Jump to content
KingTitan

Packers want to interview OC Matt Lafluer for Head Coach

Recommended Posts

Let's go off into what if world.    

If the Packers do the unthinkable and take him, where do we turn?

And do we officially just trade Marcus like Alex Smith to KC? Lol 

Trade Henry and get a stable or scatbacks?

Do we go crazy and do a complete spread offense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Let's go off into what if world.    

If the Packers do the unthinkable and take him, where do we turn?

And do we officially just trade Marcus like Alex Smith to KC? Lol 

Trade Henry and get a stable or scatbacks?

Do we go crazy and do a complete spread offense?

Dunno if it's what we will do, but what I would do is go all in on trying to get Gary Kubiak here as OC. Shanahan principles in his system allows it to stay similar so Marcus' doesn't have much of a learning curve. One option if the decision is to move on from Marcus this off-season(though I see no scenario where that is the case, honestly) is bringing in Flacco with Kubiak, as Kubiak was responsible for the best season of Joe Flacco's career, and it was under Kubiak where people started asking "is Flacco elite" seriously instead of just as a joke based off his SB run.

If Kubiak goes elsewhere, I then go all in on Mike LaFleur, Matt's brother. Current WR coach and passing game coordinator for Kyle Shanahan in San Fran, was under him in 15 in Atlanta as TEs coach then 16 in Atlanta as WR coach, so the system connection is obvious.

Whoever we hire needs to be based in the Shanahan system. Those two are the two best options, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Packers are casting an insanely wide net, so not overly concerned. Seemingly interviewing every even borderline HC candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Packers are casting an insanely wide net, so not overly concerned. Seemingly interviewing every even borderline HC candidate.

They do seem to try not to change coaches often, so might as well interview everyone available to make sure you get it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems McDaniels is the favorite there... but has everyone seen some of the candidates that are getting HC interviews this hiring cycle?  It won't shock me if he receives a couple more invites, and even gets an offer.  Teams are so desperate to find the next McVay/Pederson/Nagy.  It doesn't matter if most of us agree he's not quite ready... that needs a bit more seasoning.

I think one of the biggest question marks (that I have at least) is his rapport with players.  I'm not saying it's not there... but I haven't seen much in regards to it.  There's plenty of quotes from players regarding Vrabel and even Pees, but I haven't seen much about LaFluer, and how players get along with him, etc.  I'd like to see him make the move from the booth to the sidelines.  It may or may not help the effectiveness (loses having full disposal to all the tech up there, but gains that one on one with Mariota and the rest of the offense between drives, gets a better feel)... but it seems like the natural next step if he aspires to be a HC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t see LaFleur as the type to command a locker room. I personally think he’ll flop if he takes a HC gig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I just don’t see LaFleur as the type to command a locker room. I personally think he’ll flop if he takes a HC gig.

I didn't see McVay, Nagy, Shanahan or any of those guys as people who command a locker room but they get the job done I guess. 

Thought of them as just X's and O's type. 

Success makes a locker room easier. 

It takes leader of men to change a culture. But an X's and O's guy can win keep the peace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I didn't see McVay, Nagy, Shanahan or any of those guys as people who command a locker room but they get the job done I guess. 

Thought of them as just X's and O's type. 

Success makes a locker room easier. 

It takes leader of men to change a culture. But an X's and O's guy can win keep the peace. 

I can’t speak on Shanahan but I definitely get the sense McVay and Nagy command their locker rooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I can’t speak on Shanahan but I definitely get the sense McVay and Nagy command their locker rooms.

LaFleur is definitely more timid than most head coaches usually are, but there are examples of that personality working(Dungy being a great example). I think it's fair to see it's far rarer to see that work out than other personalities, but I also think that has to do with the fact that it's just rare to see timid personalities in coaches period. Most are authoritative to at least some degree, or have some level of an ego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

LaFleur is definitely more timid than most head coaches usually are, but there are examples of that personality working(Dungy being a great example). I think it's fair to see it's far rarer to see that work out than other personalities, but I also think that has to do with the fact that it's just rare to see timid personalities in coaches period. Most are authoritative to at least some degree, or have some level of an ego.

Ehh I never really saw Dungy as timid, he was just the nicest person on the face of the planet lol. Every interview I’ve seen with LaFleur I just dont get the vibe that he instills any confidence or conviction. He just doesn’t seem confident. That’s just the sense that I get, not saying it’s fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I’d be upset if we lose LaFleur would be because it would likely cause Marcus to have to learn yet another system and he’d have to build another rapport with another OC. Other than that, I wouldn’t really care if he goes somewhere else. I wasn’t that impressed with him as a play caller and even though some of his scheming was good, the only reason I think some of us drooled so hard over it was because compared to Robiskie it was god-like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

The only reason I’d be upset if we lose LaFleur would be because it would likely cause Marcus to have to learn yet another system and he’d have to build another rapport with another OC. Other than that, I wouldn’t really care if he goes somewhere else. I wasn’t that impressed with him as a play caller and even though some of his scheming was good, the only reason I think some of us drooled so hard over it was because compared to Robiskie it was god-like.

Mariota's injury bug will be the biggest question going into 2019... but he needs the continuity of LaFleur to have any chance at becoming that QB we need him to become.  This would be his 5th different OC in the past 6 years (including his last year at Oregon)...

Some of us recognized this a year ago... and it was one of the main reasons we were disappointed in the QB coach hire.  Do any of us really see O'Hara taking over any offense.  His biggest experience came from coaching Adam Sandler.  We're going to have to look outside the organization if LaFleur does indeed take a job elsewhere.

I know he has no coaching experience... but I really wanted us to bring Orlovsky in some sort of role... to start grooming him to replace LaFleur whenever he left.  He seems to understand the X's and O's, and I think would have made a great study under LaFleur.  Maybe one year would not have been enough time, so it doesn't matter if LaFleur is one and done... but I think two years would have been enough to help mold him... and I just don't see that with O'Hara. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×