2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

What’s the hype  with burns?

he looks so thin to be effective around the los. The Florida st games I’ve watched he barely has impact and got pushed around a lot. Reminds me of Eli Harold I think it will take him A few years to be a solid player in the nfl. Imo first rounders should be 3 down guys he seems like strictly a 3rd down pass rusher

I agree with you on Burns. He reminds me of Key except he's more athletic, but he needs to gain strength and explosiveness--which can be a big ask depending on the athlete. I see him more of a late 2nd round to 3rd round guy.

I like him much less than Lorenzo Carter last year, who while didn't have as much pass rushing experience as Burns (Georgia moved him all over), Carter was a supreme athlete with great explosiveness and bend.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Williams is a bit of luxury given selecting Hurst and Hall last season. Edge is more important. Burns IMO has a better chance of going top 10 than he does 25 or lower where the Raiders will be picking.

PJ Hall had 0 sacks last season and is still an unknown. Williams looks like an elite player and that's something we need as we rebuild. I'd rather take an elite player to pair with Hurst and see what happens with PJ than take an above average edge player so PJ can play. Hurst/Williams would solidify our interior DL for the next decade and would be the best young duo in the league. We'll see with Burns, if he shows up to the combine at 235-240 I could definitely see him slipping.

5 hours ago, TheMadStork said:

That’s pretty darn good. That would have changed our teams history with the arod pick alone

Thanks bud. The sad thing is we actually missed him twice. Once in the draft and again in the Moss trade when we decided not to trade him for Rodgers and a 2nd or 3rd smh.

Been thinking about this a while and I want input on why this shouldn't be done considering the Raiders' unique situation.

The formula for success is talented rookies on low-money deals and proven vets/superstars on higher ones. The rookies who are not quarterbacks or top 10 picks have no leash to develop since if they aren't proven by the time their rookie deal is over they get shipped out or hit FA. The Raiders have three first-round picks this year and at least two next year. Considering this capital, why not trade one of your firsts every year for a first the following draft as much as possible? IE trade one of the three first rounders this year for another next year, so that they have three first rounders again next year, and repeat again the following year and so forth.

The draft is such a crap shoot that you may as well get two first-round talents each year. If you hit on one and not the other then at least you get one contributor. If you hit on both then you get the production from both before having to decide which to keep when the deals are done. If you miss on both, then you at least have another two the next year and so on. Or you can use two to trade up for a talent you're really sold on and still have ammo the next year. 

In order to even get to this scenario you would need some horrible stars to align, but the Raiders are already over that. The only downside I can think of is that there may not always be suitors to trade, but in a league where the front office leashes are also getting shorter I feel there will always be someone itching to move up for one of the three slots. You would also have a substantially younger team, but you could use your cap for elite/very-good veterans to be your mentors/discipliners. 

I would do it, and would think this is what Gruden might be aiming for if it wasn't for other bonehead moves like the Bryant debacle. 

13 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Been thinking about this a while and I want input on why this shouldn't be done considering the Raiders' unique situation.

The formula for success is talented rookies on low-money deals and proven vets/superstars on higher ones. The rookies who are not quarterbacks or top 10 picks have no leash to develop since if they aren't proven by the time their rookie deal is over they get shipped out or hit FA. The Raiders have three first-round picks this year and at least two next year. Considering this capital, why not trade one of your firsts every year for a first the following draft as much as possible? IE trade one of the three first rounders this year for another next year, so that they have three first rounders again next year, and repeat again the following year and so forth.

The draft is such a crap shoot that you may as well get two first-round talents each year. If you hit on one and not the other then at least you get one contributor. If you hit on both then you get the production from both before having to decide which to keep when the deals are done. If you miss on both, then you at least have another two the next year and so on. Or you can use two to trade up for a talent you're really sold on and still have ammo the next year. 

In order to even get to this scenario you would need some horrible stars to align, but the Raiders are already over that. The only downside I can think of is that there may not always be suitors to trade, but in a league where the front office leashes are also getting shorter I feel there will always be someone itching to move up for one of the three slots. You would also have a substantially younger team, but you could use your cap for elite/very-good veterans to be your mentors/discipliners. 

I would do it, and would think this is what Gruden might be aiming for if it wasn't for other bonehead moves like the Bryant debacle. 

When you do have to pay players in order to keep them on your roster.... you're going to lose your ***.  

Just now, Totty said:

When you do have to pay players in order to keep them on your roster.... you're going to lose your ***.  

It's basically what the Patriots have been doing on steroids. Anyone who isn't in the price range they set, they let go. Of course they have a GOAT QB/Coach, which is the bigger reason for their success, but the underlying strategy is solid. It's what has allowed them to always be in contention when they want to go after a high-price FA (Revis, Gilmore, Talib, Browner etc) 

Every team is going to struggle to pay their guys, they can't keep them all. The trick is betting on which one will keep it up after they're paid. The salary cap goes up each year, but that extra money just goes for bigger contracts/guarantees. It's not extra shelf space, it's more expensive clothing. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts on DeAndre Baker?

He's my CB1, but you probably won't see that rank echoed anywhere else. Something I notice is that the draft diaspora tends to unduly devalue corners who are under 6' or not blazing fast despite the league's best corners being exactly that. Playing corner is not just pure athleticism: it's a craft and it requires great feet-eye coordination. 

The reason why I have Baker #1 is because he 1) has the best and quickest feet among the corners I've watched in this class 2) plays press man coverage much more frequently and at a higher level than any other corner I've watched and, lastly, 4) he is a smart and willing tackler who impacts the running game on the perimeter.

Also, regarding his athleticism, he'll time under 4.5 and measure close to 5'11" at just under 200 lbs. He should have over 32" arms. He's a plenty good athlete.

Archived