Jump to content
Totty

2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The guys at The Draft Network said that they'd put Josh Allen, Brian Burns, and Jachai Polite in the same tier and that they don't really see too much of a difference between those 3 guys.

I personally stay away from The Draft Network, Locked On NFL Draft, and anything associated with non-mainstream draft Twitter. I personally can't stand their personalities (and it's pretty much just all one homogenized personality if you know what I mean), and their analysis isn't holistic. Their draft analysis seems almost completely disassociated with the NFL.

NFL.com is my go-to for draft content with a smattering of PFF's analytics and grading for additional context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 5:10 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

And you point is valid based on Kimura, a player that zero to do with Jacobs other than Kimura wasn't a starter in college? 

I guess I'm similar to Barry Sanders in a sense that I played RB in the 6th grade. LOL

 Like I said let's see how dominant Kimura is when Brees retires.  Kimura is not a lead back that can tote the rock 25 times a game and grind out yards when it counts.  He's a dynamic RB on a high powered O that allows him to flourish.  Only a few teams have the firepower to really utilize Kimura properly and he luckily got drafted by one of them.  

I really don't get what you're trying to say with your first point. You intimated that Jacobs wasn't worth the pick at 4 because he wasn't the starter at Alabama. I pointed out that Kamara, who is among the top 10 backs in the league, also wasn't a starter at Tennessee. The point is that a back may be worth a high pick despite not being a starter. You equating my comparison to yourself and Barry Sanders is not. the same. thing. 

I also don't see how Brees has much to do with how good Kamara is. It probably has something to do with how productive Kamara is. But talent is talent. Unless you're so unconfident knowing what makes a good runningback, then I don't see how you couldn't determine Kamara isn't a very good runningback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacobs is a nice RB prospect. He checks absolutely every box. I don't use this analogy much, but if you don't like Josh Jacobs as a player, you:

1.Haven't watched him play.

2. Can't evaluate RB talent at all.

That being said, draft twitter is doing a hilarious 180 on him because many were so late on him. I can't stand Matt Miller for example, who I consider a royal POS who thinks it's cool to take shots at Gruden and the Raiders on every segment. He literally didn't have jacobs in his top 10 backs, then suddenly was like "I love josh jacobs, he's the best thing ever, let me put him in every mock I can as high as I can".

All of that being said, I think where we are as a team, unless you feel that he is a game changing player, you absolutely don't take him at 4 and I'd strongly consider not drafting him at all unless he was somehow available in the 2nd.

That being said, I only would use draft capital on RBs who I feel CAN BE AMONG THE BEST IN THE GAME. Dorsey showed that when he drafted Chubb in the 2nd, or Hunt in the 3rd. If the staff really feels Jacobs can be that guy and the other available positions aren't good enough players thats fine. I don't like drafting for need, especially when the player you take is a blatant reach.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we compile a few articles/podcasts of Mayock's opinion on the 2019 draft so far. What do you think his strategy will be? What players does he value and what positions does he value? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I really don't get what you're trying to say with your first point. You intimated that Jacobs wasn't worth the pick at 4 because he wasn't the starter at Alabama. I pointed out that Kamara, who is among the top 10 backs in the league, also wasn't a starter at Tennessee. The point is that a back may be worth a high pick despite not being a starter. You equating my comparison to yourself and Barry Sanders is not. the same. thing. 

I also don't see how Brees has much to do with how good Kamara is. It probably has something to do with how productive Kamara is. But talent is talent. Unless you're so unconfident knowing what makes a good runningback, then I don't see how you couldn't determine Kamara isn't a very good runningback.

I'm saying that Jacobs not being the starter at Bama is one of many reasons why he should not be the 4th pick.  The Bama coaches clearly didn't think he was a feature back, a workhorse back or even the best back on the team.

I have seen some film on Jacobs and he is not an elite workhorse back in the mold of AP, Zeke or Barkley which are the only type of backs you take top 5 in a draft.  Why do you think there has been less and less backs taken early in the first rounds the last few years?  Quality Rb talent can be acquired later on and the difference between Jacobs a player like Damien Harris, who is projected to be a 2nd round player is not significant enough to warrant spending a top 5 pick on Jacobs when Harris could be drafted with our 2nd round pick.  There will still be elite talent on the board a 4 taking a non elite workhorse back is foolish and should never happen.  It will be a moot point bc there is no chance the raiders would make this move with a player like Ed Oliver, an elite talent, most likely still on the board.  

My point on Kimura is that while he is talented he is not the type of back who can flourish in any situation.  AP, Barkley or Zeke will flourish on almost any team no matter how terrible they are.  Kimura is a talented back who has an All Pro QB, an All Pro elite WR, a very underrated back in Ingram to compliment his game nicely and a top 10 Oline.  Pretty easy to run when you have so many other players to worry about that are complimented by one of the greatest and most intelligent QB's to ever play the game.  If Kimura was traded to the Bills or Jets he would not be half the player he is in New Orleans.

If you can't see how having Drew Brees makes Kimura a better running back then I have no clue what to say nor do I have the time to explain it to you.  So your belief is that if Drew Brees retired tomorrow and was replaced with Taysom Hill,  Kimura would have essentially the same production?  I hope you really don't believe that because that is flat out laughable.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

 Does anyone know anything about Drue Tranquill, OLB, Notre Dame he’s generating some serious draft buzz

Where are you seeing this? He's not very athletic. Had 2 ACLs back to back. Turns 24 as a rookie. Looks like a fringe roster player too me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

My point on Kimura is that while he is talented he is not the type of back who can flourish in any situation.  AP, Barkley or Zeke will flourish on almost any team no matter how terrible they are.  Kimura is a talented back who has an All Pro QB, an All Pro elite WR, a very underrated back in Ingram to compliment his game nicely and a top 10 Oline.  Pretty easy to run when you have so many other players to worry about that are complimented by one of the greatest and most intelligent QB's to ever play the game.  If Kimura was traded to the Bills or Jets he would not be half the player he is in New Orleans.

If you can't see how having Drew Brees makes Kimura a better running back then I have no clue what to say nor do I have the time to explain it to you.  So your belief is that if Drew Brees retired tomorrow and was replaced with Taysom Hill,  Kimura would have essentially the same production?  I hope you really don't believe that because that is flat out laughable.  

KAMARA 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

 

Hate to see this. This is the kind of player you can put a luxury pick on with #27. Let him redshirt and you have a top 10 talent in this class for value going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hate to see this. This is the kind of player you can put a luxury pick on with #27. Let him redshirt and you have a top 10 talent in this class for value going forward.

May even be able to grab him in 3rd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Where are you seeing this? He's not very athletic. Had 2 ACLs back to back. Turns 24 as a rookie. Looks like a fringe roster player too me

 Can’t remember where but they were talking about him being a converted safety with 80 inch Wingspan

Edited by Bitty 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Surprised nobody is geeking out over this pic of DK Metcalf right now. Forum is growing up fast lol.

I'm excited to see what the dude can run. He looks like a DE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm excited to see what the dude can run. He looks like a DE.

David Boston 2.0.  Really interested to see what he runs.  Not saying his previous injuries make him injury prone but when people get that big and explosive it can put a ton of strain on joints.  Sometimes people are freaks but most of the time they end up with issues.  I can get up to 230 but will have nagging injuries all the time while training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather have other wrs not named metcalf. We've seen the big explosive guys and typically they dont pan out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×