried a ton of off the field issues that can get him kicked out of the NFL at anytime (hence why he was an UDFA who runs a 4.3)

2nd: Smith (WR): the highest pick we had used on a WR since 2001. Obviously he was a failed pick due to injuries. Not even on the team.

2nd: Amaro (TE): I'm a TTU fan and didn't like this pick. Not bc I didn't like Amaro, but bc of the WRs that were still on the board (Adams, AR15, Landry). Amaro is a reason I'm also not ready to anoint Herndon as a success yet... bc he had similar stats as Herndon as a rookie and was cut shortly after.

6th: Enunwa (WR): one of our biggest success picks at skill. But I for 1 think he is highly overrated on this forum. His last 2 seasons were him missing a whole season and playing 11/16 games this season. And in this last season didn't even reach 500yds and only had 1 TD.

2012:

2nd: Hill (WR): never liked this pick bc of a guy named Alshon Jeffrey that was still on the board. Hill couldn't stay healthy and we over drafted him bc he was a combine warrior and we thought we were getting the next good GT WR. Which never happened.

This list shows that in the last 7 drafts (so what should be the foundation of this roster) we've never chose a skill position player in Round 1. We drafted 3 guys in Round 2 (Smith, Amaro, Hill) who were all cut within 2-3 seasons of being with the team. In Round 3 we've never drafted a good player. In Round 4 our only shot at calling that a success is Herndon (which is tbd). Round 5 we've never got anyone good. Round 6 we've added decent guys in Enunwa and McGuire but far from guys needing to make an impact. And Round 7 we've added nothing of value. Robby I'll throw in as a UDFA... and he has a skill set that I like, just wont ever be more than a deep threat.

BINGO, that is the reason we were 5-11. 5-11, 4-12 the last three years. Even the Macc, lovers can't defend his record.

21 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

BINGO, that is the reason we were 5-11. 5-11, 4-12 the last three years. Even the Macc, lovers can't defend his record.

And the only season we had a winning season during these drafted years... was when we added Marshall and Decker to our WR squad. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Just now, rickyt31 said:

With the help our oline needs and the transition we'll have to make with our front 7, there is not telling how this offseason will go. 

I will say it will be a waste of time to sign Bell if we don't add a good C and LG. I absolutely prioritize those just as much as I prioritize WR and RB for us to address this offseason.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I will say it will be a waste of time to sign Bell if we don't add a good C and LG. I absolutely prioritize those just as much as I prioritize WR and RB for us to address this offseason.

I agree. It's just going to be interesting to see where the money goes. Even though we have the cap space, we're still competing against other teams with young QBs who are trying to build their offense as well. We're going to lose out on some of these targets. I think Brown or Bell would be great, but we might have to spread the money around to make a complete team.

I wouldn't be mad if we picked one of them up. I'm not the type to only want to draft 17-year-old players. Vets play a huge part on winning teams. They set the bar high in camp and gives the young guys someone outside of the coach to learn from. Example, imagine drafting a guy like Butler and him getting a chance to watch Antonio Brown run routes every day in practice. Or drafting a guy like Bryce Love in the late rounds and he gets to watch Bell take advantage of LB's in the passing game. 

If it's Brown, Green, Bell, or whoever. I just want one of them because I recently realized that the best offensive teams draft most of their talent. I would just go oline and one target. 

Chiefs - Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Hunt*

Rams - Goff, Gurly, Woods, 

Pats - Brady, Edleman, Gronk, Michel

Saints -  Didn't draft Brees, but they drafted Ingram, Kamara, and Thomas. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, Bobby816 said:

What I wouldn't give to have the Jets 2009 offensive line. That was the best jets O line in their history. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Alan Faneca, Nick Mangold, Damien Woody, Brandon Moore. Not one of the Jets current offensive roster could even make that 2009 O line.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, Bobby816 said:

2012:

Remembers fondly to the good ole days when the Jets had that mid round magic. The days of Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Kerry Rhodes, Dwight Lowery, Jerricho Cotchery, Laveranues Coles, Kareem McKenzie etc

2 hours ago, Akomplice said:

Remembers fondly to the good ole days when the Jets had that mid round magic. The days of Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Kerry Rhodes, Dwight Lowery, Jerricho Cotchery, Laveranues Coles, Kareem McKenzie etc

Very interesting I almost forgot Stephen Hill, his first game he had two TD receptions, and never did one thing in his short NFL career, after his first game. He really turn out to be another major BUST.

7 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Very interesting I almost forgot Stephen Hill, his first game he had two TD receptions, and never did one thing in his short NFL career, after his first game. He really turn out to be another major BUST.

Well it worked for Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas, never mind he never had a college career like the other two. Sometimes we all wonder what exactly it is that's going through these scouts and GM's mind.

17 hours ago, Akomplice said:

What a group of players! I loved Leon and Cotch. That three year spell (Mangini’s last and Rex’s first two) were so special even though we weren’t blowing teams away or anything but the team felt like something we could get behind and support. These last three years in particular have been draining and depressing. 

Archived