Offseason plans? Yea sadly it's that time.

warfelg

On 1/2/2019 at 6:24 AM, warfelg said:

So I'm going to stay above the fray of coach/FO changes and focus just on player personnel changes.  The projected cap is between $187 million and $191 million; so I'm splitting the difference at $189 million.

Right now we have a cap hit of $187,836,461 on the books as is.

Roll over the Bell space and other space and we have $20,707,633 in cp space.

CUTS:

Marcus Gilbert, Bud Dupree, Morgan Burnett.  I previewed these three before, and they save us $17.8 million against the cap.  

This creates a total of $38,507,633

RESTRUCTURES & EXTENSIONS

Ben Roethlisberger - His cap hit in the 2019 season is $23,200,000 million.  So I would give him a 2 year extension, convert that $23,200,000 to guaranteed money in the 2019 and 2020 seasons.  Add to it another $35 million to the deal.  In reality it ends up a 3 year, $58million deal.  The break down would go:

2019 - $13.2mil guaranteed, $6.8mil base salary, $20mil total cap hit.  2020 - $10mil guaranteed roster bonus, $6mil signing bonus, $5mil base salary, $21mil total cap hit.  2021 - $17.2mil base salary.

What that does is give him more guarantees over the years, while protecting us in the last year of the new deal by not tying down any guarantees to it so if he retires we're in the clear.

Maurkice Pouncey - He's owed a cap hit of $7,951,000 in 2019.  Like Ben, I would extend him out, but this time 3 years.  Convert his 2019 cap hit to a bonus and spread it through the full 4 years.  Add in new money at $15mil, reducing this years cap hit to a total of $6million.

David DeCastro - Restructure from ~$12mil to ~$8mil.

These changes improve our cap space in 2019 to $47,658,633

TRADE

Antonio Brown + 2020 4th (conditional 3rd on Super Bowl appearance, 5th on missing playoffs) FOR Titans 1-19, Titans 3-19, 2020 3rd

Some accounting here:

We only clear $1mil in sending out Brown, and take on $500K in bringing in Landry.  We also have to account for the increased about $8mil that the 2 extra picks would bring on.

FREE AGENTS

So off the cap space, we can assume we're going to spend about $38million in free agency.

Jadeveon Clowney - Yes the Texans have the cap space to sign him or tag him.  But if they don't exclusive tag I'm all in on trying to get him.  I put this out there: 5 years, $85 million.  That's just shy of what Mack and Donald got.  Clowney would give us the TRUE ability to play hybrid.  I would set up his contract with $20mil due this year alone.

Kwon Alexander - Been one of the bright points in Tampa with their defense, but they have too many issues to spend on keeping him alone.  I would suggest a 3 year $26 million deal, with $10mil paid in the first year.

Bradley Roby - Like Tampa, Denver is in a situation cap wise that spending what it would take to keep Roby would likely cost more than they want in order to keep other parts.  I would offer him the remaining $8mil in year one that we would have available to spend at that point.

DRAFT

Ok, so going into the draft we have: 1-19, 1-20, 2-20, 3-19, 3-20, 4-20, 6-4, 6-20, 7-5

TRADE - I would send out 1-19, 3-20, our 2020 2nd FOR Detroit 1-5 and 5-5

Round 1 Pick 5 -  Devin White, LB, LSU

Round 1 Pick 20 - Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

Round 2 Pick 20 - Collin Johnson, WR, Texas

Round 3 Pick 19 - Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA

Round 4 Pick 20 - Dru Samia, OG, Okalahoma

Round 5 Pick 5 - Olive Sagapolu, DT, Wisconsin

Round 6 Pick 4 - James Gardner, WR, Miami (Ohio)

Round 6 Pick 20 - Jessie Burket, OC, Stanford

Round 7 Pick 5 - Bennie Snell Jr, RB, Kentucky

So after all said and done (Starter in bold)

