2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

49 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Which is still not bad at all. Nothing to be incredibly proud of either though. I mean hell we didn't even have a #3 receiver back then. Reggie didn't draft a ******* receiver in 6 years aside from criner, cooper, and butler. That stands out to me as truly horrible and out of touch with the modern game.

Do you want to retract that after actually looking at the situations and rosters those years or do we have to go back and forth on this haha...

Reggie made some good and some bad moves but this is far from horrible and out of touch imo.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Do you want to retract that after actually looking at the situations and rosters those years or do we have to go back and forth on this haha...

Reggie made some good and some bad moves but this is far from horrible and out of touch imo.

I stand by it. He didn't draft skill position players well. Roberts was one of the worst receivers in the NFL in the slot by every metric and we kept him. He couldn't draft a tight end or good back either. We lucked into richard in UDFA. Murray was mediocre.

He had his hits, but it's ugly. We drafted so many defensive players without hits under him instead of investing in young skill guys to build around. It's sad, but it is what it is. I used to be more of an optimist, but results have changed me.

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Which is still not bad at all. Nothing to be incredibly proud of either though. I mean hell we didn't even have a #3 receiver back then. Reggie didn't draft a ******* receiver in 6 years aside from criner, cooper, and butler. That stands out to me as truly horrible and out of touch with the modern game.

Ignoring the LBs was more egregious 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ignoring the LBs was more egregious 

But, but, but Reggie's philosophy was you can find great LBs later in the draft. Azeem Victor, Marquel Lee, Cory James, Ben Heeny, Neiron Ball, Sio Moore, Miles Burris, and Nathan Stupar prove that. O.o

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Agreed. We had too many ex linebackers running the show with del rio, Norton and Regg himself. Probably thought they could coach up late round linebackers

Never realized this til now.. wow. They musta thought they had the LB super team and can coach up any 5th Round prospect. Can’t teach talent...

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I stand by it. He didn't draft skill position players well. Roberts was one of the worst receivers in the NFL in the slot by every metric and we kept him. He couldn't draft a tight end or good back either. We lucked into richard in UDFA. Murray was mediocre.

He had his hits, but it's ugly. We drafted so many defensive players without hits under him instead of investing in young skill guys to build around. It's sad, but it is what it is. I used to be more of an optimist, but results have changed me.

This doesn't address the WR position, which is what I took issue with in your original assessment. Looking at the actual situations of the roster each year, the picks available and team needs, you are plain wrong.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Never realized this til now.. wow. They musta thought they had the LB super team and can coach up any 5th Round prospect. Can’t teach talent...

People were screaming this constantly on the board during and shortly after JDR run. How are you just realizing it...it's not like you don't pay attention to the threads haha

4 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

People were screaming this constantly on the board during and shortly after JDR run. How are you just realizing it...it's not like you don't pay attention to the threads haha

My four year old knows what a LBer is because of me yelling at the TV during the draft the past few years.

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Your evaluation.of the team last year by your own admission was way off, why should we believe your evaluation now?

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

Your evaluation.of the team last year by your own admission was way off, why should we believe your evaluation now?

It's a fair point. People make mistakes. I was hoping that a coaching change would account for some progress. I didn't anticipate the division being as good as it was, or the young guys not developing in large part and the fallout in the team after the Mack trade (i.e. Irvin quitting, Bryant being a non-factor, Cooper unable to be integrated, etc.). 

I do think this is a fair criticism of Reggie though. The NFL is a passing league and we haven't been able to develop talent/value at the WR position, which is why we're looking at a bottom 3 receiving group rn. 

Honestly, no one here has to trust my evaluation though. I hope Mayock is able to turn this thing around with a good draft. That is my sincere hope.

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's a fair point. People make mistakes. I was hoping that a coaching change would account for some progress. I didn't anticipate the division being as good as it was, or the young guys not developing in large part and the fallout in the team after the Mack trade (i.e. Irvin quitting, Bryant being a non-factor, Cooper unable to be integrated, etc.). 

I do think this is a fair criticism of Reggie though. The NFL is a passing league and we haven't been able to develop talent/value at the WR position, which is why we're looking at a bottom 3 receiving group rn. 

Honestly, no one here has to trust my evaluation though. I hope Mayock is able to turn this thing around with a good draft. That is my sincere hope.

Everybody but Gruden according to you though. You have not criticised Gruden once despite DJ and DRC all quitting, the Mack trade, the Bryant trade, the FA acquisitions and the overall mismanagement since he took over.

It’s all a bit too easy to say sorry I was wrong but I’m right this time.

Reggie had his faults but the franchise was in a much better position than what he inherited and what it is now.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:46 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Only thing I’ll crush Reggie for when it comes to Seth Roberts is the extension. The previous Staff and DC himself seemed to be Roberts backers which didn’t help imo. Roberts was a always a great story but JAG on the field imo

Archived