2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

1 minute ago, Forge said:

That's probably the biggest knock if you wanted him to play a more athletic and flexible LEO type role in a defense. He's not a tremendous athlete, doesn't have a crazy amount of bend or anything, has a solid get off but isn't the most explosive guy ever. He'd be a bad fit as an edge guy in a 3-4, so that is going to somewhat limit the number of teams that he may appeal to. I think his best fit is probably a 4-3 SDE and possibly moving to the inside depending on where he is at weight wise, how much he puts on, etc. 

Right or wrong, some people also feel that he's a product of that Clemson system and having great people around him (Call it the Kevin Dodd effect). I think that is really hard to evaluate, and just like any college team, great college teams put out both studs and duds, so I really don't know how you hold it more against him than most other players tbh. 

I like your opinion, whats the difference between him and a player like Zach Allen? I'm a Raider fan, and hope to double dip on DEs on first to get that pass rush good...

16 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

what don't people like about Ferrell? that he is stiff? 

Lacks elite bend. I think that is the knock on him. Fans and media guys tend to fall in love with the sexy smaller speed guys. I think Ferrell is a prototype Guenther DE, so after a good combine he could be pretty high on our draft board.

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

I like your opinion, whats the difference between him and a player like Zach Allen? I'm a Raider fan, and hope to double dip on DEs on first to get that pass rush good...

I like Allen more as a 3-4 DE if you want him on the edge, tbh. He's not going to be a legit pass rusher at the next level  in my opinion because of some limitations unless he's on the interior of a 4-3. He's crazy stiff, so he's definitely not bending edges, and I don't think he converts speed to power all that well as he's not physically explosive. He's all about timing and intelligence and technique. But he's pretty violent, strong...think he's a natural fit at the 3-4 end role with some development, or strictly on the interior in a 4-3 if you want to try and cultivate some quarterback pressure. You can move him along the line in a 4-3 on run defense to hold an edge, but he should not be rushing the quarterback from the edge in a 4-3 alignment.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has a career comparable to that of someone like Arik Armstead. Armstead was drafted to play a 3-4 end role. Has found a niche role in the 4-3 we now run, but is not a pass rusher (4.5 sacks the last two years playing the edge in a 4-3, 9 total in his career). He holds the edge very well against the run and slides around to 5/ 3 / 1 tech positions depending on the rotation. There's certainly value in that. Allen has more pass rushing upside, but on the edge, it's not significantly better at all. 

30 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Ed Oliver is out of the picture due to his agent :(

I don't think anyone is off the table at this point. No matter who the agent is. Agent want their clients to go as high as possible, the "agent" aspect of the Mack and Cooper thing is speculation at best and we have new guys in the front office.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't think anyone is off the table at this point. No matter who the agent is. Agent want their clients to go as high as possible, the "agent" aspect of the Mack and Cooper thing is speculation at best and we have new guys in the front office.

agents run sports

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think Ferrell is a prototype Guenther DE, so after a good combine he could be pretty high on our draft board.

This I agree with. Ferrell isn't my favorite choice at #4, but I can see the fit. It's also the reason I see Raekwon Davis in play with one of our 1st. To have that big lengthy DE that Guenther favors.

I think we need an explosive player at #4 but with either of our later 1st round picks, these two would be excellent picks. even if we had to trade up a bit.

4 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

This I agree with. Ferrell isn't my favorite choice at #4, but I can see the fit. It's also the reason I see Raekwon Davis in play with one of our 1st. To have that big lengthy DE that Guenther favors.

I think we need an explosive player at #4 but with either of our later 1st round picks, these two would be excellent picks. even if we had to trade up a bit.

I think I read somewhere he is going back to Bama.

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

Lacks elite bend. I think that is the knock on him. Fans and media guys tend to fall in love with the sexy smaller speed guys. I think Ferrell is a prototype Guenther DE, so after a good combine he could be pretty high on our draft board.

Agree. Draft twitter only cares about flashy athletes who can bend the edge.

Ferrell is a proven commodity. He has a good first step and excellent technique. He can win with a variety of moves. Excellent hand placement and great against the run. 

I made the mistake over overthinking Chubb last year. I won't overthink Ferrell. He's my #2 edge rusher after Bosa.

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

That narrative is getting ridiculous. Segal did what every agent does for their client in the Mack situation. And they got a stellar offer on Cooper. The agent thing needs to rest. No team is dumb enough to avoid talent over the agent the work with.

Archived