2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

FA: Edge ([shorter deals:] Ansah, Graham, [long mega deals, between Hunter and Mack tiers:] Flowers, Clowney), Corner [veteran scheme fit value guys that we always seem to get], WR [Tyrell Williams, DeSean Jackson]

1.04 TRADE to Jaguars: 1.04 = 1.07  + 3.05
1.07 Devin White, MLB LSU - Blue Chip talent that will be around pick 5-15, Jaguars trade up for Haskins.
1.24 Jaylon Ferguson, DE Louisiana Tech - Edge rusher of the future. I feel like you pair this with a FA "prove it" deal to Ziggy Ansah or a short deal to Brandon Graham whichever would sign. Alternatively if a younger stud signs in FA like Clowney or Flowers and it can be budgeted cool.
1.27 Mack Wilson, SLB Alabama  - I feel like this pick could be Wilson or Dexter Lawerence. Wilson at SLB would excel beyond replacement level at coverage and be a nice pairing with White to massively upgrade our LB group, with Whitehead at WLB and Marrow and Lee being depth. Lawerence would be if the staff is low on Justin Ellis and/or can not find either Johnathan Hankins like singing or resign. A stud NT would benefit White as well for an upgrading of the LB group, but I think Wilson would be a bigger impact on more downs so he is my preferred option.
2.03 Nasir Adderley, FS Delaware  - Rangey FS to pair with Karl Joseph, corner experience to cover slot or TE too, he might be gone by this pick but I'm going with my current ideal draft within projected ranges.
3.02 Julian Love, CB Notre Dame - Mike Mayock years ago did commentary for ND, although he wouldn't have covered the current class I have to assume he knows a bit more about ND prospects than your average GM. Love is projected low first to mid third right now but doesnt have ideal height or speed. I think Mayock could pull the trigger at great value in the third to be our #2 CB.
3.05 Andy Isabella, WR UMass - That senior bowl, that super bowl [I know he isn't Edelman, but watching how the slot WR was so clutch we don't have that, even the Rams slot was important this year], that I'm guessing quick combine. I want that slot option for the Raiders. The other WR I looked at for this spot is Hakeem Butler of Iowa State who has some insane traits, but it looks like a case of the dropsies with a less than ideal route tree. Since we'd need a contributor earlier than projecting an insane development maybe 3 years down the line I went with Isabella.  I think Butler might rise higher than this anyways if he addresses the drops with great workouts as well as crisp diverse routes.
4.04 Alizé Mack, TE Notre Dame - Another Notre Dame guy. Mack's former last name was Jones before changing to his stepfathers name recently if you are looking him up. Has academic issues and some like flags, but his athletic profile is up there. I'd love to get Hockenson, but I don't think a first rounder to TE is what we are looking at. I still think Jared Cook isn't an option as he is past prime by Vegas and this is the year to start developing so the rookie is ready by Vegas. Talking about Vegas, Mack is from there.
5.20 Elijah Holyfield, RB Georgia - Evander Holyfield's son and what you'd expect - strong. He's a hard worker that has low mileage sitting behind Michel and Chubb before splitting carries this year, but his power behind another year of Marshawn (who would split carries) looks like a great fit for a replacement. Third down back could resign Richard, or a number of guys since that position always seems like there are options.
6.24 Jake Bailey, P Stanford - Like him, and think we need to address punter again as last years pick didn't do anything notable.
7.04 Bryce Love, RB Stanford - Probably gets drafted higher, but could be one of those "oh wow what a fall" guys that goes from a high round potential pick (his junior year) to a slip in play (senior year) to then tearing his ACL and falling hard. This lets him recover and have low to no carries for a while before competing.

I think Oliver is going to make a major comeback (because he has seemingly fallen out of the elite group to the media) after the combine. He's going to light it up and I wouldn't be surprised to see him reestablish himself in the top 7 of mocks.

Does anyone know Mayock's stance on interior guys in the past?

19 hours ago, Trojan said:

FA: Edge ([shorter deals:] Ansah, Graham, [long mega deals, between Hunter and Mack tiers:] Flowers, Clowney), Corner [veteran scheme fit value guys that we always seem to get], WR [Tyrell Williams, DeSean Jackson]

