2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

I would take that trade in a heart beat.

In 2019 and 2020 we'd have 9 early picks: 6 picks picks in the first round, 2 early second round picks and another 2nd rounder. 

2020 1st Raiders

2020 1st Redskins

2020 1st Bears

Add in that we have the cap to pay 'good starters money' to 4 guys this FA.

We need to land 2 difference makers with our picks. Difference makers as in really good players.

That would leave 7 early picks and 4 big money free agents. If 50% work out (= good starters) we would land 5  good starters and a couple of role players.

That would mean we would basically have 2 difference makers and 5  good starters coupled with our current roster. That is imo a playoff calibre combination depending on how Carr will progress/further regress.

Hitting the 2 difference makers will be the hard part. Imo getting 5 good starters from 4 big FA contracts and 7 early picks is actually a low score.

19 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2016/08/05/raiders-notes-battles-line-will-make-team-better/      

“It was time to examine what left tackle Donald Penn could’ve done to prevent Khalil Mack blowing past him for a sack.

“Donald,” Tice ultimately said, “I don’t have anything for you.”

To hear Tice explain the play, you understand why some of what Mack does isn’t defendable.

“(Mack) bends, he’s about this far from the ground,” Tice said, placing his hand about a foot high. “He just slips under Donald’s hands.

“What am I going to tell him? ‘Bend down there with him.’ It was unbelievable. We like working against those guys. It’s going to make us better.”

You do know there is actual footage of how Mack usually wins in games, right?

Prefer to trade to giants or jags because both of them likely taking a Qb so whatever player we wanted at #4 likely there at those picks while grabbing a 2nd, 4th and future first most likely. 4 seems like a hot spot this draft because we don't need a qb and the teams directly behind us need em. Jets wont trade with giants most likely because ny rivals. 

We could get great trade value while still getting a Gary/williams/Allen/Ferrell.  

I'd love an additional 2nd this draft and be able to grab a cb/lb/s

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

You do know there is actual footage of how Mack usually wins in games, right?

You realize he is so deadly because olineman are aware of his multiple moves including bending. But if you can’t bend it makes the oline job that much easier.

Most of his off the edge highlights show him bending, dipping and ripping around the outstretched arms of the ot’s fwiw.

I want DK Metcalf badly. Dude is an absolute freak and one hell of a WR. If he didn't suffer the injury (which he is medically cleared from now), he'd be a top 10 pick. If we trade down to the teens somehow, I want that to be our selection.

He has the highest potential for a WR I have seen in some time.

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I want DK Metcalf badly. Dude is an absolute freak and one hell of a WR. If he didn't suffer the injury (which he is medically cleared from now), he'd be a top 10 pick. If we trade down to the teens somehow, I want that to be our selection.

He has the highest potential for a WR I have seen in some time.

Wouldn’t put it past him still being a top 10 pick, especially after he blows up the combine. 

An interesting topic came up on latest The Move the Sticks podcast episode regarding the Raiders and Jeffery Simmons. I think the Raiders would have an interesting decision to make with Simmons if he drops the top of the second round. Daniel Jeremiah made the argument that the Raiders are a long-term rebuild (something that I really don't think exists in the NFL anymore) and drafting Simmons would make a lot of sense.

I agree that drafting him would make a lot of sense, but not for the reasons that Jeremiah brought up. Just based on his play on the field, Simmons might be as good a prospect as anyone in this class. Further, ACL tears aren't nearly as debilitating to a player's future success as they've used to be and it has gotten just about to the point that they're more mere setbacks than career threatening. I actually think the Raiders aren't in the best spot to draft Simmons with either later firsts because we need starters who will play early, but top of the second would be a great spot to land a talent like him.

23 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

An interesting topic came up on latest The Move the Sticks podcast episode regarding the Raiders and Jeffery Simmons. I think the Raiders would have an interesting decision to make with Simmons if he drops the top of the second round. Daniel Jeremiah made the argument that the Raiders are a long-term rebuild (something that I really don't think exists in the NFL anymore) and drafting Simmons would make a lot of sense.

