Call your shot: Veteran Cuts Edition

AlexGreen#20

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Your thread is entitled "call your shot veteran cuts."

Kentrell Brice has been a Green Bay Packer since 2016.

Kentrell Brice has been a starting safety during the past two seasons (2017 and 2018).

If you are limiting the pool of potential veterans to be cut to a subset of starters, perhaps a bit more clarity is in order.

Brice started 3 games at Safety in 2017 because everybody was hurt. 

This is a bottom of the roster guy. He got one chance in 2018 to show he had what it takes to hang. Didn't have it. Back to the bottom of the roster. 

Here were my guys in 2017 I was willing to part with if you're gonna open up to the "all veteran players"

and who I considered core players for the packers:

Randall already gone, perry/daniels leaning towards bubble guys already with only JA to replace them, and possibly Aaron Jones depending on your view of him. 

Roster as constructed today is in borderline panic state.

Cut Nick Perry?

I want the Packers to cut him and I think they will.  He's been a huge waste of money, and he's been hurt so often I don't think he should get another shot to get injured again. Bye!

Cut Jimmy Graham?

I up in the air with him, but given our lack of quality at that position I think they have to bring him back .. which I think they will.

Cut Mike Daniels?

I think he gets another shot to show that he can get it done.  He's been a leader, and a very productive when healthy.  I don't think he's even on the radar to being a potential cut.

Cut Bryan Bulaga?

I hate that he is hurt so often, but he's a solid tackle when healthy, and he seems to battle thru a lot of stuff these days.  I don't want to create a big question mark at RT by releasing him .. keep him for another season and hope he plays the majority of the games.  I think the Packers will try to rework his deal and may release him this time around if he balks.  They may feel Spriggs will come into his own if he gets regular action at RT.

Cut Tramon Williams?

If things go according to plan we will probably add enough talent to push him off the roster.  He's a good 'ol pro who brings some versatility and leadership, but he's ancient.  Gute will more than likely move on.

Cut Mason Crosby?

It's time to give him very serious competition at least .. if he gets beat out or the battle is close you cut him loose.  I think we'll have a new kicker next year, and it probably will be an adventure.

I'm of the position of cutting guys a year too early rather than a year too late. Having said that I've voiced my opinion on this subject. I will say, I've softened my position on Bulaga assuming keeping him doesn't prevent signing who we need. 

I do NOT want Cobb or Matthews back at any price. They will take away valuable snaps from younger, more productive players. We have to upgrade EDGE rushers. Both will get over 5 million a year on their new contract, that i do believe. 

Tramon and Crosby are no-brainers to cut, the rest of the guys stay IMO.

Perry is a solid fit when healthy, and he costs over $11million to cut this off-season. If I can get Trey Flowers or Brandon Graham or Dee Ford, I use Perry's money for them instead though.

Daniels is a tough locker room cut, but if the choice is Daniels and Perry vs Wilkerson and Flowers, I take the latter pair.

There's no one better than Graham (other than Jared Cook) on the market, so he's an easy keep IMO.

Bulaga is an easy keep too.

In summary:

Tramon and Crosby are gone.

Perry and Daniels are gone if I can get a blue chip edge guy in the market instead. If I can't, then I keep them.

Graham and Bulaga are easy keeps.

9 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Bulaga got cut and Spriggs was given the starting job. Bulaga is no doubt better, but cost, injuries, age matters. Spriggs wasn’t terrible. If TT was still in charge I’d be confident this would happen.

This scares the **** out of me. No way you can cut Bulaga without having a better option than Spriggs, like a 1st round pick at a mimimum. 

3 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Martinez and King are starters without question. King has started every game when he wasnt injured so I count him.

King has been hurt and out of as many games as he has played.  Hard to fathom him as a starter if he's a pine martin on the bench with frickin injuries.  He can only be a starter if he is on the field. Here's hoping next year is better for him but I'm not holding my breath.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Brice started 3 games at Safety in 2017 because everybody was hurt. 

This is a bottom of the roster guy. He got one chance in 2018 to show he had what it takes to hang. Didn't have it. Back to the bottom of the roster. 

Very bottom of the roster.

