2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yeesh. I would definitely not go that far. I can see a small case if you're very concerned about Bosa's durability, but talent wise they aren't close imo.

• Gary was the top prospect out of HS
  • Gary is a better athlete than Bosa
  • Gary has more size
  • Gary has same tier of technique
  • Gary was asked to set the edge, and not let loose to rush the passer like Bosa
  • Gary played hurt all of 2018, but was a team player and will his way to the field.. Bosa checked out for his own personal gain
  • Bosa has a lengthy injury history

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:
  • Gary has more size
  • Gary was asked to set the edge, and not let loose to rush the passer like Bosa
  • Gary played hurt all of 2018, but was a team player and will his way to the field.. Bosa checked out for his own personal gain
  • Doesn't mean a damn thing anymore.
  • Agreed.
  • Ok.
  • No he doesn't. Bosa's technique is in a league of his own.
  • I agree Gary's role was a difficult position to excel in.
  • I like that Gary was fighting to get on the field, but he did re-injure his shoulder mid-season it sounds like. Should have just waited to fully heal instead of screwing with his short and long term health. Bad on the Michigan doctors.
  • Gary doesn't have a spotless history either as you mentioned above.

Gary probably has one of the highest "potentials" due to his athleticism, but you honestly can not compare Bosa and Gary talent wise as prospects. Bosa is much safer and has an immense floor, while having a very high ceiling too. Some like Nick over Joey coming out which says a lot.

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:
  • Doesn't mean a damn thing anymore.
  • Agreed.
  • Ok.
  • No he doesn't. Bosa's technique is in a league of his own.
  • I agree Gary's role was a difficult position to excel in.
  • I like that Gary was fighting to get on the field, but he did re-injure his shoulder mid-season it sounds like. Should have just waited to fully heal instead of screwing with his short and long term health. Bad on the Michigan doctors.
  • Gary doesn't have a spotless history either as you mentioned above.

Gary probably has one of the highest "potentials" due to his athleticism, but you honestly can not compare Bosa and Gary talent wise as prospects. Bosa is much safer and has an immense floor, while having a very high ceiling too. Some like Nick over Joey coming out which says a lot.

I really want to like Gary, but I just dont. He looks like a guy thats a very good athlete but it doesnt match up on the actual field. He seems very fast and has good burst, but he doesnt have the fastest get off IMO and he doesnt have much bend at all. 

I actually think his best shot at success is to kick inside the majority of passing downs. He can set the edge at DE in bigger packages for sure, but he'll make his money rushing the passer from inside IMO. And if im drafting him to do that I'm taking Oliver or Quinnen over him. 

This is my take for Gary at 4, if we trade down to 8-10 or later I would like the pick a lot more, I have him 10th on my big board. 

18 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Gary is a polarizing prospect indeed. Do you have a player comp for him?

I've seen him compared to Cameron Jordan by a few outlets. They have a very similar physical profile and both had meh production in college. 

Cam Jordan - 6'4" 287 

4.78 forty, 31.0" vertical leap, 9'7" broad jump (NFL combine)

Rashan Gary - 6'5" 281

4.57 forty, 31.0" vertical leap, 9'6" broad jump (Michigan combine) 

12 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Gary is a polarizing prospect indeed. Do you have a player comp for him?

I have a couple guys I see similarities with. I see some Carlos Dunlap, but I think Everson Griffen is the guy I see most similarities with. Guys that win with good athleticism but mainly strength more than bend, and guys that can kick inside and be productive there rushing the passer. 

Gary's college production isn't great but a lot of the elite DE's in the league had meh production in college. 

Danielle Hunter only had 4.5 sacks in 3 seasons at LSU and had 14.5 sacks this season.

JJ Watt only had 11.5 sacks in 2 seasons at Wisconsin and had 14.5 sacks this season. 

Chris Jones only had 8.5 sacks in 3 seasons at Mississippi State and had 15.5 sacks this season. 

Frank Clark only had 11.0 sacks in 4 seasons at Michigan and had 14.0 sacks this season. 

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I've seen him compared to Cameron Jordan by a few outlets. They have a very similar physical profile and both had meh production in college. 

Cam Jordan - 6'4" 287 

4.78 forty, 31.0" vertical leap, 9'7" broad jump (NFL combine)

Rashan Gary - 6'5" 281

4.57 forty, 31.0" vertical leap, 9'6" broad jump (Michigan combine) 

First and foremost it’s production on the field that counts and then the measurements help to separate the players.

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I get tired of the idiotic takes on here. My friends who like other teams keep sending me meme posts of raiders fans screaming "trade carr". They can't believe how idiotic our fans are.

No player is untradeable. I get that. But look at the other quarterbacks with similar salaries. Would they have done much better last year?

IMO, Gruden looks at Carr for what he is.... a middle of the road QB. Mayock is right, there are not 32 starting QBs in the league, and Carr is one of them. Doesn't mean he's the type who can lead you deep into the playoffs, just that he's a guy you can win some games with.

You'd be misguided to think Gruden wouldn't upgrade his QB if he found the right guy or got the right trade.  Same time it's not so black and white. They can keep him until they find his eventual replacement. I personally don't think Carr is long for this team. Where there is smoke there is fire. 

I like Carr and believe he's the starter in 2019, but they will put pressure on him going forward. 

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:
  • Gary has more size

First off.... stop posting Youtube highlights as some form of evidence. Every player can put a highlight package together that make him look good. It's meaningless. I've been eyeing Gary waiting to see more since he came to Michigan. He's underwhelmed as the top HS recruit.

Gary's technique isn't at the same level as Bosa. Bosa is the most technically polished pass rusher to come out in a while. He's also a terrific athlete. He's not some freakish athlete, but that's not a requirement. He can bend the edge and is strong as an ox. Gary struggles laterally and getting around the corner (which is why some see him inside). And his motor doesn't always run. He takes playoff. Bosa is a dog chasing cars by comparison.

Bosa decided to focus on the draft, like most players do now. That's just good business. Stop trying to make that a negative against him.

You sounds like an Al Davis draft truther. Height/Weight/Speed over production and football skills. 

I'd take Gary at 24 or 27 where he should (but likely won't) be drafted.

Archived