2019 Opponents

Bowler1215

16 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

@Madmike90 are you guys originally from Chicago or what?

I'm from England, kind of near Manchester. I actually became a Bears fan after a dream I had over a decade ago... Used to have my location on the old site but they took that feature off here.

On 1/22/2019 at 6:17 PM, Madmike90 said:

I am from just outside Glasgow in Scotland 😂...became a Bears fan after seeing a late night game and Brian Urlacher being a beast...then learned about the history of the Bears and been hooked since.

That is so crazy to me. All my sports loyalty is based off where I grew up.  I think its pretty cool that the bug hit you that hard.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

That is so crazy to me. All my sports loyalty is based off where I grew up.  I think its pretty cool that the bug hit you that hard.

I think when you don't have any team near by in a sport it opens up the options...that said I like the Bulls and Blackhawks too 😂

Not being from an area with an NFL team it is interesting to see how you and other people gravitate towards a team.

In Canada people kind of pick randomly or by TV geography. We get a lot of channels from Chicago and Minneapolis. 

I remember watching Bulls Championship runs in the 90s on WGN or one of the other local channels.

There are also a lot of Packers fans as geographically they are the 2nd closest team 

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Not being from an area with an NFL team it is interesting to see how you and other people gravitate towards a team.

In Canada people kind of pick randomly or by TV geography. We get a lot of channels from Chicago and Minneapolis. 

I remember watching Bulls Championship runs in the 90s on WGN or one of the other local channels.

There are also a lot of Packers fans as geographically they are the 2nd closest team 

WGN is a huge reason Cubs are so popular nationally.  

@Madmike90 @RJ_11 

I remember listening to draft podcast years ago and this English guy was on there making really good points.  http://seahawksdraftblog.com is where you find him.  He fell in love with seahawks.  You just don't  expect to hear someone with an English accent talking football, American football anyway.  

It was funny to me because football is not really kind of game most just pick up when it isnt ingrained in local culture.  There is a lot of nuance and rules to the game. You also cant just strap on a helmet and go play 11 on 11 with your buddies at 10 years old at park like you can with soccer or basketball (if there is a hoop). 

Though we did that all the time without helmets.  What we actually did was play by modified rules. There was never an oline.  

Kids in America don't go to park on their own any more to play under 11 or so. Parents get arrested for that now.  It's sad.  I really don't like how our culture totally changed in one generation.  We can't trust each other anymore.  I am 44 and in 80s every kid my age from 8-9 years old was on their own in summer from dawn to dusk.  Now everything is organized by adults and played in paid leagues. My funnest days were impromptu tackle football games. 

I digress. Nice having you. 

Growing up I remember thinking how could anyone watch a sport they didn't play? From 1990 to 1998 the only sport I watched was basketball, and then my brother decided to watch the **** Jauron era and I was shortly addicted after the Titans came up short on the one yard line. I started playing football after and playing Madden which really helped me understand the rules of the game. I still distinctly remember watching the Raiders Pats game and the tuck rule and then going outside in January Chicago weather and throwing a football around with my brother.

7 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Growing up I remember thinking how could anyone watch a sport they didn't play? From 1990 to 1998 the only sport I watched was basketball, and then my brother decided to watch the **** Jauron era and I was shortly addicted after the Titans came up short on the one yard line. I started playing football after and playing Madden which really helped me understand the rules of the game. I still distinctly remember watching the Raiders Pats game and the tuck rule and then going outside in January Chicago weather and throwing a football around with my brother.

I felt same way.  I only like to watch what I played.

I used to try to watch hockey because it seemed like a really fun sport, but never having played it I could never get into it.

I

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

@Madmike90 @RJ_11 

I remember listening to draft podcast years ago and this English guy was on there making really good points.  http://seahawksdraftblog.com is where you find him.  He fell in love with seahawks.  You just don't  expect to hear someone with an English accent talking football, American football anyway.  

It was funny to me because football is not really kind of game most just pick up when it isnt ingrained in local culture.  There is a lot of nuance and rules to the game. You also cant just strap on a helmet and go play 11 on 11 with your buddies at 10 years old at park like you can with soccer or basketball (if there is a hoop). 

Though we did that all the time without helmets.  What we actually did was play by modified rules. There was never an oline.  

Kids in America don't go to park on their own any more to play under 11 or so. Parents get arrested for that now.  It's sad.  I really don't like how our culture totally changed in one generation.  We can't trust each other anymore.  I am 44 and in 80s every kid my age from 8-9 years old was on their own in summer from dawn to dusk.  Now everything is organized by adults and played in paid leagues. My funnest days were impromptu tackle football games. 

I digress. Nice having you. 

Yeah this is so true, that's why soccer has stayed so popular over here. It's ridiculous how often kids will play it, I used to coach juniors at my cricket club and they'd just be kicking anything around pretending they're playing soccer instead. We used to play like weird 15-a-side games in school playgrounds with an empty bottle if we had no ball haha.

I've just started playing American Football too, been to a few rookie practises over the winter and got my first proper session with all the vets tomorrow. Not sure if I can actually afford to play yet though! Still need to buy my helmet and pads, and it's such a bigger commitment. Soccer is a one hour training session a week, a 90 minute game and all you need to buy are boots; this session tomorrow is four hours long, some of the road games are three hours away and the equipment is so expensive...

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I felt same way.  I only like to watch what I played.

I used to try to watch hockey because it seemed like a really fun sport, but never having played it I could never get into it.

I

It's one of the reasons I hated baseball. I never played it, found it really slow and in the summer they would have a 4 hour baseball game over the cartoons I wanted to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 4:30 AM, RJ_11 said:

I'm hoping it's at Tottenham's new stadium, looks bloody good and been Wembley a couple of times now

On 1/22/2019 at 5:39 AM, Madmike90 said:

Either or for me...I just wanna see da Bears live again.

From Hoge's #10BearsThings article from the weekend, it appears the game will be at Wembley.

Meanwhile, while nothing has been finalized, the Bears-Raiders game in London is currently slated for Wembley Stadium and not the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Archived