OL: Villanueva - Samia - Pouncey - DeCastro - Feiler Chucky, Finney, Burket

TE: Vance McDonald, Caleb Wilson, Jesse James

WR: Juju Smith-Schuester, James Washington, Ryan Switzer, Collin Johnson, James Gardner

RB: James Conner, Jaylen Samuel, Bennie Snell

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph

DL: Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargraves, Tyson Alualu, Olive Sagapolu

OLB: Jadeveon Clowney, TJ Watt, Ola Adinaydi, Anthony Chickilo

ILB: Kwon Alexander, Devin White, Jon Bostic, Vince Williams, LJ Forte

CB: Joe Haden, Bradley Roby, Trevon Diggs, Mike Hilton, Artie burns, Cam Sutton

SS: Terrell Edwards, Jordan Dangerfield, Nat Berhe

FS: Adrian Amos, Sean Davis

I'd love everything about this...except the draft.
I just think there are better players at those points in the draft.
But that'd be a very good off season.
And I do think Brown is getting traded.

First problem I have is you paid Ben like Blake Bortles. That's not happening. And here is where we delve into the "Ben problem". He'll want paid near Rodgers while still maintaining look guys team discount. To re-sign Ben, it will require another $100m deal. See - this is why I trade him. From where I stand, you and your agent ****ed up. You didn't count your years correctly. I can have you play this year and then tag you if need be. You don't got more than that. That's your best case. The problem with that is "Ben tears". It's a PR nightmare. He cries. He *******. He moans. Ben - I'm not dealing with your bull****. Plus, he's sitting there right on the plateau, so I just let him go over. I'd rather get rid of a guy a year too early than a year too late. Nevermind, the $100m you just sank into him. He'll get $27M AAV minimum  

Ben Roethlisberger 4 years, $110m is what I expect him to get by say.... Jacksonville. 

Bud Dupree is a guaranteed $9m so you can't cut him. But I like a trade here after we bring in a true complement to TJ Watt. Clowney will be tagged here and matched if you go exclusive route. He's not leaving Houston. I see your 5 years, $80m and raise it to 5 years, $100m. Which will still be matched. Problem is his heart isn't the game. Which is a damn shame. I like Dante Fowler at 5 years, $80m and he's a Steeler. Through and through. Him and Watt and we have an identity on defense. I really do think I can get a pick back for Dupree like a 5th or 6th. And after I sign my guy - to someone who was in the running - trade Dupree to that team   

Keep Gilbert. No need to cut him at $6m. That's not part of the problem. When he wants to talk extension he can go **** himself. 

Burnett is part of the problem. Too slow. Bad UFA signing. 

Kwon Alexander will get $10m AAV plus. It's not 2006. Teams have $180m to spend on players. I prefer a safety here. Hope Landon Collins hits the market and I'd give him 5 years, $60m. Which is top of the market safety money. 

I love over me some Devin White and that's about his range. Top 5. Top 10. I'd just never take him there unless I was in a full rebuild. Like, say, for Oakland. Maybe after a trade back with Denver from 4 to 10 so they get their QB. First three teams don't need QB and there's no QB going buck wild on a trade. And then OAK trade back up with Jacksonville at #7 to take Devin White. 

And who you kidding with Bennie Snell rd 7. He's pretty good. What about Henderson?

On 1/1/2019 at 2:24 PM, warfelg said:

So I'm going to stay above the fray of coach/FO changes and focus just on player personnel changes.  The projected cap is between $187 million and $191 million; so I'm splitting the difference at $189 million.

Right now we have a cap hit of $187,836,461 on the books as is.

Roll over the Bell space and other space and we have $20,707,633 in cp space.

CUTS:

Marcus Gilbert, Bud Dupree, Morgan Burnett.  I previewed these three before, and they save us $17.8 million against the cap.  

