Offseason plans? Yea sadly it's that time.

warfelg

So I'm going to stay above the fray of coach/FO changes and focus just on player personnel changes.  The projected cap is between $187 million and $191 million; so I'm splitting the difference at $189 million.

Right now we have a cap hit of $187,836,461 on the books as is.

Roll over the Bell space and other space and we have $20,707,633 in cp space.

CUTS:

Marcus Gilbert, Bud Dupree, Morgan Burnett.  I previewed these three before, and they save us $17.8 million against the cap.  

This creates a total of $38,507,633

RESTRUCTURES & EXTENSIONS

Ben Roethlisberger - His cap hit in the 2019 season is $23,200,000 million.  So I would give him a 2 year extension, convert that $23,200,000 to guaranteed money in the 2019 and 2020 seasons.  Add to it another $35 million to the deal.  In reality it ends up a 3 year, $58million deal.  The break down would go:

2019 - $13.2mil guaranteed, $6.8mil base salary, $20mil total cap hit.  2020 - $10mil guaranteed roster bonus, $6mil signing bonus, $5mil base salary, $21mil total cap hit.  2021 - $17.2mil base salary.

What that does is give him more guarantees over the years, while protecting us in the last year of the new deal by not tying down any guarantees to it so if he retires we're in the clear.

Maurkice Pouncey - He's owed a cap hit of $7,951,000 in 2019.  Like Ben, I would extend him out, but this time 3 years.  Convert his 2019 cap hit to a bonus and spread it through the full 4 years.  Add in new money at $15mil, reducing this years cap hit to a total of $6million.

David DeCastro - Restructure from ~$12mil to ~$8mil.

These changes improve our cap space in 2019 to $47,658,633

TRADE

Antonio Brown + 2020 4th (conditional 3rd on Super Bowl appearance, 5th on missing playoffs) FOR Titans 1-19, Titans 3-19, 2020 3rd

Some accounting here:

We only clear $1mil in sending out Brown, and take on $500K in bringing in Landry.  We also have to account for the increased about $8mil that the 2 extra picks would bring on.

FREE AGENTS

So off the cap space, we can assume we're going to spend about $38million in free agency.

Jadeveon Clowney - Yes the Texans have the cap space to sign him or tag him.  But if they don't exclusive tag I'm all in on trying to get him.  I put this out there: 5 years, $85 million.  That's just shy of what Mack and Donald got.  Clowney would give us the TRUE ability to play hybrid.  I would set up his contract with $20mil due this year alone.

Kwon Alexander - Been one of the bright points in Tampa with their defense, but they have too many issues to spend on keeping him alone.  I would suggest a 3 year $26 million deal, with $10mil paid in the first year.

Bradley Roby - Like Tampa, Denver is in a situation cap wise that spending what it would take to keep Roby would likely cost more than they want in order to keep other parts.  I would offer him the remaining $8mil in year one that we would have available to spend at that point.

DRAFT

Ok, so going into the draft we have: 1-19, 1-20, 2-20, 3-19, 3-20, 4-20, 6-4, 6-20, 7-5

TRADE - I would send out 1-19, 3-20, our 2020 2nd FOR Detroit 1-5 and 5-5

Round 1 Pick 5 -  Devin White, LB, LSU

Round 1 Pick 20 - Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

Round 2 Pick 20 - Collin Johnson, WR, Texas

Round 3 Pick 19 - Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA

Round 4 Pick 20 - Dru Samia, OG, Okalahoma

Round 5 Pick 5 - Olive Sagapolu, DT, Wisconsin

Round 6 Pick 4 - James Gardner, WR, Miami (Ohio)

Round 6 Pick 20 - Jessie Burket, OC, Stanford

Round 7 Pick 5 - Bennie Snell Jr, RB, Kentucky

So after all said and done (Starter in bold)

OL: Villanueva - Samia - Pouncey - DeCastro - Feiler Chucky, Finney, Burket

TE: Vance McDonald, Caleb Wilson, Jesse James

WR: Juju Smith-Schuester, James Washington, Ryan Switzer, Collin Johnson, James Gardner

RB: James Conner, Jaylen Samuel, Bennie Snell

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph

DL: Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargraves, Tyson Alualu, Olive Sagapolu

OLB: Jadeveon Clowney, TJ Watt, Ola Adinaydi, Anthony Chickilo

ILB: Kwon Alexander, Devin White, Jon Bostic, Vince Williams, LJ Forte

CB: Joe Haden, Bradley Roby, Trevon Diggs, Mike Hilton, Artie burns, Cam Sutton

SS: Terrell Edwards, Jordan Dangerfield, Nat Berhe

FS: Adrian Amos, Sean Davis

I don’t really want to trade Brown. Your offseason is cooland the defense looks legit, but man that offense would be bad. I suppose if Washington made great leaps we’d be ok but I think we saw what our offense would look like without AB against Cinci. I don’t trust JuJu as the #1 and I darn sure don’t trust Washington as my #2. Or Switzer as the 3. So on and so forth. 