I agree that drafting him would make a lot of sense, but not for the reasons that Jeremiah brought up. Just based on his play on the field, Simmons might be as good a prospect as anyone in this class. Further, ACL tears aren't nearly as debilitating to a player's future success as they've used to be and it has gotten just about to the point that they're more mere setbacks than career threatening. I actually think the Raiders aren't in the best spot to draft Simmons with either later firsts because we need starters who will play early, but top of the second would be a great spot to land a talent like him.

Absolutely wouldn't be mad if we drafted him top of the 2nd.

I think he had potential to be the best DT in this stacked class. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I would not be mad but think the good value would be in the early 3rd.  With Jaylon Smith going in the second I do not think he lasts that long.  Maybe with a trade back with one of our firsts into the early 2nd while picking up a future pick in next years draft.  Trade the 4th to the Giants then the Jags trade up to the 24th pick to select a falling QB since the Giants jumped them at the top of the draft.  We get their 38th and 1st next year to go along with the Giants 7th and 37th pick.  

7th: Ferrel DE or White MLB

27th: Bush WLB or Sweat Edge

34th: Simmons DT

37th: Dillard OT

38th: Abram/Adderly S

66th: Jacobs/Samuel RB/WR

Now have 3 1st round picks in 2020 and Simmons would be like having another top ten pick in 2020 if he fully recovers.  Simmons could also end up going in the 1st still depending on the team doctors.  FA will change my draft targets but I think this would be an amazing draft for us.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:17 PM, drfrey13 said:

750 points which would be 15, 46 , and a late first next year.  So the numbers work out because they would pay a premium to move up in the top 4 to draft the first QB in that scenario. At 15 who knows who would still be around.  White, Gary, Ferrell , or Sweat.  You could also go O-line at that spot if Williams and Ford are still there or even another trade back if the defensive guys are not there.  Would have been a great spot for Simmons if he had not torn his ACL.

5 picks in the top 46 would be nice. We really, really need talent across the board. Hopefully Mayock is as good as touted and we can hit on a lot of picks over the next two years.

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Absolutely wouldn't be mad if we drafted him top of the 2nd.

I think he had potential to be the best DT in this stacked class. 

We need talent and Simmons has the potential to be elite, so I'd be stoked on him in the 2nd, even if he has to take a RS year. We're not going to the playoffs next year 

49 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We need talent and Simmons has the potential to be elite, so I'd be stoked on him in the 2nd, even if he has to take a RS year. We're not going to the playoffs next year 

With all the bad picks we have made in the 2nd round, I would be ecstatic picking a redshirting Simmons.

Those Mississippi St Dlineman are no joke. Cox, Chris Jones, Preston Smith - Sweat this year. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

5 picks in the top 46 would be nice. We really, really need talent across the board. Hopefully Mayock is as good as touted and we can hit on a lot of picks over the next two years.

I do not know if it is the GMs trying to be the smartest guys in the room but the consensuses picks from TV and internet analyst generally end up hitting at a higher rate than most teams.  If we just followed what the average best available player was in the first 3 rounds over the last 10 years we would have a much better team.  Our 2nd round picks definitely would have been.  The only year RM was graded favorably by most media outlets was 2014.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not know if it is the GMs trying to be the smartest guys in the room but the consensuses picks from TV and internet analyst generally end up hitting at a higher rate than most teams.  If we just followed what the average best available player was in the first 3 rounds over the last 10 years we would have a much better team.  Our 2nd round picks definitely would have been.  The only year RM was graded favorably by most media outlets was 2014.

Well, it can't hurt that we got a guy from TV to be the GM.

34 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

With all the bad picks we have made in the 2nd round, I would be ecstatic picking a redshirting Simmons.

Those Mississippi St Dlineman are no joke. Cox, Chris Jones, Preston Smith - Sweat this year. 

Agreed. I trust Mississippi State with their Front Seven, they are almost a sure thing in the NFL. He's definitely not playing DE in the NFL though, his natural fit is a 3-4 OLB although he should be able to play 4-3 SLB no problem is he puts on 5-10lbs. I really do like Sweat and would have no issues drafting him with a trade down. He has a much higher ceiling than Ferrell, although a riskier floor than Ferrell.

Archived