1.04 TRADE to Jaguars: 1.04 = 1.07  + 3.05
1.07 Devin White, MLB LSU - Blue Chip talent that will be around pick 5-15, Jaguars trade up for Haskins.
1.24 Jaylon Ferguson, DE Louisiana Tech - Edge rusher of the future. I feel like you pair this with a FA "prove it" deal to Ziggy Ansah or a short deal to Brandon Graham whichever would sign. Alternatively if a younger stud signs in FA like Clowney or Flowers and it can be budgeted cool.
1.27 Mack Wilson, SLB Alabama  - I feel like this pick could be Wilson or Dexter Lawerence. Wilson at SLB would excel beyond replacement level at coverage and be a nice pairing with White to massively upgrade our LB group, with Whitehead at WLB and Marrow and Lee being depth. Lawerence would be if the staff is low on Justin Ellis and/or can not find either Johnathan Hankins like singing or resign. A stud NT would benefit White as well for an upgrading of the LB group, but I think Wilson would be a bigger impact on more downs so he is my preferred option.
2.03 Nasir Adderley, FS Delaware  - Rangey FS to pair with Karl Joseph, corner experience to cover slot or TE too, he might be gone by this pick but I'm going with my current ideal draft within projected ranges.
3.02 Julian Love, CB Notre Dame - Mike Mayock years ago did commentary for ND, although he wouldn't have covered the current class I have to assume he knows a bit more about ND prospects than your average GM. Love is projected low first to mid third right now but doesnt have ideal height or speed. I think Mayock could pull the trigger at great value in the third to be our #2 CB.
3.05 Andy Isabella, WR UMass - That senior bowl, that super bowl [I know he isn't Edelman, but watching how the slot WR was so clutch we don't have that, even the Rams slot was important this year], that I'm guessing quick combine. I want that slot option for the Raiders. The other WR I looked at for this spot is Hakeem Butler of Iowa State who has some insane traits, but it looks like a case of the dropsies with a less than ideal route tree. Since we'd need a contributor earlier than projecting an insane development maybe 3 years down the line I went with Isabella.  I think Butler might rise higher than this anyways if he addresses the drops with great workouts as well as crisp diverse routes.
4.04 Alizé Mack, TE Notre Dame - Another Notre Dame guy. Mack's former last name was Jones before changing to his stepfathers name recently if you are looking him up. Has academic issues and some like flags, but his athletic profile is up there. I'd love to get Hockenson, but I don't think a first rounder to TE is what we are looking at. I still think Jared Cook isn't an option as he is past prime by Vegas and this is the year to start developing so the rookie is ready by Vegas. Talking about Vegas, Mack is from there.
5.20 Elijah Holyfield, RB Georgia - Evander Holyfield's son and what you'd expect - strong. He's a hard worker that has low mileage sitting behind Michel and Chubb before splitting carries this year, but his power behind another year of Marshawn (who would split carries) looks like a great fit for a replacement. Third down back could resign Richard, or a number of guys since that position always seems like there are options.
6.24 Jake Bailey, P Stanford - Like him, and think we need to address punter again as last years pick didn't do anything notable.
7.04 Bryce Love, RB Stanford - Probably gets drafted higher, but could be one of those "oh wow what a fall" guys that goes from a high round potential pick (his junior year) to a slip in play (senior year) to then tearing his ACL and falling hard. This lets him recover and have low to no carries for a while before competing.

I didn't know that was Evanders son... Holyfield be solid in the 4th or 5th.. .. our defense would be young and fast, I see Gruden getting some offensive players

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think Oliver is going to make a major comeback (because he has seemingly fallen out of the elite group to the media) after the combine. He's going to light it up and I wouldn't be surprised to see him reestablish himself in the top 7 of mocks.

Does anyone know Mayock's stance on interior guys in the past?

actually really interest in this years combine

It would be interesting to know how much input Mayock had in this current NFL.com prospect list. Could be a pretty good indication of our draft board this year, since Mayock was the head of draft stuff at NFL.com till January...

11 minutes ago, Rolni said:

It would be interesting to know how much input Mayock had in this current NFL.com prospect list. Could be a pretty good indication of our draft board this year, since Mayock was the head of draft stuff at NFL.com till January...

I imagine he had a pretty good say on the list due to the reasons you pointed out. He no doubt had been scouting some of these guys for a number of years now.

If Bosa, Williams, and Allen are gone then I'm on the Ferrell train at this point. 

I'll admit I wasn't as high on him before because I precieved a lack of athletic bend as a weakness, but I've since come to my senses. Ferrell is an excellent end prospect and a football player. 

Going to catch heat for this, but if we address defense in free agency with some talent, I wouldn’t be pissed about taking Jacobs at four. He’s being compared to kamara. If you could take kamara at four overall, would you? Dallas needed defense when they took Zeke, but he carries their team now. Just saying...

11 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Going to catch heat for this, but if we address defense in free agency with some talent, I wouldn’t be pissed about taking Jacobs at four. He’s being compared to kamara. If you could take kamara at four overall, would you? Dallas needed defense when they took Zeke, but he carries their team now. Just saying...

I was literally about to post this. Funny thing is my comp for him is Ezekiel Elliott. I've been stanning for Gary lately but he might be my guy when all is said and done.

Jacobs would give the offense a much high floor of performance than it had in 2018--and I was a big fan of what Doug Martin did. Jacobs really is the total package at RB: he can run past, around, and through--plus he catches it well out of the backfield.

38 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

He can also run routes out of the slot. Doesn’t mess around in pass pro either.

A lot of what the Raiders do at 4 rests on what happens in FA. The team needs to secure at least one starting edge guy from the top or second tier of FA to give them some flexibility in the draft. If the team goes Jacobs at 4, then I fully expect the next edge guy on their board to be a priority at 24 or 27. Unfortunately for the Raiders, Green Bay, Miami, Atlanta, Washington, Carolina, Minnesota, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore may all be vying to select an edge player before the Raiders do at 24. They likely all won't, but I suspect at least 5 go between the Raiders picks at 4 and 24.

Right now, this is how I would like to see the draft go as long as at least one starting edge is brought in FA:

1) Jacobs

24) Edge: Burns, Ferrell, Sweat, Ferguson, also liking what I'm seeing from Georgia's De'Andre Walker. Not really a fan of Polite but I guess he would be okay at this spot.

27) WR: Too many to list, might even be worthwhile waiting until 35. Also depends on who's brought in FA.

35) DB: Either a box safety who can play the slot or a starting caliber corner if one is not brought in via FA.

66) Linebacker: I actually don't hate the current LB core but it can definitely use an upgrade. I would rather look to replace Whitehead than Morrow--SLBs are usually easier to find. I also wouldn't mind double-dipping at WR depending on who's available.

Archived