I would LOVE getting Clowney, though. He’s basically Dupree but with superhuman strength and he’s put it together a bit more. 

Something I've been mulling around is the idea of signing some typical stout 4-3 DE’s like Markus Golden to be our backup DEs. I like Alualu but he doesn’t provide anything but average run stopping. We can keep him on the short and sign someone who is stout enough to play the run but can get after the QB more than Alualu and LT Walton. Then we can actually rotate our linemen to keep them fresh and still provide some pass rush.

If the Texans do not use the exclusive tag on Clowney the Texans can match any offer.  He is not going anywhere.  Your best bet is getting Clay Mathews or Anthony Barr.

Could trade after June 1st so you could spread out the hit but why?  this will all blow over in a couple of weeks.

Even in the trade charts the move up to 5 is expensive.  An even trade would be #1, #2, #3 and 2020 #1 But why would Detroit do an even trade?

You want Devin White you get in front of the Bengals (drafting 11).

Here is my take on Bud:

For once the team isn’t up against the cap. Dupree is a serviceable starter who won’t ever figure out the pass rush. They can afford to overpay him for one year while developing his replacement. If they can get an upgrade in FA maybe cutting him is an option.  Replace Porter instead.

44 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Here is my take on Bud:

For once the team isn’t up against the cap. Dupree is a serviceable starter who won’t ever figure out the pass rush. They can afford to overpay him for one year while developing his replacement. If they can get an upgrade in FA maybe cutting him is an option.  Replace Porter instead.

To me Bud not getting hurt was a godsend.  Means we can massively lower that cap hit because it's not guaranteed now.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

To me Bud not getting hurt was a godsend.  Means we can massively lower that cap hit because it's not guaranteed now.

Amen. He has definitely improved but to me, he still isnt worth $9M a year. I wouldnt mind seeing another legit OLB added and using a 3 man rotation with Watt, Dupree, and said FA/rookie.

7 hours ago, jebrick said:

Here is my take on Bud:

Nope.  Offer Shane Ray a prove it one year  deal and develop Adeyini. Chickillo is as good as dupree and a fraction of the cost, so bye bye dupree.  Another colbert pick went wrong.

2 hours ago, muncher said:

id save every penny the league would allow us to and use it the year ben and tomlin leave

so 3 years from now? I agree though, it's almost a waste if they can't get it right. Even if they spend , this core could be a fault that no UFA haul can fix anyways.

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

he played the entire season on the blind side, and failed.  Time to move on.  TJ Watt's rookie season was better than any of dupree's seasons.  Same coaches, same team, so no need to blame them. For colbert  to trade/let go dupree and burns  really shows how he failed in RD on those drafts.

6 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Nope.  Offer Shane Ray a prove it one year  deal and develop Adeyini. Chickillo is as good as dupree and a fraction of the cost, so bye bye dupree.  Another colbert pick went wrong.

so 3 years from now? I agree though, it's almost a waste if they can't get it right. Even if they spend , this core could be a fault that no UFA haul can fix anyways.

he played the entire season on the blind side, and failed.  Time to move on.  TJ Watt's rookie season was better than any of dupree's seasons.  Same coaches, same team, so no need to blame them. For colbert  to trade/let go dupree and burns  really shows how he failed in RD on those drafts.

Your are either blind with hatred for Dupree or stupid.  Chick sucks.  He is a ST player only.  Can't cover as well as Dupree.  Can't set the edge.  Can't pass rush at all. 

Dupree had constant pressure on the QB this season.  There is no one on the roster that has shown that they are even an adequate replacement. 

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Your are either blind with hatred for Dupree or stupid.  Chick sucks.  He is a ST player only.  Can't cover as well as Dupree.  Can't set the edge.  Can't pass rush at all. 

Dupree had constant pressure on the QB this season.  There is no one on the roster that has shown that they are even an adequate replacement. 

It's his pattern to love the backup more than the starter and continually claim their better.

As for the Dupree stuff:  yea he got close a lot, that doesn't mean we're set there.  He still needs to either be let go and force ourselves to bring someone new; or we need to undo the option, spread out that hit, and still bring in a challenger.

Good info/thoughts in your original post. Dont think it will happen

My vague thoughts - 4 out their first five picks should be defensive players.

The FO has to go out of their box and sign a couple free agents this year.Hopefully a couple mid range that will help this team next year.

If not 10-6 or 9-7 again

Archived