Packers want to interview OC Matt Lafluer for Head Coach

KingTitan

I’m not disagreeing with you I’m just saying the only thing I think we’ll really miss if LaFleur leaves is continuity. He left a lot to be desired every where else. If we bring in an experienced OC who is head and shoulders a better play caller that knows how to properly scheme and can build a better rapport/relationship with Mariota (not saying LaFleur had a bad one with him) will that outweigh continuity?

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

I’m not disagreeing with you I’m just saying the only thing I think we’ll really miss if LaFleur leaves is continuity. He left a lot to be desired every where else. If we bring in an experienced OC who is head and shoulders a better play caller that knows how to properly scheme and can build a better rapport/relationship with Mariota (not saying LaFleur had a bad one with him) will that outweigh continuity?

I know people have mentioned Kubiak... but how realistic is that?  And if not him, then who... JBC?  And how different is his system to anything Mariota's been in before?  Those 2 guys are the hot names that most teams with openings are going to be going after.  Honestly, who are these other experienced OC's who are head and shoulders better than LaFleur?

The truth is that just like HC's and QB's, good coordinators don't grow on trees. 

LaFleur showed more than enough to give hope for next year.  He lost the 2 most productive receiving options from the previous couple of seasons early in the season with no real options to replace them.  Mariota's nerve damage hindered him most of the season.  There were challenges... and yet he adjusted... using wildcat... adjusting game plans week to week.  He was a rookie playcaller who needs to be more consistent, but he definitely flashed some brilliance.  I'm excited to see what him and Mariota do together in year 2. 

If I'm LaFleur, I hope GB is serious about their interest, because there aren't too many better jobs.  The Cleveland job would also intrigue me because they are young and ready to win now... but ownership there is a big question mark.  Other than those spots, I wait, continue developing with Mariota, and see what other opportunities present themselves in a year or 2. 

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I know people have mentioned Kubiak... but how realistic is that?  And if not him, then who... JBC?  And how different is his system to anything Mariota's been in before?  Those 2 guys are the hot names that most teams with openings are going to be going after.  Honestly, who are these other experienced OC's who are head and shoulders better than LaFleur?

The truth is that just like HC's and QB's, good coordinators don't grow on trees. 

LaFleur showed more than enough to give hope for next year.  He lost the 2 most productive receiving options from the previous couple of seasons early in the season with no real options to replace them.  Mariota's nerve damage hindered him most of the season.  There were challenges... and yet he adjusted... using wildcat... adjusting game plans week to week.  He was a rookie playcaller who needs to be more consistent, but he definitely flashed some brilliance.  I'm excited to see what him and Mariota do together in year 2. 

If I'm LaFleur, I hope GB is serious about their interest, because there aren't too many better jobs.  The Cleveland job would also intrigue me because they are young and ready to win now... but ownership there is a big question mark.  Other than those spots, I wait, continue developing with Mariota, and see what other opportunities present themselves in a year or 2. 

Kubiak is the only realistic experienced option to keep some form of continuity for Mariota. After that you have to move to Matt's brother, Mike, in San Fran as the next choice for OC, IMO at least.

Under no circumstances can we ask Mariota to learn a brand new offense. Just can't do it. If it's not Matt staying here, hiring Kubiak if he leaves or hiring Mike if Kubiak turns us down, then I have no idea what we do.

Archived