This creates a total of $38,507,633

RESTRUCTURES & EXTENSIONS

Ben Roethlisberger - His cap hit in the 2019 season is $23,200,000 million.  So I would give him a 2 year extension, convert that $23,200,000 to guaranteed money in the 2019 and 2020 seasons.  Add to it another $35 million to the deal.  In reality it ends up a 3 year, $58million deal.  The break down would go:

2019 - $13.2mil guaranteed, $6.8mil base salary, $20mil total cap hit.  2020 - $10mil guaranteed roster bonus, $6mil signing bonus, $5mil base salary, $21mil total cap hit.  2021 - $17.2mil base salary.

What that does is give him more guarantees over the years, while protecting us in the last year of the new deal by not tying down any guarantees to it so if he retires we're in the clear.

Maurkice Pouncey - He's owed a cap hit of $7,951,000 in 2019.  Like Ben, I would extend him out, but this time 3 years.  Convert his 2019 cap hit to a bonus and spread it through the full 4 years.  Add in new money at $15mil, reducing this years cap hit to a total of $6million.

David DeCastro - Restructure from ~$12mil to ~$8mil.

These changes improve our cap space in 2019 to $47,658,633

TRADE

Antonio Brown + 2020 4th (conditional 3rd on Super Bowl appearance, 5th on missing playoffs) FOR Titans 1-19, Titans 3-19, 2020 3rd

Some accounting here:

We only clear $1mil in sending out Brown, and take on $500K in bringing in Landry.  We also have to account for the increased about $8mil that the 2 extra picks would bring on.

FREE AGENTS

So off the cap space, we can assume we're going to spend about $38million in free agency.

Jadeveon Clowney - Yes the Texans have the cap space to sign him or tag him.  But if they don't exclusive tag I'm all in on trying to get him.  I put this out there: 5 years, $85 million.  That's just shy of what Mack and Donald got.  Clowney would give us the TRUE ability to play hybrid.  I would set up his contract with $20mil due this year alone.

Kwon Alexander - Been one of the bright points in Tampa with their defense, but they have too many issues to spend on keeping him alone.  I would suggest a 3 year $26 million deal, with $10mil paid in the first year.

Bradley Roby - Like Tampa, Denver is in a situation cap wise that spending what it would take to keep Roby would likely cost more than they want in order to keep other parts.  I would offer him the remaining $8mil in year one that we would have available to spend at that point.

DRAFT

Ok, so going into the draft we have: 1-19, 1-20, 2-20, 3-19, 3-20, 4-20, 6-4, 6-20, 7-5

TRADE - I would send out 1-19, 3-20, our 2020 2nd FOR Detroit 1-5 and 5-5

Round 1 Pick 5 -  Devin White, LB, LSU

Round 1 Pick 20 - Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

Round 2 Pick 20 - Collin Johnson, WR, Texas

Round 3 Pick 19 - Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA

Round 4 Pick 20 - Dru Samia, OG, Okalahoma

Round 5 Pick 5 - Olive Sagapolu, DT, Wisconsin

Round 6 Pick 4 - James Gardner, WR, Miami (Ohio)

Round 6 Pick 20 - Jessie Burket, OC, Stanford

Round 7 Pick 5 - Bennie Snell Jr, RB, Kentucky

So after all said and done (Starter in bold)

OL: Villanueva - Samia - Pouncey - DeCastro - Feiler Chucky, Finney, Burket

TE: Vance McDonald, Caleb Wilson, Jesse James

WR: Juju Smith-Schuester, James Washington, Ryan Switzer, Collin Johnson, James Gardner

RB: James Conner, Jaylen Samuel, Bennie Snell

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph

DL: Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Javon Hargraves, Tyson Alualu, Olive Sagapolu

OLB: Jadeveon Clowney, TJ Watt, Ola Adinaydi, Anthony Chickilo

ILB: Kwon Alexander, Devin White, Jon Bostic, Vince Williams, LJ Forte

CB: Joe Haden, Bradley Roby, Trevon Diggs, Mike Hilton, Artie burns, Cam Sutton

SS: Terrell Edwards, Jordan Dangerfield, Nat Berhe

FS: Adrian Amos, Sean Davis

I’m in sign me up

Archived