1. Nick Perry - I'm cutting ties if I'm GB. They're gonna eat money either way but they gotta stop holding onto overpaid, poorly producing players. Even worse is with his injury history it's not like you can rely on him for a full 16 game season. My thinking since midseason has been that Gute will do a complete washing of the OLB group and overhaul it significantly this offseason. Cutting Perry is part of that process. Not an easy decision with the dead $$$ but I think Gute bites the bullet and does it. VERDICT: CUT

2. Jimmy Graham - Gute swung and missed on his big FA signing in year 1, especially after watching another FA TE in Ebron have a huge year for pennies compared to what GB gave Graham. At this stage in his career,  it's obvious that Graham isn't much of a difference maker anymore. That said, GB's TE depth chart is still very weak so I think Graham sticks around next season. VERDICT: STAYS

3. Mike Daniels - This is the easiest one for me. Daniels is still a good player and is going into the last year of his contract. Don't see any reason to cut him. VERDICT: STAYS

4. Bryan Bulaga - I can see arguments for both sides on this one but I think he sticks around too. GB has big time needs at both OG spots along the line and I don't like creating another hole at RT. Yes, it's very likely that Bulaga will get hurt and miss time. He's going to be 30 yrs old but is an old 30 with all the wear and tear he's suffered. That said, when he's on the field you know you're still getting good production. Drafting an OT prospect is a must though. VERDICT: STAYS

5. Tramon Williams - Pretty easy cut for me. I'm not opposed to bringing him back as veteran Safety depth but not at the $6.3M cap hit he's set to have for 2019. VERDICT: CUT

6. Mason Crosby - Either he takes a big time paycut + the team brings in competition, or he's out for me. GB has a lot of needs on this roster and they can't have a middle of the road Kicker being top 10 with regards to their cap hit and being top 5 among his peers in $$$ when he didn't come close to being a top 5 kicker. VERDICT: CUT

4 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

1. Nick Perry - I'm cutting ties if I'm GB. They're gonna eat money either way but they gotta stop holding onto overpaid, poorly producing players. Even worse is with his injury history it's not like you can rely on him for a full 16 game season. My thinking since midseason has been that Gute will do a complete washing of the OLB group and overhaul it significantly this offseason. Cutting Perry is part of that process. Not an easy decision with the dead $$$ but I think Gute bites the bullet and does it. VERDICT: CUT

2. Jimmy Graham - Gute swung and missed on his big FA signing in year 1, especially after watching another FA TE in Ebron have a huge year for pennies compared to what GB gave Graham. At this stage in his career,  it's obvious that Graham isn't much of a difference maker anymore. That said, GB's TE depth chart is still very weak so I think Graham sticks around next season. VERDICT: STAYS

3. Mike Daniels - This is the easiest one for me. Daniels is still a good player and is going into the last year of his contract. Don't see any reason to cut him. VERDICT: STAYS

4. Bryan Bulaga - I can see arguments for both sides on this one but I think he sticks around too. GB has big time needs at both OG spots along the line and I don't like creating another hole at RT. Yes, it's very likely that Bulaga will get hurt and miss time. He's going to be 30 yrs old but is an old 30 with all the wear and tear he's suffered. That said, when he's on the field you know you're still getting good production. Drafting an OT prospect is a must though. VERDICT: STAYS

5. Tramon Williams - Pretty easy cut for me. I'm not opposed to bringing him back as veteran Safety depth but not at the $6.3M cap hit he's set to have for 2019. VERDICT: CUT

6. Mason Crosby - Either he takes a big time paycut + the team brings in competition, or he's out for me. GB has a lot of needs on this roster and they can't have a middle of the road Kicker being top 10 with regards to their cap hit and being top 5 among his peers in $$$ when he didn't come close to being a top 5 kicker. VERDICT: CUT

I think this is correct. I could see Crosby staying too although not my cup of tea. 

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Is Daniels obviously the best way to spend $8.5million for us next year?

With Clark and a surprising showing from Lancaster and a young Adams and Wilkerson and other FA DTs?

Add a high quality free agent (or 2) and it's not the best use of 8.5 million.  Young Adams though hasn't shown squat when counted on and don't expect anything from him.  

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Add a high quality free agent (or 2) and it's not the best use of 8.5 million.  Young Adams though hasn't shown squat when counted on and don't expect anything from him.  

If we can get wilk for half of Daniels hit, a IDL of Clark, Wilk, Lancaster, Adams/rookie doesn't look too bad.

Archived