Rank your 2017 starting QBs

paul-mac

9 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

You're also failing to acknowledge sample size and are using a very weird 37 point cut off to maximize the benefit for Rodgers.

I don't have the time or patience to go through a war on if Brady is a good playoff QB.  But FWIW I do recall someone posting the numbers of Brady vs Rodgers for games their defense gave up 23(?) point games and it was much closer/in favor of Brady.  No one is claiming that Rodgers hasn't been the victim of some bad playoff defense experiences.  

The Patriots going 3-1 isn't an indictment on Brady.   He was on a good team with the best backup QB in the league for two of those games.  Furthermore if you look at the splits 4 games without Brady:  20.25 PPG.  With Brady:  30 PPG.   Average QBR without Brady:  57.18.  With Brady:  79.1.  Just complete nonsense.  The Patriots got shut out to zero points without Brady against the Bills and then dropped 41 points on them before laying off the throttle, 4 weeks later.

Rodgers started the season going with QBrs of 81.3, 45.5, 98.8, 62.2, 30.0 and throwing for 199, 213, 205, 259, 294 yards.  And "only" 10-4 TD-INT ratio, which yes, by his elite standards is a bad start to the season.    His CMP% was also 58.8, 55.6, 62.5, 51.1, 73.8 to start the season.  He was very average to start the season which is a regression for him.  

The team started 3-1 almost in spite of him.  It's very convenient you stopped at 4-4 because the next game he went for 2 INTs and lost.   The defense wasn't giving up "40 burgers" every other week.   23, 17, 27, 16, 30, 10, 33, 31.  They gave up 40 points ZERO TIMES by your standard of 8 game sample, though they did give 42 and 47 the next two games.  23.3 PPG allowed.   Last year that would have been enough for 14th in the NFL.    

And it's not even just yards or touchdowns or INT%.  It's drives.  The QB's job isn't to just pass the ball.  It's to put his team in a position to succeed via play calls, checks, protections, running the ball, and not taking sacks.   He wasn't doing any of that at a high level the first 8 games of the season.   He just wasn't playing well.  Brady on the other hand is either leading or near the top of the league in QBR, rating, yards, YPA, CMP%, INT%, despite having a shaky OL play, no running game, a worse defense than Rodgers, a bunch of hurt receivers, playing a tougher defensive schedule AND being asked to do more to run the offense in a more complex scheme.

Brady this year has been miles ahead of what Rodgers was the first 8 games last year and better than Rodgers was overall, over the course of the season.

You certainly bring up some good points. Rodgers definitely wasn't playing very good through the first five games while the Packers started 3-2 last year. However, I was mainly referring to the level of play from Rodgers around the mid point of the season during their 4 game losing streak in which they were 4-4 right in the middle of it. At that point Rodgers had 20 TDs and 5 INTs. During the Packers 4 game losing streak Rodgers had 12 TDs and 3 INTs. That's 3 TDs a game during a 4 game losing streak. That's mainly what I'm referring to.

Just basically pointing out that it doesn't matter who your QB is, if your defense is an absolute joke you aren't going to win very many games. That was my main point. If Tom Brady his this rendition of the Patriots defense or the defenses that Aaron Rodgers has been saddled with in the playoffs he aint no 5x Super Bowl champion. It wasn't meant to be a comparison of Rodgers first 5 games last year to Brady's first 5 games this year. Only pointing out that through 8 games last year Rodgers was 4-4 while throwing 20 TDs and 5 INTs. 

I fail to see your point about the 37 point cutoff.  Do you want to cut it off at 30+ points? Well NE only gave up 30+ points in 3 of Tom Brady's 34 starts. That's 9%. The Packers have given up 30+ points in 5 of Rodgers 16 playoff starts. That's 32%. What about 40+ points? The Patriots have never allowed 40+ points in a playoff game yet Rodgers defense has allowed 40+ points in 3 out of 16 games. No matter which way you want to slice it, its unquestionable Tom Brady's defenses have consistently played better in the playoffs than Rodgers' defenses did. I don't think its debatable that Tom Brady's defenses have been better in the playoffs than Rodgers' and that Rodgers has actually played at a superior level in the playoffs to Brady. Like I said before. Tom Brady posted a sub 90 passer rating in 17 out of 34 playoff starts. Aaron Rodgers posted a sub 90 passer rating in just 4 out of 16 starts.

Sorry but I don't buy into ESPN's stupid QBR stat. According to that stat Matt Ryan is playing better than Aaron Rodgers this year and there are plenty of other examples over the years that show how worthless that stat is. Aaron Rodgers has 13 TDs and 3 INTs and Matt Ryan has 5 TDs and 5 INTs. The best QBR game ever posted was by Charlie Batch with 180 something yards 3 TDs and 2 INTs. Its a completely worthless stat and really doesn't have any correlation to winning or actual QB play. According to QBR Dak Prescott outplayed Aaron Rodgers on Sunday. In the meantime Aaron Rodgers posted a significantly higher passer rating than Dak did and won the game. I'll stick with passer rating over QBR.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Obviously we are never going to agree about this topic.

Archived